M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

After Market Mufflers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2003, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ml 430
After Market Mufflers

Has anyone tried fitting aftermarket mufflers not ML 430 specific, such as Borla, Corsa,Gibson, or even, Dynomax. There has to be less expensive alternitives out there. I just purchased a 99 for my Family truckster, and being a hotrodder at heart, I have started yet another foray into fixing something that isnt broke!
Old 01-29-2003, 04:35 PM

03 ML500
Angry

Good luck!!
I just bought a 03 ML myself and is stund($2300) by the price I been quoted for exhaust systems. I'm use to the $350 ~ $800 range.
I have call everywhere and if it made for ML as a bolt on you looking at around $1800 and for the custom made to fit from a good brand like Remus its around $1100.
Basically at this point I'm giving up unless someone got an used one for sale.
Old 01-30-2003, 11:36 AM

Ml 430
I have just started the battle! I will try the easy way first, hoping someone has done the research on their own. If I have no luck, I will do it myself. This isnt rocket science, the only major hurdle is finding a muffler with similar dimentions , exhaust inlets, and flow. I would think the odds are in our favor, as there are a ton of domestic v8 motors of similar displacment. As for the plumbing, any well known performance muffler shop(DO NOT GO TO MIDAS OR ANY OTHER MAJOR CHAIN) would be able to do the necessary mandrel bends and hangers in stainless for a minimal cost. As for the sound level...This my take some experimenting. I will keep you posted, if you are interested.
Old 01-30-2003, 12:58 PM

03 ML500
Talking

Thanks, Please do keep me posted. I'm still thinking about getting a exhaust everyday coming from my street racing back ground. Just can settle with a car without exhaust/wheel/suspension mods. If you know what I mean!!
Old 01-31-2003, 10:12 PM

'98 ML 320
I just got a new catback exhaust system on my '98 ML320. Ive got a Dynomax muffler, three inch tubing all the way back, and a dual 100mm Corsa tip. it works real well, pretty deep bass, sounds like a Mercedes V6 should. Well, about as good as a 3.2 liter V6 should, without getting too obnoxiously loud... who would want that anyway?? It all cost me $760 installed, so I got a lot for the buck... the Corsa tip looks real nice, ill try to post some pics. Oh and with a K&N performance air filter for the intake up front, this engine's got all the air it needs and it can get rid of its exhaust real easily. The car loves it, sounds beautiful and in total Ive probably added about 25 horses to its power.
Old 01-31-2003, 10:16 PM

'82 turbo yugo
Originally posted by Marzocchi
The car loves it, sounds beautiful and in total Ive probably added about 25 horses to its power.
LOL.

Did you dyno it or is this yet another "butt-o-meter" reading?

The placebo effect is alive and well.
Old 01-31-2003, 10:17 PM

'82 turbo yugo
Originally posted by m500
Thanks, Please do keep me posted. I'm still thinking about getting a exhaust everyday coming from my street racing back ground.
Is your "street racing background" something that you're actually proud of?

Trending Topics

Old 02-03-2003, 02:59 AM

1999 ML320
street racing

why shouldn't it be?
Old 02-03-2003, 08:26 AM
Almost a Member!

ml320
Marzocchi
Pls post some pictures - I'm interested.

Also when you say K&N filter are you talking about the replacement element in the stock air box?
Old 02-03-2003, 04:33 PM

'82 turbo yugo
Re: street racing

Originally posted by dj plastic fork
why shouldn't it be?
Because it's lame, for wannabe "racers," and puts innocent people at risk, for starters.
Old 02-04-2003, 02:01 AM

03 ML500 inspiration
I have Remus. I like it a lot

Old 02-04-2003, 05:20 AM

ML500
Man-du, is that you?

You man, can't stay in one place.
I am checking this forum as well.
Anyway, subject mufflers.
Well, you can spend all you want. I got me a 3 cam Flowmaster installed for just $150. If you want more noise get a 2 cam. These mufflers are very popular amongst off-roaders because of free air-flow. Anyway, I know "some Pete guy" from another forum, always criticizing, and never supporting, but I don't care anymore. I also drop a K&N filter in the original air box and I gained almost 10% more power (measured in my dyno-butt in a trip thru Death Valley were you need all the torque you can get)
Ok "some Pete guy", what's you reply? I am waiting for your comment with a happy face, because that's what you need.
Old Muffler
3 cam Flowmaster

Last edited by BETO; 02-04-2003 at 05:24 AM.
Old 02-04-2003, 10:03 AM

03 ML500 inspiration
Beto, yeah its me, I'am everywhere

I'm also in the BMW, 350Z and Ferrari forums. But my "players club" is at Benz World W163. Nice Flowmasters. How'd they sound??

I painted my weld spots black so they dont rust. I'll take some pics and post.
Old 02-04-2003, 12:20 PM

Ml 430
Thats what I was hoping for!

You the man Bento! The pictures look like you had to do some alterations to the inlet side of the muffler? What model number was the muffler? How is the sound level? This was a 4.3 right?

Thanks Chris
Old 02-04-2003, 12:54 PM

'82 turbo yugo
Re: Man-du, is that you?

Originally posted by BETO
[B]You man, can't stay in one place.
I am checking this forum as well.
Anyway, subject mufflers.
Well, you can spend all you want. I got me a 3 cam Flowmaster installed for just $150. If you want more noise get a 2 cam. These mufflers are very popular amongst off-roaders because of free air-flow. Anyway, I know "some Pete guy" from another forum, always criticizing, and never supporting, but I don't care anymore.
[B]
Hmmm...so you don't care, but you did have to reply regarding me. Do you see that you don't make any sense?

"Always criticizing" huh? Perhaps you should participate in a formu before you make that kind of unsubstantiated claim. You're falling into the same trap that you did on Drew's rice forum.

[B] I also drop a K&N filter in the original air box and I gained almost 10% more power (measured in my dyno-butt in a trip thru Death Valley were you need all the torque you can get)[B]
Absolute BS but if believing a myth makes you feel better about your truck, more power to you.

[B]
Ok "some Pete guy", what's you reply? I am waiting for your comment with a happy face, because that's what you need.
[B]
My reply is that poseurs like you make me laugh.

Especially folks who like to prattle on about how they love "off road" when they have never used low gear off road. Please.

And finally, it's your absolute shallowness that is most amusing:

"I bought the ML because of "status". I did not care about safety ratings, performance, off-road abilities. Hey, I am driving a Mercedes Benz, which according to some stats, only less than 10% of the population can afford one. Needless to say, that makes me one of the few and proud owner of a MB.
Would I buy another vehicle? Perhaps. Would I get another MB? Possitive, may not be an SUV, but I need to have a MB for my "status"

More examples of your silliness available by request.

The lesson for you to take away from this:

Be careful about what you ask for.

Best of luck.
Old 02-04-2003, 01:00 PM

03 ML500 inspiration
I street race

Originally posted by Some Pete Guy
Is your "street racing background" something that you're actually proud of?
I think it is much safer than "stop light to stop light" runs.
Atleast it is on a straight away with no other cars except the ones participating.

I'm sure John Force and Dale Jr. Thought it was stupid too when they were street racing back in the days.
Old 02-04-2003, 01:14 PM

Ml 430
COME ON!!!

Please start another link guys, if you want to continue with this BS. I posted this thread for info, not to keep coming back to read your banter.

Thanks
Old 02-04-2003, 01:33 PM

'82 turbo yugo
Re: I street race

Originally posted by ml500bangbus
I think it is much safer than "stop light to stop light" runs.
Atleast it is on a straight away with no other cars except the ones participating.

I'm sure John Force and Dale Jr. Thought it was stupid too when they were street racing back in the days.
You can't guarantee that there are no other cars.

If you want to race, take it to the track. It's simple.
Old 02-04-2003, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
If you don't care about what "Some Pete Guy" has to say, simply put him on your block list. Do not provoke arguments. I'd have to agree with him though, leave racing for the tracks. I think there is enough about exhausts in this thread, therefore its now closed.