M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

condensation on headlights solution?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
condensation on headlights solution?

anyone find a solution to condensation in the headlight assemblies? ive put silicone on everything, including the seals...the only place air can be getting in is the air vents. any solutions out there? thanks
Old 07-13-2004, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
When I first got the truck I had condensation on one headlight...only one. I called my service rep and he said "oh, thats normal"......I said.."I don't think so." So I got them to replace the headlight for me and I have never had condensation yet an any headlight...old and new. Now if it was normal why didn't both have it? And why don't I still have it?

Things that make you go Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 07-13-2004, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Originally Posted by ahopeter
anyone find a solution to condensation in the headlight assemblies? ive put silicone on everything, including the seals...the only place air can be getting in is the air vents. any solutions out there? thanks

That is making the problem worse, you are sealing in the humid air. Get them changed under warranty.
Old 07-13-2004, 11:08 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 Kleemann ML43K
Originally Posted by Stiggs
When I first got the truck I had condensation on one headlight...only one. I called my service rep and he said "oh, thats normal"......I said.."I don't think so." So I got them to replace the headlight for me and I have never had condensation yet an any headlight...old and new. Now if it was normal why didn't both have it? And why don't I still have it?
Surprising and rare for an MB forum. BUT they say only those who have the issue complain about it. There are probably 1,000s of '02 and newer Hella bi-xenon owners who have never had visible moisture in their headlights. Then again there are the Enron Exec wive types who have never looked at their headlight housings and never will. But touche--just like I don't browse at Nieman Marcus looking at furs for dust. I have the issue but I live with it. I may be rare in my acceptance but my dealer says it is what it is. Sorry...
Old 07-14-2004, 12:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
Stiggs, the dealer says all kind of garbage to avoid fixing things....its pathetic.

AlBoston, the headlights are for my '00...i put them on aftermarket.
Old 07-14-2004, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
Originally Posted by LOCHS 2
Surprising and rare for an MB forum. BUT they say only those who have the issue complain about it. There are probably 1,000s of '02 and newer Hella bi-xenon owners who have never had visible moisture in their headlights. Then again there are the Enron Exec wive types who have never looked at their headlight housings and never will. But touche--just like I don't browse at Nieman Marcus looking at furs for dust. I have the issue but I live with it. I may be rare in my acceptance but my dealer says it is what it is. Sorry...

Sorry...not getting your point. Are you saying you believe the dealers...or are you saying the dealers are full of crap??
Old 07-14-2004, 11:16 AM
Almost a Member!

1999 Kleemann ML43K
Cool

Originally Posted by Stiggs
Sorry...not getting your point. Are you saying you believe the dealers...or are you saying the dealers are full of crap??
I believe that it is either a Hella design flaw or a symptom of those Hella lamps residing in an ML. [can't speak for other MB models]. The dealer has replaced lamps in the past only to find the issue repeating. I know that bi-xenon headlamps retail for $2600 from the dealer. I know PP sells them for around $1400. I don't know what they cost wholesale but if MB would cover this issue under warranty my dealer would replace them at every turn. Apparently, MB does not cover full replacement for the moisture issue. If they do, then my dealer is just full of it. One thing I do believe and know for a fact is that they will not perform any type of manual quick fix [such as sealing with silicone]. The only answers are to live with the moisture, try fixing it myself [not an option--I'm not skilled in this area], or buy new assemblies and hope the problem goes away[kind of an expensive option don't you think?]. I would hope that if the mositure issue caused actual damage such as a short or bulb burn out that MB would do a recall. They have not--so I believe that the moisture is really not a major safety issue but rather a visible annoyance. Again, not that I stare at EVERY head lamp of every ML that drives towards me or as I pass one looking in my rearview mirror or I see in a parking lot--but I have not seen this moisture on any other ML. Interestingly enough it happens after a high powered car wash and also after a heavy rainfall--strangely it only has happened once in my right assembly so go figure.

p.s.--Just curious...how many of you have had your bi-xenons installed after market [like me] as opposed to MLs that had the bi-xenons installed at the factory?
Old 07-14-2004, 01:19 PM

The rule of thumb is that if you turn the headlights on and leave them on for 15 minutes and after that the moisture is still there then the headlight is BAD. Autogunner.
Old 07-14-2004, 01:25 PM
Almost a Member!

1999 Kleemann ML43K
Originally Posted by autogunner
The rule of thumb is that if you turn the headlights on and leave them on for 15 minutes and after that the moisture is still there then the headlight is BAD. Autogunner.
Then mine are bad because after 15 minutes the only dry spot that I see is where the beam pattern hits the plastic. If xenon bulbs were as hot as halogens it would probably evaporate at a much faster rate.

It basically takes 4 -7 days of no rain for the water to dissipate naturally. When I go OCD in the winter time to get the salt off they are moist all the time--even with the dryer winter air compared to summer time humidity.
Old 07-14-2004, 01:36 PM

If both of your plastic covers on the back side are on good and tight then you do have bad headlights and if it takes that long for them to dry then your drain holes must be stoped up. If you check them and they are O.K. then take it to the dealer and tell them it is a safety problem and you want them replaces, They probably will replace them if it is takeing several days for it to evaporate. Autogunner.
Old 07-14-2004, 01:52 PM
Almost a Member!

1999 Kleemann ML43K
Question

Originally Posted by autogunner
If both of your plastic covers on the back side are on good and tight then you do have bad headlights and if it takes that long for them to dry then your drain holes must be stoped up. If you check them and they are O.K. then take it to the dealer and tell them it is a safety problem and you want them replaces, They probably will replace them if it is takeing several days for it to evaporate. Autogunner.
Thanks for the advice Autogunner. Where do I look for the drain holes. Is it easy for me to "un-clog" them? Well, heck I can just take it the dealer and tell them to make sure the drains are clear and the back covers are on tight. Are these the two main areas that would account as the source of the water problem? It is interesting how easily the water gets in yet is so hard to get out.

I guess I'm confused about this also: Is it actually water squirting in or is it more like the condensation effect of a cold glass of water on a really hot day?