M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

do mercedes suck or something??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 12:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ml320
do mercedes suck or something??

resently i bought an ml320. i was looking for a trailer hitch on the internet when i came across this site. i noticed that ML's have a naste habit of having stupid problems. do MLs suck? i think of myself as very skilled home machinic so i can fix most of the the problems iv seen posted but some of the things i saw are begining to scare me. well i guess in time i will find out if these suv's really do suck. i will def be using this site as a resourse.

Last edited by jonus079; 01-13-2004 at 10:19 AM.
Old 01-13-2004, 12:59 AM

Re: do mercedes suck or something??

Originally posted by jonus079
resently i bought an ml320. i was looking for a trailer hitch on the internet when i came across this site. i noticed that ML's have a naste habit of having stupid problems. do MLs suck? i think of myself as very skilled home machinic so i can fix most of the the problems iv seen posted but some of the things i saw are begining to scare me. well i guess in time i will find out if these suv's really do suck. i will def be using this site as a resourse.
No ML's dont suck
Old 01-13-2004, 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
No, they don't suck at all. Just a few problems here and there that can be fixed with your dealership or by yourself.

I think the ML is a great SUV...good power, car like handling, hauling things around, more than adequate cabin space, etc.

-G-
Old 01-13-2004, 08:06 PM

'82 turbo yugo

Originally posted by jonus079
Yes they suck.

Not quite as bad as your spelling but they suck.

If they didn't suck then people would have to find other things to whine about so the sucking bit is a good thing.
Old 01-13-2004, 09:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't read great things about them...Do a search.
Old 01-13-2004, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
I think it's just "luck of the draw"...some people have no problems to maybe one or two minor problems vs others who have constant problems. This doesn't just apply to the ML's, but MB's in general...just take a look around.

Some people have no problems at all and some have some major issues.

-G-
Old 01-13-2004, 11:09 PM

90% of the time people will only talk of the negetive!!!!! I was able to test drive the ML at the Mercedes Plant in Alabama. If you ever get that ting into some real off road it is an awsome vehicle of what it can do. most peope dont even touch 40% of its potential
Old 01-14-2004, 10:38 AM
Almost a Member!

It depends on the Mercedes.

Some suck by trade, beware it may not be a real Mercedes
Some suck by obligation, my best friend is married to Mercedes
Some, like the Mercedes ML, don't really suck but like to screw with you.

A more interesting question is: "do mercedes swallow or something??"
To which we can confidently offer:
"Supercharged models tend to more than others, ask jdbower."

Last edited by tcp_ML500; 01-14-2004 at 10:41 AM.
Old 01-14-2004, 11:14 AM

ml320
well i mostly bought it to tow around my toys (dirtbike atv's) and i thought that’s all i could tow. well after i got a hitch i tried towing my welder (a good 1500 pounds). i was amazed how well the little 3.2l engine pulled. i found the off-road capabilities were excellent as well not that i have really pushed it. i really think its a nice suv but im still waiting for something to break. hopefully something small!

and i def got the extended warranty
Old 01-14-2004, 11:49 AM

red bicycle
No offense, but how could you buy an ML and not know of any of the issues that have been discussed since basically the day it was introduced?

Anyway, we had a 1998 ML320...the dreaded first model year. Yeah, the interior material quality is not what you expect from a Benz, but it did everything we asked it to do. There were some rattles, but those are only minor complaints that the dealer dealt with anyway. But no we had no major (or minor for that matter) mechanical problems except the fuel pump had to be replaced, but that was a well known issue. But it drove great and was amazing in snow...very confidence inspiring (and this was before they introduced ESP).

But my parents sold our ML320 (which served me well 2 years up in snowy Ithaca) for a Jaguar S-Type, which come to think, suffers from the same minor annoyances...
Old 01-14-2004, 02:54 PM

2015 C63 AMG 507
They only suck if you remove the vacuum hoses!

Mine is a gem, 2k ML55 and I love it. Yes, I have had some issues, cams, harmonic balancer, and a coupla little electrical things, but jeez, its got 81K miles, and still rides better than most other SUV's. And, there are not too many other newer SUV's that can beat it ,and it's taken 4-5 years for Porsche, and BMW (both which I highly respect) to surpass its performance. Just wait till the W164 arrives! IMO the vehicle does not suck
Old 01-16-2004, 11:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 RX 350 F Sport, 2007 Scion tC, 2000 ML 430 Money Pit Finally Gone! Oh Happy Day!

Some think so, see http://www.mercedesproblems.com/ & http://troublebenz.com/welcome/lemon.htm
Old 01-16-2004, 06:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
My Dad used to have a ford explorer XLT V8 and he now drives a Jeep Grand Cherokee and I have driven both ......I would take my ML430 over those two in a heartbeat!!

I have around 44K miles and the most expensive thing that has gonewrong so far is the mass air flow sensor, which ran me >$500!
But other than that...no probs. This thing is a tank!!
Another thing....with all this cold weather recently, I've been hearing everyone saying..."oh my car almost didn't start this morning!!" But not this beast...she started up every morning like a champ!!!
Old 01-16-2004, 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Originally posted by Stiggs
My Dad used to have a ford explorer XLT V8 and he now drives a Jeep Grand Cherokee and I have driven both ......I would take my ML430 over those two in a heartbeat!!

I have around 44K miles and the most expensive thing that has gonewrong so far is the mass air flow sensor, which ran me >$500!
But other than that...no probs. This thing is a tank!!
Another thing....with all this cold weather recently, I've been hearing everyone saying..."oh my car almost didn't start this morning!!" But not this beast...she started up every morning like a champ!!!
I agree wit ya! Despite what everyone says about the ML, our 430 is awsome. Sure, there are a few quirks, BUT nothing major, just some small warranty items that did not affect the drivability, mostly some interior and fuel sensor. That's about it.

Gotta love the power of the 430! And remember, it was ranked #1 in safest SUV in '99 when it came out, so that's gotta tell ya MB did something right

-G-