M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

BAS/ESP - Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 02:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 ML55 AMG (W163)
BAS/ESP - Help

Hi,

Been reading a few threads on the BAS/ESP issue on this forum, but i couldn't find one that related exactly to the issues that i am having. Appologies if some or part of my issue has been explained in some parts or other threads, but wanted some help on my specific issue and some suggestions.

About 2 weeks ago, when i starting from a stop during normal acceleration I started noticing a mechanical sound, that seemed to come from the left front of the vehicle. Almost like something mechanical was loose, that fell into place once i accelerated. If i would start slow, it wouldn't happen, just during normal or heavy acceleration. A week later, the BAS/ESP light came on at times, and also the ESP light on the center console is blackened out. The light would be on at times, then off. This morning when i started the car and went around the corner, the warning triangle started flashing, and the car automatically started to break by it self. Pretty scary, but i was going slow. And after shutting off the car, and turning it on again the issue disappeared.

I have done alot of fixes here myself, via thanks to people on this forum. But since its breaking related, i am almost thinking to turn the car in to the dealer, as i really don't want that Auto breaking to happen again.

I do have access to quite a few junkyards in my area, and could get parts easily if needed, but wanted to get some feedback here first before i do anything. The W163 model i have is the ML 55 if that matters

Very thankful for any suggestions, and help.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:22 PM

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
'22 GLE 350 | '15 ML250 | '87 560SL | '19 GLC 300 | '12 C250 (sold) | '02 ML500 | '98 C230
Originally Posted by moemoe
Hi,

Been reading a few threads on the BAS/ESP issue on this forum, but i couldn't find one that related exactly to the issues that i am having. Appologies if some or part of my issue has been explained in some parts or other threads, but wanted some help on my specific issue and some suggestions.

About 2 weeks ago, when i starting from a stop during normal acceleration I started noticing a mechanical sound, that seemed to come from the left front of the vehicle. Almost like something mechanical was loose, that fell into place once i accelerated. If i would start slow, it wouldn't happen, just during normal or heavy acceleration. A week later, the BAS/ESP light came on at times, and also the ESP light on the center console is blackened out. The light would be on at times, then off. This morning when i started the car and went around the corner, the warning triangle started flashing, and the car automatically started to break by it self. Pretty scary, but i was going slow. And after shutting off the car, and turning it on again the issue disappeared.

I have done alot of fixes here myself, via thanks to people on this forum. But since its breaking related, i am almost thinking to turn the car in to the dealer, as i really don't want that Auto breaking to happen again.

I do have access to quite a few junkyards in my area, and could get parts easily if needed, but wanted to get some feedback here first before i do anything. The W163 model i have is the ML 55 if that matters

Scan the truck. The grinding you heard from left front was the ABS motor engaging. Brushes may be toast to start with, but you need to look at codes.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 139 Likes on 135 Posts
02w163ML500 / 97w210E50AMG / 99w202C230k / 95w124500e-wip
Hi,

Once the BAS/ESP lights come on, there should be a saved code, moe?
Scan and POST.

The simple things to check -
- Brake light switch.
- Disconnect battery and apply brake for 30secs; Re-initalize the system and then with the suv running, crank the steering wheel all the way to the left and then to the right. This resets the steering angle sensor.
- brake pad sensor

When these lights come on, it can mean that there is a fault with either the brake assist or the stability control.

Attached ESP codes (courtesy of Maj. Dundee)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ESP Codes.PDF (88.9 KB, 219 views)
Old 02-10-2019, 01:50 PM

2000 ML55 AMG (W163)
The mechanical noise i mentioned above is not really a grinding noise, there is no noise when the car is operating normally. Its just when you stand still, and at initial acceleration, that it sort of skips. Similar to if something was loose, that falls into place as you accelerate. Hard to explain, but i guess it could be the ABS motor engaging, or doing something as you start accelerating.

Went to a local shop and they scanned my car for free, got a lot of codes, but i know that one could trigger another etc. Here are the codes we got, some also seem to have the same code.

C1320 - Undocumented Code
C1120 - ESP Yaw Rate Sensor N/64 of Sensor Signal
C1000 - Control Module
C1022 - CAN Bus: FAult in communication with ME N3/10 Right
C1140 - Steering Angle Sensor

Thanks in advance for any suggestons, or what i should do.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The mechanical noise i mentioned above is not really a grinding noise, there is no noise when the car is operating normally. Its just when you stand still, and at initial acceleration, that it sort of skips. Similar to if something was loose, that falls into place as you accelerate. Hard to explain, but i guess it could be the ABS motor engaging, or doing something as you start accelerating.

Went to a local shop and they scanned my car for free, got a lot of codes, but i know that one could trigger another etc. Here are the codes we got, some also seem to have the same code.

C1320 - Undocumented Code
C1120 - ESP Yaw Rate Sensor N/64 of Sensor Signal
C1000 - Control Module
C1022 - CAN Bus: FAult in communication with ME N3/10 Right
C1140 - Steering Angle Sensor

Thanks in advance for any suggestons, or what i should do.
Do a google search with "C1320 C1120 C1000 C1022 C1140 error codes w163". You'll find related forum links (this forum and the other) for all these saved C codes your scan produced. They provide you with the steps to proceed with. Unfortunately, it's a step-by-step process with these types of errors.
example

Old 02-10-2019, 02:20 PM

2000 ML55 AMG (W163)
Originally Posted by khomer2
Do a google search with "C1320 C1120 C1000 C1022 C1140 error codes w163". You'll find related forum links (this forum and the other) for all these saved C codes your scan produced. They provide you with the steps to proceed with. Unfortunately, it's a step-by-step process with these types of errors.
example
The Yaw Rate Sensor actually came up 6 times with the same error, and reading a bit online maybe this could be it? I get the process, and know some junk yards, would you suggest getting a used Yaw Rate Sensor as a start, and go from there? I also need to get a new scanner, as my BlueDriver (which had nice reviews, doesnt support ABS codes as it looks)

Last edited by moemoe; 02-10-2019 at 02:22 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The Yaw Rate Sensor actually came up 6 times with the same error, and reading a bit online maybe this could be it? I get the process, and know some junk yards, would suggest getting a used Yaw Rate Sensor as a start, and go from there? I also need to get a new scanner, as my BlueDriver (which had nice reviews, doesnt support ABS codes as it looks)
Keep us posted on your findings moe.
Old 01-18-2020, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 ML55 AMG, 05 E55 AMG, 02 SLK32 AMG
Originally Posted by khomer2
Keep us posted on your findings moe.
any updates on this? I think this is the same exact issue I’m having with my 2000 ML55!
Old 01-18-2020, 09:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 754 Likes on 702 Posts
2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
Originally Posted by KingDEL23
any updates on this? I think this is the same exact issue I’m having with my 2000 ML55!
King, you have to explain your own problem and have you scanned for codes in ESP module?