M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

50 ML Problems in 4.0 years

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-21-2003, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 50 ML Problems in 4.0 years

Re: 50 ML Problems in 4.0 years.

Dear Journalist,

I enjoyed speaking with you today. Thank you for your time. I have included my Mercedes case information below.

I have also included a list of articles and links with further information about the skyrocketing number of Mercedes Benz quality defects. When I find the link to the article in LA Times I will email it to you.

I wish I had read your article before purchasing my Mercedes Benz ML430, which has had more than 50 problems, and 60 days of service in 4 years. It helps potential buyers make a more informed choice.

I had to return the vehicle on 20 or more occasions to Autonation (the dealer) for warranty repairs. All Mercedes is willing to offer, as compensation is $1000, when purchasing a new Mercedes. Despite the many defects Mercedes Benz has not offered to repurchase the car.

The problems included a defective brake system, a defective electrical system, a defective navigation system, a defective washer system, a defective AC system, defective locks, defective trim, defective doors, windows and sunroof, a defective entertainment system and a defective hydraulic steering system.

In addition it often took 1 month to get the vehicle serviced. Often the dealer did not fix the problem on their first attempt, resulting in having to return the vehicle again for repair of the same defect.

I have attached a more detailed list of the problems below.

After speaking with several ML owners I get the impression that 1 out of 4 have many problems (not a formal survey).

I look forward to your next article about Mercedes Benz quality problems. Feel free to contact me for further information.

Sincerely
tcpgv

Articles
Automotive News, Bugs bite Mercedes quality by Diana T. Kurylko, 09/15/2003
Business Week, Stalled. Is the Daimler-Chrysler deal a mistake? By Gail Edmondson and Katleen Kerwin, 09/29/2003
Financial Times, Daimler-Chrysler warranty costs rise to 1bn pounds, 05/07/2001
The Detroit News, Proud Mercedes-Benz has quality problems by Daniel Howes, 02/26/2002
The Detroit News, Details revealed of Daimler-Chrysler investors’ lawsuit deal, 10/03/2003
The New York Times, Luxury Limbo Rock: How Low Can Benz Go by Michelle Krebs, 02/24/2002
The Wall Street Journal, Mercedes Brand Fares Badly In Survey of Auto Makers by Scott Miller and Karen Lundegaard, 02/04/2001
Automotive News, Mercedes Benz Warranty Costs Soar, 5/8/2001

Web Sites
BenzWorld (ML forum), http://www.benzworld.org/forums/table.asp?id=21
MB Spy, http://mbspy.bacosys.be/mbquality.htm
Mercedes Benz Consumer Warnings, http://www.lemonmb.com
Mercedes Problems, http://www.mercedesproblems.com
Trouble-Benz, http://www.troublebenz.com/

50 ML Problems In 4 Years
1. Brake system defect (pump leak)
2. Wiper motor defect
3. Door problems (latch noises)
4. Door problems (maladjusted door)
5. Command center malfunction (dead navigation system)
6. Door lock malfunction (right rear door actuator)
7. Washer reservoir leaking
8. Lamp switch defect (stop lamp)
9. Fuel filter problem
10. Door lock malfunction (gas door actuator)
11. AC problem. (AC fan speed switch knob malfunction)
12. Door lock malfunction (gas door actuator)
13. Trim problem (sunroof seal fell off)
14. Door problem (Rattle from inside left rear door - loose metal washer)
15. Trim problem (3rd brake lamp cover pops off even when re-secured
16. Trim problem (rear inside trim panel defective)
17. Window washer nozzle defective on right side
18. Command center malfunction (dead navigation system)
19. Door lock problem
20. Lamp problem (defective check engine light - right rear 02 sensor)
21. Rotor in rear changed at only 27500 miles
22. Sunroof shade problems
23. Sunroof guide clip missing
24. Sunroof shade problems
25. Trim problem (left outer seat trim cracked)
26. Sun roof frame defect
27. Seatbelt jammed (left rear)
28. Brake system defect (pad wear sensor defect)
29. Defect fuel door lock actuator
30. Rear door latch replacement
31. AC problem (system not cooling properly)
32. Sunroof motor connectors rattling
33. AC problem (blower motor rattle)
34. Drivers window stuck down (bad switch)
35. Command center problem (CD changer error)
36. Window problem (clicking front left window)
37. Door lock problem (rear right/left door actuator defect)
38. Door problem (insulation inside right door damaged due to melting glue)
39. Command center problem (CD changer error)
40. Trim crack (leather on steering wheel cracked)
41. Door problem (rear right/left door actuator defect)
42. AC problems (blower rattle)
43. AC problems (clicking sounds)
44. Trim crack (cracks in duct tape on door)
45. Door problem (rear left door actuator defect)
46. Washer reservoir crack
47. Right window washer nozzle defect
48. Lock problem (front left door actuator defect)
49. Car manuals and registration card taken during service
50. Power steering problem (replacement of clamp for power steering hose due to possible fluid loss at radiator)
Old 11-21-2003, 03:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1995 Jaguar XJS Convertible
sweet Jesus!!!
Old 11-21-2003, 04:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
99 ML 430
Talking Forget that! Get a Toyota Highlander.

Old 11-21-2003, 07:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 RX 350 F Sport, 2007 Scion tC, 2000 ML 430 Money Pit Finally Gone! Oh Happy Day!
Well at least the Harmonic Balancer hasn't failed yet! The Mercedes Experience, Unlike Any Other....................
Old 11-22-2003, 05:03 PM
Almost a Member!

Mass Air Flow sensor???

Keep the Faith, Brother.........It ain't over yet!!!!
Old 11-22-2003, 10:16 PM

ML430, Mini Cooper S and Porsche 911 Twin Turbo
You've only had minor stuff so far...

wait till you join the ranks of the big boys - then you're allowed to complain ;-)

Big failures like harmonic balancer, fuel pump, battery, MAS sensor, PAS, alternator, lifters etc. then you'll know what problems really are.

FYI I've also had the rippling black duct tape problem, but haven't considered it worthwhile mentioning when compared to all the other serious failures my ML has had....
Old 11-26-2003, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 E55 AMG
Holy ****! ML`s are that unreliable! I would buy a Lexus RX330 or a LX470! Maybe a 4Runner. Ive never heard of this many problems. Is it just the ML class. I think Ford`s are even more reliable! Still, just because your first experience with a Mercedes was bad, doesn`t mean that your possible next one will be that bad. My `92 600SEL has been very reliable. Maybe not as problem free as my friends Nissan Maxima but still...

Last edited by MB AMG; 11-26-2003 at 08:00 PM.
Old 11-26-2003, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML320
Well you have been pretty unlucky...

If anyone has driven or worked with a later ML, especially an '02 or later, you will notice that it is a very different animal in many ways.

The early model year ML's, in '98 and '99 (some in '00), did have quite a few small/annoying issues and generally had lower quality than any other model in MB's current model lineup. It's not an excuse for MB's poor quality control in the early models of their first American plant, but if you examine them, a '98 and an '03 ML will be very different.

The '01 improvements and '02 facelift greatly improved some of the trim quality and build quality issues, as you will see if you go check out any newer ML. So the ML's reputation was hurt by the issues that arose in the early models, but the current vehicle is at par with competitors quality-wise. This is why I would not agree with generalizations like "Oh the ML is crap!" from my experience because the newer models are definitely not.

No, they are not up to the levels of MB's passenger car standards, but current MLs are not bad quality-wise as compared with others in the market.

So if one talks about later ML's, would you rather have the possibility of your house burning down with spontaneous combustion (X5), you seatbelts to fail when you need them (X5), or your engine fail from sludge / oil issues (RX300)?
Old 11-26-2003, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML320
The key here is to avoid early models of a new car at all costs if possible - not just an ML, but of any car.
Old 11-28-2003, 01:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
GL63 AMG
Using your logic we should avoid the new ML til what, 08?
If the 02 MLs and later are okay, that is what, 4 years into production and two years before a major change.
Sorry but it dosen't wash with me. No company should use its products failures, at the expense of its customers, to "work out the bugs". First year models will have some glitches, 3 years into production is inexcusable. Not the magnitude and severtiy of the ones experienced by some ML owners.
At the very least MB made a huge marketing mistake in not taking care of those of us that lost big time through our MB "experience".
Call us what you will, but there are a great number of people in their 40's who will never look at another MB/Chrysler product again.
Old 11-28-2003, 08:20 PM

ML430, Mini Cooper S and Porsche 911 Twin Turbo
Improved quality ??

Originally posted by j2nh

Call us what you will, but there are a great number of people in their 40's who will never look at another MB/Chrysler product again.
Well said - I'm one of the many 40 somethings with a high level of discretionary spending who won't be looking at MB /DC's products anytime soon.

Also I'm not at all convinced that the later model ML's are that much better than '00's and '01's. There's quite a lot of documented problems which indicate that MB is still using the the same dubious suppliers and likely the same parts will fail again in another x thousand miles.

Some say that the ML was built to compete against the Ford Explorer - no doubt it was, but for the $50k + it still has too many issues.

Those people who defend the ML and by default MB imho have been drinking too much MB coolaid either that or they have their heads buried in the sand.
Old 12-12-2003, 01:45 PM

Re: Improved quality ??

Originally posted by timdf
Well said - I'm one of the many 40 somethings with a high level of discretionary spending who won't be looking at MB /DC's products anytime soon.

Also I'm not at all convinced that the later model ML's are that much better than '00's and '01's. There's quite a lot of documented problems which indicate that MB is still using the the same dubious suppliers and likely the same parts will fail again in another x thousand miles.

Some say that the ML was built to compete against the Ford Explorer - no doubt it was, but for the $50k + it still has too many issues.

Those people who defend the ML and by default MB imho have been drinking too much MB coolaid either that or they have their heads buried in the sand.
For those of you that found solace or hope with this sad poster TCPGV, please be aware it appears that his posts are fabricated....

He claimed 60 problems in 4 years, many of them repeats, and wear and tear items and even a mention of 'missing manual after service visit'. The he claimed he wrote to Jurgen Schremp - CEO of Daimler Chrysler - no wait, he said it was an email, and IN A WEEK got a reply offering to repurchase his car - oh wait, it was a coupon - oh wait, it was a check , oh wait, a check minus usage.... etc, etc... very sad.
Old 12-12-2003, 05:38 PM

60 problems in 4 years

Originally posted by roadsession
For those of you that found solace or hope with this sad poster TCPGV, please be aware it appears that his posts are fabricated....
Roadsession is referring to a posting at BenzWorld in the M-Class forum. Click below for details:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/foru...start=1&fid=29

Darkness cannot remove darkness
To remove darkness you need light.

You cannot remove lies with lies.
To remove lies you need the truth.

He claimed 60 problems in 4 years, many of them repeats, and wear and tear items and even a mention of 'missing manual after service visit'.
All 60 problems are valid and listed on dealer invoices.
Many are repeat problems because they were not fixed the first time or because they occurred repeatedly.
4-5 of the items are normal wear and wear items not covered by the warranty.

Here's the truth about the manuals. I consider the missing manuals a service problem. The missing manual was reordered free of charge by the dealer since it disappeared at a service visit.

Then he claimed he wrote to Jurgen Schremp - CEO of Daimler Chrysler - no wait, he said it was an email,
I wrote an e-letter or e-mail as you Americans call it. The e-letter was sent to several executives at Daimler Chrysler.

...and IN A WEEK got a reply offering to repurchase his car
MB USA called me next day. They still haven't given me a check. They say that it will take 2-3 more weeks to complete the paper work.

- oh wait, it was a coupon - oh wait, it was a check , oh wait, a check minus usage....
I did use the word coupon at first. Sorry, the English language is sometimes a challenge for me.

The exact restitution amount has not yet been determined.