M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Purchasing a 2002 ML320, questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 11:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 clk320
Purchasing a 2002 ML320, questions

I found a 2002 ML320 with 119,000 miles at a dealership for 6 grand. Checked out the company and they have a A rating with the BBB. Pictures look good except on the right side rear pillar between the rear window and the back door glass the clear coat is peeling. Is this a common problem? Can the panel be taken off and painted. I have to travel to see it so I am obtaining as much info as possible. Has a clean carfax and shows some maintenance records.

Anything I should be looking at? I was told to stay away from 98-99's because of problems and the 03's have the crankshaft position sensor problems.

Thanks
Old 11-11-2014, 02:52 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 ML55,2007 ML63
You were told wrong. 2002 + is generally better then earlier models, not that there is anything wrong with the earlier models. About the crankshaft positioning sensor CKP...all ML's go through that issue. It costs $35-00 & it is a 20min job to DIY.
The panel is a common problem.
Take a scanner with you & before buying the car scan for codes. You don't want nasty surprises......They are good cars but need a lot of TLC & DIY's.......
Old 11-12-2014, 12:06 AM

2000 clk320
Thanks Art, basically that is what the local service manager said that especially the 98 and 99 had their fair share of problems. I was looking at a 03 at a dealership in Portland and the dealership was telling me about the crankshaft position sensor, nothing about how expensive it was, I read that somewhere on the net. That is what is great about about this site, the insight.
Old 11-12-2014, 03:54 PM

2003 ML55,2007 ML63
Dennis, that's your CKP
Amazon.com: Bosch 0261210170 Crank Position Sensor: Automotive Amazon.com: Bosch 0261210170 Crank Position Sensor: Automotive

I had a 2000 Ml320 that I changed the CKP......I am going to change it on my 2002 ML500 next week. So it is not an issue for 2003 models. Sooner or later you will have to change it. If your ML is 1998 or 2005 it doesn't matter.

Generally the newer the better...Of course the general condition & how the car was maintained matters. Engines on ML's are bulletproof. Tranny's are good as well. Its the small electronic parts that fail now & then......
2003 will be good, but, take a scanner with you!!! Also think of investing in a scanner. It is a must to have one if you own a ML....
Take some pics & post them.....
Good luck

Last edited by art_arev; 11-12-2014 at 03:58 PM.
Old 11-12-2014, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 767 Likes on 746 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
yup, all rear pillars is common issue...
i'd check for leaks, CEL, engine, tranny and electrical...
Old 11-12-2014, 06:23 PM

2000 clk320
Ml320 getting a code reader

Thanks, does it matter what code reader I get, Harbor Freight has one on sale for $50, should this get the job done? Is there a difference between a reader and a scanner?

OBD II & CAN Code Reader with Multilingual Menu Description

This CAN OBDII code reader reads your car’s computer to find out what your problems are when the “CHECK ENGINE” light pops on. Get the information about the detected malfunction in English, French or Spanish and save money by diagnosing your auto issues yourself. This code reader reads and clears trouble codes in all OBDII compliant vehicles from 1996 and newer.
Read and clear trouble codes in all OBDII compliant vehicles from 1996 and newer
Supports all OBD II protocols and the Controller Area Network (CAN) protocol
Multilingual menu and Diagnostic Trouble Code definitions (English, French, Spanish)
Resets Check Engine light
Reads Power Control Module and Transmission Control Module data
Views freeze frame data
Reads O2 sensor data
Easy-to-read backlit LCD display

and another on sale for $85, of course I am looking to get into something inexpensive

OBD II & CAN Deluxe Scan Tool Description

This handy ODB II scanner uses next-generation OBDII technology to quickly diagnose engine problems using your vehicle's onboard computer. Easy-to-understand troubleshooting code tips help you get to the cause of trouble codes faster, saving time and money.Read and clear trouble codes in all OBDII compliant vehicles from 1996 and newer
Supports all OBD II protocols and the Controller Area Network (CAN) protocol
Patented I/M Readiness Key for quick drive cycle verification and state emissions readiness check
Retrieves generic codes (P0, P2, P3, U0), manufacturer codes (P1, P3, U1) and pending codes
Resets Check Engine Light (MIL), clears codes and resets monitors
Displays DTC definitions on the easy-to-read color screen
Provides Code/Cause/Solution tips for easier troubleshooting
Retrieves vehicle information (VIN, CIN and CVN)
The software update with instructions is available for download under the Software Update tab above
The software update with instructions is available for download under the Software Update tab aboveNo batteries required, powered by vehicle's battery.

Specifications
Name OBD II & CAN Deluxe Scan Tool
SKU 60693
Brand Cen-Tech
Application 1996 and newer vehicles with OBD port
Old 11-13-2014, 04:40 PM

2003 ML55,2007 ML63
What matters is that the scanner will be able to read MB codes.
A lot of people use this scanner
Amazon.com: Mercedes Benz Diagnostic Scanner Tool Test Reset Erase Fault Codes iCarsoft I980: Automotive Amazon.com: Mercedes Benz Diagnostic Scanner Tool Test Reset Erase Fault Codes iCarsoft I980: Automotive
It recognises MB codes. It is a good "cheapish" compromise for MB.
I use Foxwell NT644. http://www.foxwelltech.com/products.php
Don't over economise on the scanner. You will be needing it for a long time.......
Old 08-30-2015, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mercedes benz 2003 ml500
Cool please help me

hi everyone,i'm new heres
light on BAS/ETS/ABS/CHECK ENGINE
i need help with my 2003 ml500.i was parked then i try moving shifter but will not move,i played with the lever then move from park to drive,then will not go over 40 mph..
my van is in limp mode,i have a obd2 scanner and i get code p0705(transmission range sensor),so i went an buy conductor plate from mercedes benz.i i replace it with new plate.fill with 6 liters of mercedes benz transmission fluid.start van let idle for 30 min ,moving leaver from p-r-n-d is ok but from d-n is ok but from d-r-p,it have a hard shift..
then i drive car to see if it goes over 40mph but no luck..
check engine light is STILL ON.
i check with my obd2 scanner on code p0753 is on (shift electricial A solenoid ).. so my question is how do i go about to resolve this issue?
i will like to buy a scanner to read transmission codes,removing it,and reslove this limp mode..
can anyone help me,i;m stuck..
thank alot in advance.
have a bless day