M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Crank Position Sensor gone bad - again?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Crank Position Sensor gone bad - again?!

guys, earlier this month I was having problems getting my car (ML430) to start. I tried everything I could think of and nearly gave up.

here's the original thread: https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...604#post632604

Well, after some further research of similiar cases on other vehicles I was able to narrow it down to the Crank Position Sensor (CPS).

So I was able to secure a new CPS from a dealer in Jersey and installed in the ML430. It ran, it ran great! I was thrilled that after so long I was now able to drive the car rather then just have it look good in the driveway.

Then two days ago the car refused to start at all. A turn of the key would have the engine cranking but it would NOT start. needless to say I am frustrated with this problem.

Anyways, the car has returned to it's usual self as a non-running ML430 in my driveway.

The fuel pump runs
the coils are giving spark
the fuel injectors are getting power

It has to be the CPS again but is that common or what's the deal?

Thanks for anyones help!

-Ron
Old 11-06-2011, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 ml430 2000slk230
With you here

Well I have a similar problem, we replaced CPS bought at O'Reillys and checked fuel pump, cleaned MAS and still does not run. Cranks but no start going to check connection tommorrow to CPS. She sure does look good in driveway though. P.S. If you have solved your problem or have any ideas give me a shout thanks.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:46 PM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
2000 ML320 2006 SLK 350
I think with a bad CPS you would not get any cranks

Originally Posted by rsfortier
Well I have a similar problem, we replaced CPS bought at O'Reillys and checked fuel pump, cleaned MAS and still does not run. Cranks but no start going to check connection tommorrow to CPS. She sure does look good in driveway though. P.S. If you have solved your problem or have any ideas give me a shout thanks.
It could be a bad fuel pump...a bad fuel pump will give you all the cranks but no fuel supply and thus no start...

I had my CPS go bad at 120,000 miles...my indy mechanic wisely adviced me to replace both the CPS and the fuel pump at the same time..
Old 11-08-2011, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 751 Likes on 699 Posts
2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
Originally Posted by rsfortier
Buy a spark tester and check for spark.

https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w...t-starter.html