M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Anything positive about MB and ML???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2003, 01:45 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML350
Anything positive about MB and ML???

Hi Everyone,

It seems that all I've been reading lately in the forums is about how bad MB's Customer Service and how unreliable the MLs are..

I completely understand and sympathizes with people's frustrations and MB's bad customer service is inexcusable but I would like to hear some positive things as well, what do you like or love about your ML.

For me, I like the spaciousness of the ML without the car feeling like a huge boat. I like the looks, it’s very understated and very elegant.

I don't know if anyone has noticed but my ML doesn't have the "daimler benz product" with a signature sticker in the passenger side window, I'm wondering if that's because the car is made in the US?

Anyway I haven't used it for any off road excursions but I think it will do pretty well.

Our ML is actually my wife's car, but she's pregnant and she's having a hard time getting in and out of the car. I forgot to get the running board or side steps when we got the car from the dealer, so its my temporary daily driver

I'm also in the market for a second sportier car, I'm looking at 993s, new C32, new BMW M3 SMG (I know I know I'm trying to resist the dark side), or wait for the new Audi S4. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
03ML350

Last edited by 03ML350; 04-24-2003 at 07:20 PM.
Old 04-25-2003, 10:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
I totally agree that despite the ML's shortcomings (mostly build quality related), it's still the ebst bargain out there, especially the ML500. MY2K+ are so much better than previous model years that there's very little to complain about. I think what gets us is that we know what MB quality is and we expect that of all MB products. Then add the fact that ine is plunkering down $45K+ on a truck, you just can't help but expect perfection. What has bothered me are the minor things - leaky stuff, or stuff falling off. This shouldn't happen in a $20K car, nor should it happen to a $100K car, period!!!
Old 04-25-2003, 11:38 AM

VW Passat, Dodge Dakota, MGB
Info about the next ML

Well, I believe nothing has "DaimlerBenz" stickers anymore. They're either "MercedesBenz" or "DaimlerChrysler". There is no DaimlerBenz anymore.

The current ML was engineered 'mostly' by engineering sourced from Freightliner in conjunction with MB in Stuttgart. Essentially a group with 'little' SUV experience. There are numerous opinions good and bad on what was done. That's water under the bridge.

So... like it or not, (and this is public info btw), the next ML & GST are shared with, well the team within DaimlerChrysler with the most SUV experience... Jeep. The next GrandCherokee is also on this new platform. All should be out sometime in 2004. The Jeep GC, ML, and GST WON'T just be clones of each other. Styling, interiors, engines, will all be unique to each division. It's the basic floorpan stampings, 4WD, crash structure, etc. that are shared. The stuff no one sees.
Old 04-26-2003, 01:13 PM
Almost a Member!

99 Ml 320
I remember reading it would share the same frame. And maybe the same plants?? If i see mopar anywhere on the new ml im finding where the engys live...... alright something positive too
I took my 99 320 on a minor off roading trip yesterday. a friend of mine with a 97wrangler with a major lift kit and huge tires was very impressed the ml did really well when it came to this down hill rock and dirt road that was like a roller coaster with the all wheel drive i got up to 30 at some points definetly felt like a roller coaster. i never had to worry about the ml scraping it held its own pretty well
-steve
Old 04-27-2003, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML320
Well I have read that the next-gen Jeep Grand Cherokee and Mitsubishi Montero will be based on the current W163 ML platform, not on W164. And things seem to indicate that they will each keep their own 4wd system (Jeep 'QuadraDrive' and Mitsu's system) - the cars that will be shared will be the Smart, which will get some Mitsubishi parts, including one of the engine options, and an optional, slightly de-featured version of the W164 ML / GST / next-gen A-Class' 4Matic system.

Also a next-gen compact Mitsubishi (already shown to the public IIRC) is based on what is so far developed of the next-gen Smart (which btw is coming to the US).

The Jeep GC and Montero will most likely get some MB transmissions and the GC might get some more drivetrain parts, but they're not going to be MB's latest parts - it's a trend that Chrysler will generally get MB's last-generation parts, not the latest developments. A lot of Jeep/Chryslers and probably Mitsus will get MB's TeleAid and navigation system components.

The 'Mercedes-Benz product' stickers are not on the ML probably due to its US production and so it's technically not built by MB, it's built by MBUSI, etc. Earlier cars (late 80's, early 90's) had the 'Mercedes-Benz' stickers, but for some reason in the 90's a lot of cars had the 'Daimler-Benz product' stickers on them, and now they're all back to 'Mercedes-Benz product' stickers. The decal looks nice - they're available on eBay - the real MB OEM parts cost about $2.50-$4.00 on eBay and the ones that are $0.99 seem to be copies. It's a nice addition for your ML.

The next-gen ML will have two wheelbases, the SWB one competing more directly with the BMW X5 and Lexus' new RX330, while the LWB one will be slightly larger than the current ML. The GST will be longer than all MLs (spy shots indicate it's a huge vehicle) and slightly lower. The next-gen A-Class will get MB 4Matic as an option and, along with both versions of the W164 ML, the GST, and the possible G-Class replacement and or the MLG, will probably be built for US sale in MB's Tuscaloosa plant.
Old 04-27-2003, 12:12 PM
Almost a Member!

99 Ml 320
Wow, that was a lot of info. Everyone is still going bigger with those suvs, its ridiculous. well i guess it makes sense there are more and more people that like to buy the big suvs theyre probably willing to dish out the cash cadillac just made an even bigger escalade its never ending
kind of stupid question here arent bigger vehicles inherently more maintenance over time? time will tell put a 99 Eclass against a 99 Ml (give em a year to get some of the basic problems out of the model year) and see where they are in 2010 i bet their will be a lot of eclass's and very few trouble free Mls, what do you guys think?
-steve
Old 04-28-2003, 03:03 PM

red bicycle
I loved our 1998 ML320 (sold in July) despite it's faults.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure the Grand Cherokee already uses the Mercedes-Benz 5-speed automatic, while European GCs are available with the MB 2.7L 5-cylinder CDI engine.

I don't know about the next GC using the current ML platform, considering the GC is unit-bodied, while the current ML is body-on-frame. But apparently the next-generation ML will be unit-bodied.

About the new Smart Forfour, it will share its platform with the new Mitsubishi Colt (already on sale in Europe and Japan. Here's a pic from MBSpy
Old 04-29-2003, 09:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
2020 S560,14 ml350, 03 sl55, silver, pano, slr cams, evo headers, lsd, 2019 s63 cab.
after following this forum for a long while and talking to the mechanics i know at the local dealer i was afraid to get the ml. but, i did get a 2001 430ml last december. it runs great and was a real plus in the snow and bad weather. my wife uses it when the sun is not out to keep the 2003sl in the garage. i use a 4 x4 ford f150 to keep the cl500 out of the rain. the ml is much better than a lexus rx300 and i would reccomend them to someone. get a v8 for the best performance.
Old 04-29-2003, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML320
Originally posted by whatup?
Anyway, I'm pretty sure the Grand Cherokee already uses the Mercedes-Benz 5-speed automatic, while European GCs are available with the MB 2.7L 5-cylinder CDI engine.
The current Jeep GC does have an MB 5-speed, but they're talking about using further MB technology in the drivetrain, as in the new Chrysler concepts and the new 300C, which use many MB parts, with the extreme being the SLK-based Crossfire, 35% of which is SLK, including MB's 3.2L V6 under a Chrysler plastic faceplate .

BTW, Porsche, Jaguar, and many others also use MB transmissions - that's been going on for a long while now. So the GC's MB transmission isn't really that special - when Chrysler starts getting MB parts in quantities for vehicles like the Crossfire, 300C, Hemi wagon, etc., that's the kind of part sharing they're planning for Chrysler/Jeep/etc.
Old 04-30-2003, 08:35 PM

Lexus GS 450h
[
the ml is much better than a lexus rx300
THe RX 300 is the most reliable and best selling luxury SUV model every made.
Old 04-30-2003, 08:47 PM

'82 turbo yugo
Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
[

THe RX 300 is the most reliable and best selling luxury SUV model every made.
Many folks don't consider a jacked up gutless station wagon to be an SUV.

For instance, how reliable are the RX 300s that are taken off-road?

p.s. McDonalds has the best selling hamburger in the US. Does that mean that they are the best hamburgers?
Old 05-01-2003, 12:39 AM

VW Passat, Dodge Dakota, MGB
the GC is unit-bodied, while the current ML is body-on-frame. But apparently the next-generation ML will be unit-bodied.
GC's have always been unibody, while the ML is BOF currently, but will switch to unibody. Next gen's of both will share the same 'basic' platform.

The diesel GC does use the MB WA580 5spd auto. (called W5J400 by Jeep), which the diesel versions are only assembled in Graz, Austria.

The gas versions 4.0, 4.7 use Chryslers 42RE 4speed automatic.