M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

I got ripped off 3 years ago!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2003, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 ML
I got ripped off 3 years ago!!

Here is the story, I bought a 2000 ML320 Demo 3 years ago with loaded options. The lady who sold the car told me that the warrenty started from the date I purchsed the car because it was a demo. One month ago, I did the service A and found out that the expiry of warrenty is the time when the car on the ground. Now, I call her and ask her what's going on with this? And, she told me there was nothing as the warrenty started from the date that I purchased the demo? She's telling me two different stories. The difference of warrenty is 7 monthes different. That would of cause cost me money if anything goes wrong with the car within this period. Guys, please tell me what should I do? How can I complain this?
Old 08-15-2003, 06:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML320
I'd suggest trying to contact higher management within the dealer - if you don't have any luck there, try contacting MBUSA.
Old 08-15-2003, 11:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,190 Likes on 857 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
You're screwed.

If you believed the private owner you purchased it from and didn't substantiate it with a dealer, chalk it up to experience. People will tell you anything to make a sale. If you bought a demo from a dealer with the same story, that might be different.
Old 08-16-2003, 02:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML320
Wait - is this a person as in a private seller or as in a saleswoman at the dealer?

My prior post assumed the latter case. If that's not the case, sorry about that.
Old 08-16-2003, 04:26 AM

2000 ML
Yep, I bought the car from a dealer in Vancouver and she is a Chinese sales rep. At that time, I went with other 3 family members and they all heard about it too. That's why I bought the Demo because I thought the warrenty start from the date I purchase the car. Is there anything I can do about it? Thanks.
Old 08-16-2003, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML320
Originally posted by startcraft33
Yep, I bought the car from a dealer in Vancouver and she is a Chinese sales rep. At that time, I went with other 3 family members and they all heard about it too. That's why I bought the Demo because I thought the warrenty start from the date I purchase the car. Is there anything I can do about it? Thanks.
Ok then - go for higher management at the dealership - say that it's a very serious situation and that you have three witnesses, etc. The dealer mis-represented the product they were selling - false marketing, etc. If they do not respond, tell them you'll be going to MB USA at the national level to complain. If that doesn't do anything, call MBUSA (or write a letter if that doesn't work). Be resolute when they're talking - annoy them as much as possible if they don't do anything. For example, if the dealer doesn't respond, another thing you could do is just comment that when you bought a Benz you never expected that the dealer would commit fraud - this never happened with ~~~(Insert some other MB competitor)~~~ or if you haven't owned a car made by a competitor, say that all your friends had a perfect experience with ~~~ brand.

But that all depends on how friendly the dealer's higher-up people are going to be. My dealer here is so snobbish that even threatening them with lawsuits wouldn't do anything - basically if I did ever have an issue like this, I'd have to go directly to MBUSA and say the dealer committed fraud by mis-representing the vehicle.

The fact that you have three witnesses should help your case along

Basically, just analyze the situation by looking at your dealer's response. If it's a small dealer where they might even know people personally, maybe you don't want to get very confrontational with them directly (for the sake of future dealings) - just go to MBUSA. So just see what seems appropriate.
Old 08-16-2003, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,190 Likes on 857 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Originally posted by startcraft33
Yep, I bought the car from a dealer in Vancouver ...
Sorry, I misunderstood.
Old 08-17-2003, 07:14 PM

2000 ML
Thanks guys, I really appricate your help. I would try to contact the mamager of the dealer and ask him what to do next.
All the best.
Old 08-24-2003, 03:47 AM
Banned

'00 ML320 Elegance/'03 C320 4-matic
Hmm, I'm a little confused. My truck was also bought in Vancouver, and mine was the second batch of '00 models to roll off the factory floor (1st decade October 1999 production), and the first '00 ML320 that the dealership received. The first bach of '00s for Canada was a 3rd decade September production.

Since my early '00 model's warranty has not expired, and won't till early Nov, how can yours be so many months earlier? That would be a '99 model!
Old 08-24-2003, 06:12 PM

2000 ML
My warrenty expired in Jan 2004.

I bought the car in Augt 2000.

So that means the previous owner put the car on the floor in Jan 2000. Anyways, that's about it.
Old 08-25-2003, 03:07 AM
Almost a Member!

1989 300CE
Let me chime in here and give my $0.02.
If you bought the car as a dealer demo, then the warranty should expire on the anniversary of your purchase date. A demo is technically a brand new car and was only used by the dealer for test drives, service loaners, etc. A demo is a car that has not been previously registered. It will clearly state in your contract whether this is new or used, or if it was previously registered.
If the salesperson claimed that its new, but it turned out to be used and registered, then its your fault for not fully reading the contract before signing.
There are two ways you can go about this:
First, you can beat yourself to death by trying to fight MB about this, or...
you can wait and see if there are any problems that arise between now and your warranty expiration date.
My suggestion is to relax and enjoy your car. If you are within your rights and you did in fact, bought a BRAND NEW UNREGISTERED car that can be supported by documents such as your contract, then I wouldn't worry about it until the problem arises. Let's say there's a problem and it 's July of 2004. I would waltz right into the dealership and demand a warranty service as prescribed under your rights. In most cases if you're in good terms with the dealership and your service advisor, they tend to even stretch your warranty period as a sign of courtesy, as it happened on my 99 ML. Three months had passed and they still honored it.
Now if indeed, you purchased a USED CAR which was previously registered, then unfortunately, you're out of luck and good luck in getting them to comp that. You also have to consider the mileage issue. In all probability, you might not even need that extra 7 months of warranty and its really unfortunate that you are subjected to this.
Anyway, good luck!