M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

NEW OWNER 2001 ML320 Questions???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 11:50 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 ML 320
Question NEW OWNER 2001 ML320 Questions???

I'm new to MB brand. I bought a 2001 ML320 black/black 31k miles. It came from a 3rd party dealer (CarMax). Very happy. I have some questions though so if anyone could help I greatly appreaciate you're time and advice.

1. My ML came with the MCS LCD and CD changer in the rear but no Navi CD player behind the LCD. How many pesos will it cost me to get that installed...? Can you use the Navi CD's in the rear changer?

2. When I turn on my ML the MCS screen turns on and gives a message "Telaide Please Visit Workshop"...? I think that means visit the dealer..??

3. The Flexible Service System number that is displayed in the same location as the odometer and trip displayed like this.... (One or Two Wrenches) then a DASH and then 6700. Does that mean the system is indicating 6700 miles to service or its past due 6700 miles for service and the dash actually stands for a minus?!!

4. Also the vehicle didn't come with a second key fob or manual... Luckly CarMax will reimburse me for those. Just curious how much they both go for...?

Thanks for any help.

Baltimore Tom
Old 03-16-2004, 03:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 RX 350 F Sport, 2007 Scion tC, 2000 ML 430 Money Pit Finally Gone! Oh Happy Day!
Re: NEW OWNER 2001 ML320 Questions???

Originally posted by tkelley

1. My ML came with the MCS LCD and CD changer in the rear but no Navi CD player behind the LCD. How many pesos will it cost me to get that installed...? Can you use the Navi CD's in the rear changer?

2. When I turn on my ML the MCS screen turns on and gives a message "Telaide Please Visit Workshop"...? I think that means visit the dealer..??

3. The Flexible Service System number that is displayed in the same location as the odometer and trip displayed like this.... (One or Two Wrenches) then a DASH and then 6700. Does that mean the system is indicating 6700 miles to service or its past due 6700 miles for service and the dash actually stands for a minus?!!

4. Also the vehicle didn't come with a second key fob or manual... Luckly CarMax will reimburse me for those. Just curious how much they both go for...?
I can answer some of your questions.............

1. You can't use the Nav CD's in the rear changer. The Nav CD player behind the LCD was a $2000.00 option in 2000 models. You might want to call the dealer for prices for unit and installation. If your handy you might find one on ebay and install it yourself.

2. Don't know about this question.

3. One wrench indicates 'A' service, two 'B' service. Sounds like your 6700 miles past due on you service. Having never been over due on my service myself thats a guess on my part.

4. Key fobs are expensive and only upon proof that your the owner will you be able to buy only at the dealership. I believe they are a little over $100.00 or so. You can buy an owners manual by calling the 1-800-FOR-MERCEDES.

A lot of good information can be gotten here on the internet about your truck. You also might want to check out the forums at http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/index.php3

Good luck with your new truck.
Old 03-16-2004, 03:31 PM
Almost a Member!

2001 ML 320
Hey thanks alot for you're help. I appreaciate it.
What is "A" service and "B" service...??
Sounds like the service computer wasn't reset when it was at the third party dealer. I will probably take her in and get all my i dotted and t's crossed.

tom
Old 03-16-2004, 04:51 PM

2014 RX 350 F Sport, 2007 Scion tC, 2000 ML 430 Money Pit Finally Gone! Oh Happy Day!
Originally posted by tkelley
What is "A" service and "B" service...??
The owners manual explains in detail what the "A" and "B" services include. Both include oil and filter changes along with inspecting a few things.
Old 03-16-2004, 05:16 PM

Originally posted by azinn
The owners manual explains in detail what the "A" and "B" services include. Both include oil and filter changes along with inspecting a few things.
tkelly............... found this at my dealers website

Flexible Service System - A-Service

What we do:
- Change your vehicle's engine oil and filter
- Replace the dust filter in all SLK, CLK, C-Class and E-Class models
- Ensure the warning and indicator lamps, horn, windshield/headlamp
wiper and washer systems, and seat belts are functioning correctly
- Inspect tires and check tire pressure (including spare)
- Inspect brake pad thickness and disc condition
- Check and correct all fluid levels
- Reset your vehicle's FSS counter

Flexible Service System - B-Service

What we do:
- Change your vehicle's engine oil and filter
- Replace the dust filter in all SLK, CLK, C-Class and E-Class models,
and in S-Class and SL-Class models without the active charcoal filter
- Replace windshield wiper inserts
- Inspect and rotate tires
- Lubricate and inspect throttle linkage
- Ensure the parking brake, steering play, headlamps and exterior lamps,
warning and indicator lamps, horn, windshield/headlamp wiper and washer
systems, seat belts, and backrest lock (S-Class only) are functioning correctly
- Inspect tires and check tire pressure (including spare)
- Inspect brake pad thickness and disc condition
- Inspect front axle ball joints and Poly-V-belt
- Check and correct all fluid levels
- Reset your vehicle's FSS counter
Old 03-16-2004, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML320
About a year ago, the Nav/CD module for the MCS cost somewhere in the range of about $750. A Nav CD cost about $150 at the time. (I haven't checked up on these prices recently) It's a relatively quick and easy install for a 2001 ML - you could do it yourself - thereby not having to pay the stealership for installation. The 2002's and up need some dealer programming to get the voice part of the navigation up, but this is not needed for your 2001.

As of 2003, the CD-Nav module was replaced by a DVD-based nav module. The benefit is that instead of having separate CD's for each region, one DVD fits all of the United States and Canada - so no longer any need to get more than one disk or switch disks on-the-go.

The DVD module can be retrofitted to an older (2000 and up) ML - installation should be the same as with the CD Nav module.

The nav system needs the CD/DVD to be in the front slot - won't work in the changer in the back.

The TeleAid workshop message means it wants to go to the dealer. And the -6700 means that it's 6700 miles past due. Check the records to see when the car was serviced and if/when the A and B services were done.

Hope this helps