M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

iPod in 04 ML500

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-05-2004, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 ML 500
iPod in 04 ML500

I have an Apple iPod 40gb along with the McGriffin iTrip FM Transmitter. I am not happy with the quality of sound in the ML with the transmitter, and in my maxima with the Kenwood deck I have it connected to the auxiliary input. Can an auxiliary input be retrofitted for the stock ML500 deck w/ navi? Thanks!
Old 02-08-2004, 10:07 AM

1998 ML-320
Re: iPod in 04 ML500

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
I have an Apple iPod 40gb along with the McGriffin iTrip FM Transmitter. I am not happy with the quality of sound in the ML with the transmitter, and in my maxima with the Kenwood deck I have it connected to the auxiliary input. Can an auxiliary input be retrofitted for the stock ML500 deck w/ navi? Thanks!
In a word, No.

Nav-TV claims to be able to add a video input to the MCS, discussed here . But, its video only.

With an MCS, your only options are an FM modulator or a cassette form factor. Also, you can replace the MCS with a COMMAND system. Otherwise, you have to go aftermarket.
Old 02-09-2004, 06:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
99 ML 430
My $30 Ipod conversion

I also bought the FM tramitter and found the quaility really sucks on it. So I'm just using the tape adapter which cost me $30 for the adapter and $3.00 for the belt slip thingy. Not bad!

Old 02-11-2004, 09:18 AM

Re: My $30 Ipod conversion

Originally posted by andaya
I also bought the FM tramitter and found the quaility really sucks on it. So I'm just using the tape adapter which cost me $30 for the adapter and $3.00 for the belt slip thingy. Not bad!

How do you use the tape adapter, since the tape deck is behind the control panel???
Old 02-11-2004, 09:46 AM

98ML320
The wire is usually slim enough to slip around the edge of your panel is what I've read.

You do realize that the sound output from the headphone jack of your ipod is noticably worse than the sound coming through the bus connector at the bottom. The headphone output "adjusts" the sound to cutoff the lows and highs for headphone use. If you use the belkin auto adapter with a audio out jack you get much fuller cleaner sound. This is especially true for the bass componant.

Then your only problem might be noise introduced through your power supply in the 12V adapter. This setup does give you the advantage of leaving the casette attached all the time since it's plugged into the belkin. When you bring the ipod you just plug it in at the bottom.
Old 02-11-2004, 09:51 AM

If the panel does not latch fully closed, it will emit a constant warning tone, so the wire would almost have to be a tape-style rather than round in order for that to happen. I had the same problem on my old C280, I couldn't use the adapter due to the wire preventing the panel from closing.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:02 AM

98ML320
Good point. I never liked the mercedes stereo so mine is all aftermarket and I don't have those problems.

By the way, the FM transmitter will always have even crappier sound than plugging into the headphone jack. You loose even more of the low and highs.
Old 02-11-2004, 03:28 PM

1998 ML-320
Originally posted by sprinterNE
If the panel does not latch fully closed, it will emit a constant warning tone, so the wire would almost have to be a tape-style rather than round in order for that to happen. I had the same problem on my old C280, I couldn't use the adapter due to the wire preventing the panel from closing.
Right. The flat wire will work.

Also, if you have an MCS, just route the wire through the MCS - much cleaner.

Here's a pic of Tim's satellite radio install, which also uses the cassette form factor for input ...

Notice the wire routing (leaving a little in case tape eject is pushed) ...

Old 02-11-2004, 03:45 PM

That's a pretty good idea! Did he just squeeze the wire in that little gap, or did he have to drill a small hole to put the wire through?
Old 02-11-2004, 05:37 PM

1998 ML-320
Originally posted by sprinterNE
That's a pretty good idea! Did he just squeeze the wire in that little gap, or did he have to drill a small hole to put the wire through?
Tim also did the NAV retrofit, so he was familiar with taking an MCS apart. He took out the NAV drive (and probably loosened the cassette deck), then just routed the wire out the back!
Old 01-20-2008, 08:58 AM

'11 C300
Question Cassette wire routhing

In the picture UncAl showed of Tim's install the cord from the cassette adapter is routed to the rear of the MCS. Where does the wire go from there to hook up your iPod? Do those of you who have done this route it through the glove box somehow, down to the ashtray, or ...? I already have an FM adapter but am not real happy about having this sticking out of the cigarette lighter. Realize this post is dated but I'm doing this on my '03 ML after finally getting an iPod for Christmas.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:51 PM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
07 GL450, 91 NSX, 12 Prius
The flat wired cassett adaptor would work.. I managed to have the front LCD screen close and not bring up the warning alert. you just have to push the panel and smash the flat wire a little. Once it is in you do not need to open it again.

eventually I used the AUXin2r cable. but that prob wont work for 04 MCS.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
Originally Posted by 1MAX2NV
I haven't done this yet for the ML but on my very old Z car, I found a way to trick the rear AUX IN to accept my iPod with no issues. PM me for a link to this. It may work for the ML. I just haven't had the time to pull out the MCS on my 500 to see what OUT/IN access are available behind the head unit. The last time I pulled out the MCS was 5yrs ago when I did the VCS install on my now traded 02 320, and at that time I wasn't as smart as I am today!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I get MLbetter with age, what can I say????
Old 08-21-2009, 09:56 AM

ML 500_03
http://shop.xmradio.com/xm/ctl10600/...direct_adapter
This should work with the ML series DVD nav. system...just gotta pull it out and connect it..and of course have the reset code for the Nav. system from the dealer. they should provide for free...call tech. dept. for that code.
The userguide for the adapter is: http://shop.xmradio.com/xm/ctl10600/...direct_adapter

this should work for pretty much any portable sat. radio or Ipod or MP3 input I would think since it is sound input directly to the antenna of the nav. system.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:07 AM

2003 ML350, 2003 G55, 2007 ML350
For people who have the MCS with the SAT button, I was wondering whether there were connectors added to the radio that would potentially allow someone to connect a variety of different things, including Ipod and via the SAT.

For example, patch in an Ipod and have details about the song and artist, etc., since SAT radios usually give you those details on screen........ Does the Sirius upgrade through the SAT button on an ML give you on screen details????? Someone like Dension with their Gateway 500 could possibly exploit this channel rather than going through the CD changer..........

FWIW, anyone out there have enough knowledge to comment??