M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Hello, New member here....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 07:57 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile Hello, New member here....

Hello fellow M-class owners!
I am hoping to learn something from you guys, and maybe help you out a bit if your questions aren't too esoteric. I am a 4 year Mercedes Benz technician, and now also a client. I have an '04 ML500, and actually owning one has taught me a lot. I have been certified for the last 3 years, but try to learn something new every day. Right now I am working on a satellite radio install which involves converting my non satellite MCS unit to one that is capable of that function. I have found a few minor issues, but nothing that should prevent the swap.
I bought my ML in march, and opted for a low options 500 over a better equipped 350 because I am a horsepower freak. The ML500's are almost as quick as the ML55, and among the fastest SUVs out there. Mine is equipped with the sunroof and comfort packages, but no other options. I added a rear seat DVD system that was left over in the parts dept. They couldn't sell it anymore so I got a deal on it! I also added a cd changer (it fell in my lap), a set of all weather floor mats, and a cargo area tray. Its been a great truck so far, I just have a hard time with all the brake dust... I never realized how bad it truly is on these cars until now.
For those interested in such things, here is the latest war story:
One of the loaner vehicles (ML350) is brought in with an inoperative MCS display. One of the customers put thier fist through it. It cannot be warranteed and will cost a lot to replace. I dig up an older unit, that refuses to accept its radio code. Its display is fully functional still. I completely disassembled both units, and swapped the display screens. The old and new version MCS units both have the identical screens and it now works perfectly. I am trying to get the boss to let me swap the repaired unit in to my ML and give him mine to put in the loaner car. This will allow me to put the satellite radio in my ML. I got one of the '04 model ML's without the SAT button on the MCS. Warranty already issued a bulletin stating we cannot replace an MCS with that of another part number. Bummer. Wish me luck!
Let me know if I can help you guys with anything. I work on all newer Mercedes models, and bought the ML500 due to the bang for the buck factor.
I try to work mostly on electrical issues, telematics and such, but can tackle most any job brought in.
Old 07-19-2004, 11:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
saturn...welcome to the family. its always good to have a tech around. im sure youll find this place is a wealth of information... even for a tech.
Old 07-21-2004, 05:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'13 ML350 Bluetec for work, E550 for pleasure, & ML350 for my wife
Hello saturnstyl,

I'm another new owner, bought the wife an 05 ML500 LE about 6 weeks ago. I'm nuts for power as well, and the 500 pretty much included just about any option we could want.

EXCEPT XM radio. Being as you are an electrical MB Tech, I'd like your opinion on which specific XM tuner you would add to factory premium sound system/nav system.

TIA, David
Old 07-21-2004, 06:22 PM

Easy question. The optional (dealer installed) Sirius system. Its fully integrated in to the head unit, over the fiber optic bus. Its already prewired. They will add a module in the back near the cd changer, and drill a hole in the roof and attach the antenna in front of the GPS antenna. The head unit will be programmed, and you will be able to use all the controls on the head unit for satellite radio. I am one of the unlucky '04 owners with the prewiring but without the head unit with the SAT button. I have to find a new headunit which is proving quite difficult and expensive.
Tips for happy ML 500 ownership:
Rotate the tires often. (you may wish to put michelins on when they wear out. the michelins have a lower speed rating, but who drives that fast?)
Change the oil regularly. I will be changing mine far more frequently than called for. That seems to be the number one factor in any engine issues we encounter.
Your brakes WILL wear more quickly than you are used to. Its just a fact of life with an ML 500. These are heavy vehicles, and also they are relatively quick. This combination equals rapid brake wear. You can expect to replace the rotors every time you replace the pads too.
I would be surprised if you have any major issues out of this vehicle. Since the '03 model year, the ML class has been the most trouble free of any model.
I have recently discovered that adjusting the octane settings with the MB computers only results in a detriment to fuel economy and power. I had mine set to 93 for quite some time, and after test driving a few other ML500s I noticed they were quicker. I set the timing back to the base setting and found my power was up, and my fuel economy has improved.
Have fun! I am taking mine on a 3700 mile road trip in a little over a week!
Old 07-21-2004, 07:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'13 ML350 Bluetec for work, E550 for pleasure, & ML350 for my wife
Thanks for the info!

The oil change intervals seems to be a hotly debated subject in both MB's & BMW's. It's hard for me to believe what both maunufacturers recommend. I drive a 2003 X5 4.4 that I've had just over a year now, and have so far only racked up 4,500 miles. I changed at 4000, overkill according to many folks, but the car sits a lot, and oil is cheap compared to the car. My daily driver is my company GMC 2500HD with an 8.1, the X5 only goes out on weekends. At the rate I'm going my BMW stealer probably won't give me a free service for another year or so, so I changed the oil myself @ 4k. Plan on doing the same with the ML.
I like horsepower! I'd love to race the X5 against the ML, but I'm quite sure the wife would never agree to that! :o)
Happy motoring.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 S550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by saturnstyl
Easy question. The optional (dealer installed) Sirius system. Its fully integrated in to the head unit, over the fiber optic bus. Its already prewired. They will add a module in the back near the cd changer, and drill a hole in the roof and attach the antenna in front of the GPS antenna. The head unit will be programmed, and you will be able to use all the controls on the head unit for satellite radio. I am one of the unlucky '04 owners with the prewiring but without the head unit with the SAT button. I have to find a new headunit which is proving quite difficult and expensive.
Tips for happy ML 500 ownership:
Rotate the tires often. (you may wish to put michelins on when they wear out. the michelins have a lower speed rating, but who drives that fast?)
Change the oil regularly. I will be changing mine far more frequently than called for. That seems to be the number one factor in any engine issues we encounter.
Your brakes WILL wear more quickly than you are used to. Its just a fact of life with an ML 500. These are heavy vehicles, and also they are relatively quick. This combination equals rapid brake wear. You can expect to replace the rotors every time you replace the pads too.
I would be surprised if you have any major issues out of this vehicle. Since the '03 model year, the ML class has been the most trouble free of any model.
I have recently discovered that adjusting the octane settings with the MB computers only results in a detriment to fuel economy and power. I had mine set to 93 for quite some time, and after test driving a few other ML500s I noticed they were quicker. I set the timing back to the base setting and found my power was up, and my fuel economy has improved.
Have fun! I am taking mine on a 3700 mile road trip in a little over a week!

Kind sir:
Can you give any suggestions on adding a Sirius radio to my 2000 CL 500? I would like to be able to swap it back and forth to my wife's 2001 E320 wagon. Should I buy a "plug and play" model with 2 car kits? Thanks for your advice in advance.

"Dammit Jim, I'm a Doctor, not a Mechanic!"
Old 08-18-2004, 08:01 PM

Your 2000 model 215 IS NOT prewired for SAT radio. The best solution is to buy what you describe, and swap the reciever around between cars, and even your house. Just get the FM modulated variety and be careful which wires you tap for power! And be EXTREMELY careful with that center console wood. They aren't prone to breakage or anything, but they are incredibly expensive if they do get broken. 215 is my favorite car, I would own one if I had the money..... CL65AMG..... DROOL.....
Old 08-18-2004, 10:40 PM

2008 S550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by saturnstyl
Your 2000 model 215 IS NOT prewired for SAT radio. The best solution is to buy what you describe, and swap the reciever around between cars, and even your house. Just get the FM modulated variety and be careful which wires you tap for power! And be EXTREMELY careful with that center console wood. They aren't prone to breakage or anything, but they are incredibly expensive if they do get broken. 215 is my favorite car, I would own one if I had the money..... CL65AMG..... DROOL.....
Thanks for the advice! I've decided to plunk down an extra hundred bucks to have a local stereo shop do it right.
I also drool over the CL65, but what a price tag!
Old 11-24-2007, 08:39 AM

ML 500
What should the octane setting be??? (93 is the standard isn't it? Can it be set lower. What is the "base" that you refer to that increases fuel economy and performance?

Also, can you help me with an MCS radio issue. My radio suddenly stopped making sound (but everything else works). BOSE amp? Fiber optic cable? software upgrade needed? Fault in Command system? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!