M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Conversion to V60 from Timeport?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2003, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Conversion to V60 from Timeport?

Has anyone done this? Through the dealer or on your own? Appreciate any help as to what is involved and the cost.
Old 03-11-2003, 11:09 AM

2002 S430
Found this, hope it helps!

http://www.whnet.com/4x4/fon-install.html
Old 03-11-2003, 09:53 PM

thanks for the info. Has anyone had this done at the dealer?

nt
Old 03-29-2003, 12:05 AM

2002 ML500
Thumbs down About V60

I already had a Motorola V60 when I got my ML500, and not wanting to spend another $1500 to $2000 for the OEM phone, I asked the dealer if I could just get an accessory kit to use my current phone(which even when they first came out, I paid about $300). Not surprisingly, they said no, and it was due to the M-B supplied phone having dedicated sotware. Maybe just a case of them not wanting competition?
F.Y.I. epa says 17mpg highway, I constantly average over 21mpg, usually traveling 70-80.
Better than my Audi A4 V6 2.8. So much for all SUV's being gas guzzling pigs.

'02 ML500, everest green/ java leather
convenience pkg, sunroof pkg, bose, xenon, nav cd collection

Last edited by lobster; 03-29-2003 at 12:09 AM.
Old 03-30-2003, 08:09 AM

I do think that the dealer is correct, there is a substantial amount of cabling that allows the phone to use the stereo speakers and there is software that allows an incoming call to interrupt the music, etc, including the cd player.

However, I would think that in the case of an already installed timeport, the conversion would simply be replacing the cradle to fit the smaller phone. Maybe just wishful thinking.

Thanks for the response.
Old 04-22-2003, 10:44 AM

'03 ML500 Sport
Software

The phone that you are trying to install, whatever it may be, MUST have MB software to be compatible with the vehicle. Don't bother calling Motorola, they have washed their hands of all those MB phones since MB uses their own software. "It's no longer a Motorola phone" they say. If you ever need any help with a MB phone, get a hold of Neil at MB's cutomer service number. Neil solved a problem for me that was quite amazing (PRL list updated over the air).
Old 04-24-2003, 09:51 AM

Hi Jim. Good info. Actually, I don't currently have a V60, and depending on the price would be willing to purchase the phone from the dealer. I just don't know if it will be a simple matter to replace the timeport with a V 60 by just replacing the cradle it plugs in to.

Thanks for the response.

John
Old 11-15-2004, 12:12 AM

'03 ML500 Sport
As a matter of fact...

I recently (July 2004) lost my OEM V60c over the edge of my dock. I HAD to get a new cradle to fit the newer V60"s" phone. Thankfully, my homeowners insurance covered the phone, cradle and installation ($800+). If you have a phone associated with your car, MAKE SURE that your auto insurer covers it. Mine did not, and I had already setup a "rider" within the homeowners policy...Whew! To make a long story even longer, the dealer HAD to do the installation, using various cables and computers to get the new phone and cradle associated with the car. I HAD to get a newer "updated" V60s because of the GPS requirements. The speaker phone is surprisingly useful. I love the integrated phone, but I really wish I could get a nicer "Moto."
Old 11-15-2004, 06:06 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
You will need a new handset, cradle, cord, and very likely a new PSE module. All the other stuff should work just fine. Some of the later PSE modules are compatible with both timeport and V-60, but most of them are not. Count a new one.
Correct about the software in the phone being MB specific. I have even had customers get their phone software upgraded, which essentially ruined the phone because it would no longer work in the car. DO NOT let them flash your handset!
All the phones on D2B cars are upgradable to the latest and greatest available. Depending on what you already have we can just replace whats needed to upgrade. All the pre wiring is the same and fully compatible. We can also add any phone to any prewired car easily.
Keep in mind that currently the V-60 is still the latest phone available right now, and older phones are simply not available for new activations. If you want to add or upgrade, a V-60 is your only option in a fully compatible factory installed version. Some folks have hacked their way in and have limited success using other phones, but then you have no warranty and your average tech won't even look at it.