M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Is Midas a good place to get a brake job done?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2003, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 ML
Is Midas a good place to get a brake job done?

I have a 2000 ML320, pads or rotors recently worn out. Need input where alternatives applied except MB dealer. BTW, I live in Canada. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-09-2003, 06:39 PM
Almost a Member!

ML350
IMHO N O!!

When I was in college, I had a Honda Accord, it needed a brake job (rotors and pads), I first took it to Pep boys, they completely screwed it up, after about the 5th try to get it right, I took it Midas, they told me Pep boys screwed up big time and that I needed new rotors and pads, begrudgingly I agreed and had them replace it for $350. When I got the car back the car vibrated badly everytime I braked, I took it back and Midas told me that it was a master cylinder problem and that I needed a new one and gave me an estimate of $500. I finally said screw it and took it to the Honda Dealer, apparently Midas didn't install the pads correctly which caused uneven wear on the rotor. Luckily it happened early enough where they could resurface the rotor and just replaced the pads; all said and done the dealer charged me $160.

I would recommend finding a local Mercedes Service Expert or going back to the dealer or doing it yourself. You'll save a lot of time, money and frustration!!!

just my $.02
Old 05-09-2003, 07:49 PM

2000 ML
Originally posted by 03ML350
IMHO N O!!

When I was in college, I had a Honda Accord, it needed a brake job (rotors and pads), I first took it to Pep boys, they completely screwed it up, after about the 5th try to get it right, I took it Midas, they told me Pep boys screwed up big time and that I needed new rotors and pads, begrudgingly I agreed and had them replace it for $350. When I got the car back the car vibrated badly everytime I braked, I took it back and Midas told me that it was a master cylinder problem and that I needed a new one and gave me an estimate of $500. I finally said screw it and took it to the Honda Dealer, apparently Midas didn't install the pads correctly which caused uneven wear on the rotor. Luckily it happened early enough where they could resurface the rotor and just replaced the pads; all said and done the dealer charged me $160.

I would recommend finding a local Mercedes Service Expert or going back to the dealer or doing it yourself. You'll save a lot of time, money and frustration!!!

just my $.02
Thanks for your advise, I think I will just go to one of the MB shop and ask them to do it. Do you know if there is any good compatible pads Avail. for ML? And Do I need to replace the sensor as well everytime I replace the pads? I found a seller on the Internet selling $68.95 for OEM front pads, I don't know if it's a deal or not.
Old 05-09-2003, 10:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
One word answer....NO!!!
Old 05-09-2003, 11:22 PM

'82 turbo yugo
Originally posted by startcraft33
Thanks for your advise, I think I will just go to one of the MB shop and ask them to do it. Do you know if there is any good compatible pads Avail. for ML? And Do I need to replace the sensor as well everytime I replace the pads? I found a seller on the Internet selling $68.95 for OEM front pads, I don't know if it's a deal or not.
Can you use a screwdriver?

How about a wrench?

Do you know how to jack up your truck?

Can you take a wheel off?

It's really a very simnple process to replace the pads/rotors yourself...

Easy pad/rotor replacement
Old 05-15-2003, 09:45 AM

ML500
Although the process for changing pads & rotors is slightly different on a ML320 than Pete's ML430 instructions, you should be able to tell that it's really not all that difficult if you have basic automotive skills. It always amazes me how much dealers and repair shops charge to change pads on a car. Sometimes I think I'm in the wrong business.
Old 05-16-2003, 03:43 PM

demo benz
all midas like discount shops pay the "mechanics" by commision.
they get about 25% of what they can up sell. beware!
thats why ALL quick lube places tell you that the air filter is dirty.
a quick 5 bucks in their pocket.
Old 05-16-2003, 04:48 PM

2000 ML
Originally posted by Damian L
all midas like discount shops pay the "mechanics" by commision.
they get about 25% of what they can up sell. beware!
thats why ALL quick lube places tell you that the air filter is dirty.
a quick 5 bucks in their pocket.
Does anyone of you know what tools exactly do I need(except the lift jack) to install the pads? Thanks a lot.
Old 05-16-2003, 06:59 PM
Almost a Member!

ML350
Since my ML is fairly new, I hadn't had to change the pads yet, but having experience with my racecar it’s not difficult.

Isn't your ML still under maintenance warranty? I thought you just had to pay for parts and MB Dealer will install for free?

If not you'll need:

1) ratchet set (metric I believe)
2) floor jack
3) new brake pads
4) new rotors
5) a set of screwdrivers
6) Lug nut bar that comes with your ML.

I would highly recommend getting the following as well:

1) a torque wrench (and set to the factory settings per lug nut).
2) breaker bar for the lug nuts
3) "c" clamp
4) jack stands
5) rubber mallet

I think this is it, like I said I don't have direct experience with the ML but disc brakes are basically the same with all cars.

Anyone that has experience please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 05-16-2003, 08:35 PM

2000 ML
Since my ML is fairly new, I hadn't had to change the pads yet, but having experience with my racecar it’s not difficult.

Isn't your ML still under maintenance warranty? I thought you just had to pay for parts and MB Dealer will install for free?

If not you'll need:

2) floor jack
3) new brake pads
4) new rotors
5) a set of screwdrivers

3) "c" clamp
4) jack stands
5) rubber mallet

I think this is it, like I said I don't have direct experience with the ML but disc brakes are basically the same with all cars.

Thanks, it's wonderful.

Oh really? I didn't know that. Since my car has only 40,000Kilo( since I live in Canada) on it, and I bought the car in Aug 2000. And the pads are considered to be tear and wear items; So I am not sure if I only have to pay labour. I do still have warrenty for others(engine, transmission, and electronics components) till 2004 and 2005.
Old 05-16-2003, 08:37 PM

2000 ML
Originally posted by startcraft33
Thanks, it's wonderful.

Oh really? I didn't know that. Since my car has only 40,000Kilo( since I live in Canada) on it, and I bought the car in Aug 2000. And the pads are considered to be tear and wear items; So I am not sure if I only have to pay labour. I do still have warrenty for others(engine, transmission, and electronics components) till 2004 and 2005.
Sorry, I meant pay the parts only.
Old 05-16-2003, 08:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
In the US at least the brakes are considered a wear item and parts and labor are not covered by warranty. However, on my ML500 I have had 4 sets of pads and rotors installed at no charge in 12000 miles due to squeal and vibration. They got it right at last with the new part number pads
Old 05-23-2003, 01:30 AM

CLK320, ML320, 300TE
heres the real deal

I know alot of you like to think that a brake job on a Mercedes is rocket science but basically it is the same as any other car except honda and acuras which are much easier to change brakes on because it kinda flips up and u just slide it right in. Anyway, bring original mercedes pads to midas and tell them to change it and they will do as good a job as the dealer.
Old 05-23-2003, 11:47 AM

2000 ML
Re: heres the real deal

Originally posted by cgmike10
I know alot of you like to think that a brake job on a Mercedes is rocket science but basically it is the same as any other car except honda and acuras which are much easier to change brakes on because it kinda flips up and u just slide it right in. Anyway, bring original mercedes pads to midas and tell them to change it and they will do as good a job as the dealer.
Wow, really? Have you done any brake job at Midas? Where do you reccmand to buy the pads? Thanks.
Old 05-23-2003, 02:26 PM

CLK320, ML320, 300TE
Yes I have gotten a brake job at midas

On a ski trip, my brakes went bad and being 300 miles away from my shop, the local midas was the place to go. Now it could have been meineke I dont really remember. Anyway, we had brakepads overnighted from the dealer and the next day Midas put them on. NO Problems at all.

A brake job is actually something you could do in your driveway in about an hour or less with the right tools.
Old 05-23-2003, 04:05 PM

2000 ML
Re: Yes I have gotten a brake job at midas

Originally posted by cgmike10
On a ski trip, my brakes went bad and being 300 miles away from my shop, the local midas was the place to go. Now it could have been meineke I dont really remember. Anyway, we had brakepads overnighted from the dealer and the next day Midas put them on. NO Problems at all.

A brake job is actually something you could do in your driveway in about an hour or less with the right tools.
Yea, that's great. Thanks for the tips.
Old 05-27-2003, 05:40 PM
USF
Almost a Member!

2002 ML500

If not you'll need:

2) floor jack
3) new brake pads
4) new rotors
5) a set of screwdrivers

3) "c" clamp
4) jack stands
5) rubber mallet

Really great advice so far, thanks guys! Since I am planning to do the brakes myself, I hope someone could provide more details on the tools required to do the job. Here are my questions:

1) ratchet set (which one? there's so many different kinds)
2) set of screwdrivers (which ones? there's so many different kinds)
3) breaker bar for lug nuts? (what's that??)
4) "c" clamp (where to buy?)

Thank you much!
Old 05-27-2003, 07:08 PM

demo benz
i dont think you will save any money doing the brakes yourself, asking those questions! next to the rubber(tires), brakes are the most important thing to have correct.