M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Should I buy a ML or not?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
Originally Posted by chivas228
would it be a bad idea to get a 00 ML430 with 103K miles? I figure by the time the ML hits 100K miles, all the problems should have been replaced/solved. Could i be wrong? should i not even concider a ML with such high miles? The price could be right but i definately would like to avoid buyer's remorse. Thanks for any opinions.
dont even touch it. 100k? even if youre getting it for next to nothing...its too many miles.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
Look at the service history. Two things could happen: if vehicle had no problema at all, you're fine. If vehicle had typical problems (e-mail me for that) repaired, then you may be fine. Otherwise run, and run fast.

Now, personally, since I have driven a lot of these trucks, I'll not get any thing but a MY02+ ML, regardless of mileage. The redesign (ergonomics) of the MY02+ MLs is a tremendous leap in improvement compared with pre MY02 models.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:15 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ahopeter
dont even touch it. 100k? even if youre getting it for next to nothing...its too many miles.
well, how much do you think it's worth? I was going to get a C230K but i read it sucked in the snow and in NJ, you'll never know when the old man winter has an attitude (one year, 1" of snow all winter, next year, 3' in one night). The only reason i'm looking at a MB is because of safety. My dad asked why i don't get a Volvo instead and i replied: "then i might as well get a Ford." I always though MB's built quality cars but now that i know better.... i may just spend less for a pathfinder or a 4runner (and damn those 4 runners last forever but has no soul).
Old 07-12-2004, 10:39 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by Darkmann
Look at the service history. Two things could happen: if vehicle had no problema at all, you're fine. If vehicle had typical problems (e-mail me for that) repaired, then you may be fine. Otherwise run, and run fast.

Now, personally, since I have driven a lot of these trucks, I'll not get any thing but a MY02+ ML, regardless of mileage. The redesign (ergonomics) of the MY02+ MLs is a tremendous leap in improvement compared with pre MY02 models.

he said that all the recalls were done (power steering and rear seat belts) and used M1 sythetic all the time. he said he hasn't experienced any problems ever. windows always worked and the radio has been replaced already. he just did the brakes after 26K miles. It sounds like well taken cared of ML and i figure after 100K miles, either the car will fall apart or if it hasn't already, it wouldn't do it any time soon.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

well, how much do you think it's worth? I was going to get a C230K but i read it sucked in the snow and in NJ, you'll never know when the old man winter has an attitude (one year, 1" of snow all winter, next year, 3' in one night). The only reason i'm looking at a MB is because of safety. My dad asked why i don't get a Volvo instead and i replied: "then i might as well get a Ford." I always though MB's built quality cars but now that i know better.... i may just spend less for a pathfinder or a 4runner (and damn those 4 runners last forever but has no soul).
where injersey are you? im in jersey too! how much does the owner of the ml want? what kind of options? either way, i think its not worth it with that kind of mils. i'll sell you my modded 2000 320 with 39k.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:51 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by ahopeter
where injersey are you? im in jersey too! how much does the owner of the ml want? what kind of options? either way, i think its not worth it with that kind of mils. i'll sell you my modded 2000 320 with 39k.

i'm in clifton. I drive only 2.2 miles each way to work (the park and ride). He's asking somethign like $17K and it's got nav. it's a 430 and that's what perks my interest. I would like to have some power here now; i use to own a 93 300ZX Twinturbo modded out so i will need some oomph to any car i get..
Old 07-12-2004, 11:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i'm in clifton. I drive only 2.2 miles each way to work (the park and ride). He's asking somethign like $17K and it's got nav. it's a 430 and that's what perks my interest. I would like to have some power here now; i use to own a 93 300ZX Twinturbo modded out so i will need some oomph to any car i get..
im in alpine. 430's only huh, well good luck with the search but i think you should avoid this particular car...too high mileage.
Old 07-12-2004, 11:31 PM
Almost a Member!

I'm also coming from a pretty fast car, 95 M3. I need more utility and I'm considering a ML320. I test drove one the other day and the power seemed to be "enough". I love how they look and the spacious interior. Anyhow, I'm just a little concered with the problems that are posted here and other sites. I've pretty much ruled out 98's and 99's as I've seen a number or posts of people being left stranded, which i really hope they are a minority. Anyhow, this has been a good thread to read. thanks.....

Last edited by gshock; 07-13-2004 at 12:46 AM.
Old 07-12-2004, 11:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

anyone interested in a heavily modified excellent condition 2000 320?
Old 07-19-2004, 12:12 AM

C63 / ////AMG
Cool ML ownership is a Love Hate relationship

We purchased our 2000 ML430 in July 2000. Our first SUV purchase.

We like it for the following reasons:

-Was a good buy compared to anything else on the market at the time.
-Decent power.
-Off road capability when we trek into the mountains.
-Decent navigation system. Way easier to use than the one in our Porsche Cayenne.
-Replaced the front headrests with DVD monitors for the kids.
-Back seat cover available from Mercedes to keep the kids mess off the leather
-Thank God we purchased the extended warranty (see below)

Dislikes:
-1st month of ownership invloved dealer rewiring the SRS/airbag system due to malfunction
-Brakes and rotors seem to wear out every year
-Cheap interior plastic/vinyl seems to get scratched/cracked/gouged very easily
-At 59,000 miles the check engine light went on -airmass sensor needed replacement under extended warranty
-Shortly thereafter, power steering took a big dump on the garage floor. I drove it to the dealer sans power. Steering rack replaced under extended :p warranty. Dealer also noticed motor mounts needed replacement - also covered under warranty.