M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Brake Dust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2003, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 ML500 Sport
Angry Brake Dust

I've owned an M-Class since 1998 and have yet to figure out the best solution for COMPLETELY removing stains from the wheels. I live in PA and there is NO WAY that I would be able to wipe down the wheels once per week. I am well aware that all the M's really eat brakes, but this new 500 seems to be worse than the last. I've tried almost every "acid-free" wheel cleaner out there, they all do about the same job. I'm about to purchase a bottle of Castrol Super Clean wheel cleaner(I know that will do the job), and then deal with my dealer when it eats the wheels to pieces. My wheels actually look better(even dirt distribution) before I spend an hour per wheel trying to get the brake-dust stains loose. Has anyone out there had any luck with keeping the wheels anywhere near stain-free? I see a lot of BLACK Benz wheels out there, and wonder if I'm the only one who gives a hoot?!? Yes they were heavily polished with Mother's prior to the winter months. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I am aware of dust-discs, however there is nothing on the market for the '03 ML500 Sport; The caliper is VERY close to the wheel. Thanks!
Old 03-24-2003, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C300 Sport
lot of people had success using aftermarket brake pads made by Porterfield... these pads dont seem to dust as much as the factory ones... most german cars use the really soft pads and they dust really easily... you could also get brake dust covers that you can purchase which keeps the dust off the wheels...
Old 03-24-2003, 01:49 PM
Almost a Member!

CLK 320, 2000, Silver/Blk
Originally posted by jo17jC230
you could also get brake dust covers that you can purchase which keeps the dust off the wheels...
I asked my service advisor this same question for my 99 ML 430 & he showed me a bulliten years ago that said brake dust covers that go behind the wheels acutally reduce braking distance & are really bad in wet weather conditions....now I have no way of proving what he says is true or false, but he has always been straight up w/me & i firmly believe he will always continue to do so....

word to the wise, check to see the validity of reduction in braking power if one were to add brake dust covers.....

Ric
Old 03-25-2003, 12:32 AM

ML500
Take the stock pads out and throw them in the trash. Install a set of Rotex pads. They stop much better, last longer and don't make the wheels black.

I had a set on my ML320 for 20,000 miles, still looked fairly new when I sold it. I just put a set on my new ML500.
Old 03-25-2003, 01:01 AM
Banned

Originally posted by SteveB
Take the stock pads out and throw them in the trash. Install a set of Rotex pads. They stop much better, last longer and don't make the wheels black.

I had a set on my ML320 for 20,000 miles, still looked fairly new when I sold it. I just put a set on my new ML500.
Rotex pads?
Old 03-25-2003, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 Mclaren 720s, 2021 Aston Martin DBX
I agree with Steve....

I put rotex pads on my ml too. Virtually no dusting after a proper break-in.

I don't know if they have them for a 2003 ml, because I am still waiting for the clk55 pads to be made.

You can find out at either one of these sites.

http://www.buybrakes.com/
http://www.brakewarehouse.net/
Old 03-25-2003, 02:58 PM

ML500
They are available for the ML500, I just installed them on mine.
The ML500 has the same brakes as the S500. I don't have the part numbers with me, I can look them up later if you want them.
Old 03-26-2003, 09:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 CLK320 Cabrio 2020 E 450 Wagon '92 VW
Originally posted by RCC CLK 320
I asked my service advisor this same question for my 99 ML 430 & he showed me a bulliten years ago that said brake dust covers that go behind the wheels acutally reduce braking distance & are really bad in wet weather conditions....now I have no way of proving what he says is true or false, but he has always been straight up w/me & i firmly believe he will always continue to do so....

word to the wise, check to see the validity of reduction in braking power if one were to add brake dust covers.....

Ric
I was told that the dust covers cause the brakes to overheat. Also, I figured this...if these dust covers were free of side effects and so great, manufacturers would put the on their cars as OEM (they are very $cheap) and/or dealerships would feature them for sale in their parts departments. In my experience, neither has occurred. I only see these things offered in catalogues.