M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

thinking of trading in my ML

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 08:28 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thinking of trading in my ML

I just got it last Easter, and although I don't have any major problems with it, I don't really enjoy driving it much.. So I'm thinking of trading it in or selling it and getting myself a C230 or something in that price range..

the KBB trade-in value on it is around $25,000 (27k miles 02 ML320) and it says private party value is around $28-29,000, which is around what I paid for it at the dealership a few months ago.

I know most of you guys live elsewhere, but is it reasonable to expect that sort of money for this car? I could be persuaded to wait a few months if it's possible someone will come along and buy it for what I originally paid..
Old 09-13-2004, 08:40 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
Help us out a little, what exactly are you looking for? Smaller? Better gas mileage? Cheaper? Handling? Better ride? What don't you like in particular about the ML? Do ya just need more power?
Old 09-13-2004, 10:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
price is a little high... and if you are thinking of dumping it... do it now. soon everyone is going to know about the looming w164... and if you wait til then, youll get peanuts for it.
Old 09-13-2004, 10:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

and dont get a 230... a friend of mine just bought one and he is major league disappointed with it. its as slow as a snail, and has alot of rattles... at only 5k!!
Old 09-14-2004, 05:58 AM
Almost a Member!

well to be honest, the ML was an impulse buy of sorts.

i'd gotten in a fairly scary car accident and wanted a big car/suv as my next. I surprisingly got a VERY good deal from the insurance company for the car (declared totalled.. 2002 Toyota Celica around 20k miles; they wrote me a check for a little over $19,000, which is way above KBB--Take it from one who knows, you SHOULD switch to Geico).

So with the money, we took the opportunity to get a european car, and the ML was a good deal at the time (used but never titled, etc).. Very little research went into it, I have to confess.. I think we got the ML 3-4 days after the car accident. I did give it a test drive, and I do have a friend who used to own an 01 and seemed to like it well enough.

BUT now, only a few months later, I've gotten over the paranoia/phobia caused by the accident.. And the ML just isn't the right fit for me. I never haul anything around, nor go off-roading or anything like that. I use it as a daily driver to and from school, and I just would rather drive a more quiet/smooth car.

I took the C230 and Volvo S40 for drives and liked the C230 a LOT more. I'm not locked into the C230 by any means, but it is the leading candidate right now.. Any other cars you guys recommend in similar price range?

Last edited by barkbark; 09-14-2004 at 06:01 AM.
Old 09-14-2004, 09:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
where are you located?
Old 09-14-2004, 11:29 AM

I have to agree with ahopeter on this one. The 230 is SOOOOOO SLLLOOOOOWWWW! Ever watch the movie office space? The elderly on walkers with pass you by in this thing.

As for the ML you have. This is a perfect example of what NOT to do when buying a car emotionally. Definately an impulse buy of the greatest example.

But we are not here to beat you for an impulse buy, we are trying to figure out what would be best for you. If you have a family or will haul a bunch of crap around, then I suggest keeping the ML and give it some time to grow on you. I have my ML that we originally bought with the thought of having kids in the future (we have chickened out since) but ALSO and why I am glad we have it....frequent trips to Lowe's. Being new homeowners, this past 2 years with the ML has been great. Do I miss driving cars? Of course, but we have 2 other cars (which will be kept nameless) which satisfy my need for speed. Oddly enough, I thoroughly enjoy getting back in the ML. If you do not want to wait and see if it will grow on you, and if MB is the way you want to go, then pay a visit to your dealer, explain the siuation and work on a trade there. They will usually give you more for a MB at a MB dealer when you are "trading-up". I would buy a certified used car that has AT LEAST the 320 motor in it (C320, E320) that is as close to what you can afford.

Sorry for the drawn out response, but the point you need to understand (and I think you obviously have learned it by now) is not to buy a car under an emotional situaiton.

Good luck and let us know what happens.
Old 09-14-2004, 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by barkbark
well to be honest, the ML was an impulse buy of sorts.

i'd gotten in a fairly scary car accident and wanted a big car/suv as my next. I surprisingly got a VERY good deal from the insurance company for the car (declared totalled.. 2002 Toyota Celica around 20k miles; they wrote me a check for a little over $19,000, which is way above KBB--Take it from one who knows, you SHOULD switch to Geico).

So with the money, we took the opportunity to get a european car, and the ML was a good deal at the time (used but never titled, etc).. Very little research went into it, I have to confess.. I think we got the ML 3-4 days after the car accident. I did give it a test drive, and I do have a friend who used to own an 01 and seemed to like it well enough.

BUT now, only a few months later, I've gotten over the paranoia/phobia caused by the accident.. And the ML just isn't the right fit for me. I never haul anything around, nor go off-roading or anything like that. I use it as a daily driver to and from school, and I just would rather drive a more quiet/smooth car.

I took the C230 and Volvo S40 for drives and liked the C230 a LOT more. I'm not locked into the C230 by any means, but it is the leading candidate right now.. Any other cars you guys recommend in similar price range?
okay, this puts it all into perspective. sell it then. i just traded in my 2000 320 cause the same reason... it just didnt fit me. simple, if you dont like it, dump it.
Old 09-14-2004, 03:41 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by LVDell
If you have a family or will haul a bunch of crap around, then I suggest keeping the ML and give it some time to grow on you. I have my ML that we originally bought with the thought of having kids in the future (we have chickened out since) but ALSO and why I am glad we have it....frequent trips to Lowe's.
Yeah I definitely regret the purchase if only because I haven't really enjoyed the car. It does prove to be useful when we go on trips. But I'm nowhere near a family of my own since I'm only 19..

I'll definitely look into a 320 of some kind, though the price is a little prohibitive for me, and it kind of complicates things since the only MB dealer in town is the one I got the ML from (probably unlikely to take the car's trade-in for too much?)

We'll see though, thanks for the heads up I might just keep the ML around anyway and get a car next year or something.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:44 PM

'02 ML320, '82 380SL
FWIW, my brother just bought (privately) a March '03 320 with 16k for $28k. Since your vehicle recently came from the dealer with whom you would be trading, the same sales rep might try to work with you on a new or Starmarked vehicle. I would think MB would be quite motivated to sell or lease a C. Can't hurt to try. Good luck.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:48 PM

especially since their lease push right now is for the ML and C. Check out their website. (mbusa.com)