M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

anyone have the Hands Free Communcation system??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 11:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 C250 sport
anyone have the Hands Free Communcation system??

does anybody here have the hands free phone w/ VCS system in your ML??does it work well?? my dad is having it installed today/tomorrow in his '03 ML55...it's going to be about $2500 overall w/ 5 hours of labor, the phone itself, and installation...is that a good price??it seems ridiculous to me, although our service manager is going to try and give us a "good price" on it....any feedback is appreciated!thanks!
Old 09-08-2004, 11:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
that is way WAY overpriced. should be about 1200. what system are you installing?
Old 09-08-2004, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 C250 sport
Originally Posted by ahopeter
that is way WAY overpriced. should be about 1200. what system are you installing?
the price includes the 5 hours of labor, the system itself, and the cell phone...hopefully, he will give us a better price than the original 2500
Old 09-09-2004, 12:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

what cell phone??? that makes the difference cause everything else shouldnt really top out over 1400.
Old 09-09-2004, 01:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 C250 sport
Originally Posted by ahopeter
what cell phone??? that makes the difference cause everything else shouldnt really top out over 1400.
the hands free communication system IS a phone, that's what the system is all about...Mercedes dealers have Motorola cell phones that dock into the center console armrest compartment, downloads your contacts(phone numbers) into the MCS, and charges there too. The hands free part is that you can talk through your sound system without using your hands, and VCS is where you can say who you want to call and it will call it. According to MBUSA, the hands free communication system w/ VCS is $2,045. So plus labor, it probably would be around 2500, even though that's still ridiculous....
Old 09-09-2004, 01:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I understand that. but you are saying that the price is inclusive of the phone. so your definition of phone is the kit? in that case, yes... it is definitely overpriced.
Old 09-09-2004, 02:43 AM

1999 ML430
My 1999 came with one and by the time I bought the car in 2001, the analog phone was obsolete for U.S. cellular providers.

I was working on a project in Central Mexico several months later and had the phone activated there. I loved it and found it very safe and useful. There is no way that I would pay thousands of dollars to upgrade it to a digital model. I bought one of those Jabra wireless earpieces instead and it works fine.
Old 09-09-2004, 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

just buy a bluetooth phone, and get the new bluetooth car kit from verizon. its great, cheap, and installs really easy.
Old 09-09-2004, 07:39 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
Installing a phone in an ML is a PITA. 5 hours is correct at my dealer also. You have to pull the radio, glovebox, passenger underdash and right front seat out, along with pulling out the entire center console. Getting the amplifier in to the dash is an adventure itself, then you have to contend with trying to hook up the handset cord and reinstall the center console storage box. It aint fun. Nobody at my dealer will even bother screwing with them anymore except me. I have done lots, and got good at it!
Once I saw an ML phone install literally bring a man to tears. It was quite funny in hindsight. Dude was so frustrated after spending hours to install it and still couldn't get it in..... I'll teach them to steal my work!!! :v
Old 09-09-2004, 11:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 C250 sport
Originally Posted by saturnstyl
Installing a phone in an ML is a PITA. 5 hours is correct at my dealer also. You have to pull the radio, glovebox, passenger underdash and right front seat out, along with pulling out the entire center console. Getting the amplifier in to the dash is an adventure itself, then you have to contend with trying to hook up the handset cord and reinstall the center console storage box. It aint fun. Nobody at my dealer will even bother screwing with them anymore except me. I have done lots, and got good at it!
Once I saw an ML phone install literally bring a man to tears. It was quite funny in hindsight. Dude was so frustrated after spending hours to install it and still couldn't get it in..... I'll teach them to steal my work!!! :v
wow! that is a ton of work, no wonder they charge so much....if you dont mind me asking, how much does your dealer charge, total(installation,labor,cell phone)?? thanks!
Old 09-10-2004, 12:01 AM
Almost a Member!

Don't know if it's true but FYI, I read somewhere that the caller ID is displayed on the MCS only after you picked up the call. Can someone confirm if it's true or not?
Old 09-10-2004, 08:32 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
AKBRO, 5 hours labor to install.
Don't know about the caller ID thing.....
Old 09-11-2004, 12:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 C250 sport
Originally Posted by Noscyr
Don't know if it's true but FYI, I read somewhere that the caller ID is displayed on the MCS only after you picked up the call. Can someone confirm if it's true or not?
we just got the car back today....im pretty sure that the caller ID is only displayed on the MCS if you have entered the number into your address book....no caller ID otherwise(which sucks), at least that's what I have experienced so far. Otherwise, so far the voice recognition works flawlessly, it understands what you say very easily, and the calls come in very clear. The only bad thing is that the Motorola V60i cell phone has dated technology, meaning no SIM card(so you have to enter all of your contacts manually, rather than just switching the SIM card from your old phone and automatically putting all your contacts on your new phone), and also, no new technology GSM networking. I hear that Mercedes is upgrading the cell phones to newer ones in a few months....will we be able to get the new one once it comes out without any problems??thanks!
PS- Mercedes Benz of Fresno had two new SLK350's, one launch edition and one standard model Iridium silver/black w/ heating package,auto transmission, and premium package...I sat in the Iridium silver one, and wow, the interior feels very solid(meaning no creaking, giving in when various interior panels are pressed, buttons that dont squirm around when pressed). The car also looks very good in person, and the standard wheels look bigger and better in person than in pictures...