M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Engine Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 03:17 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Oil Leak

Thought I'd ask first, before I took it in!

I have an oil leak on the right hand, lower front of the engine. It gets on the Alternator as well. I've checked the drain plug.

I'm not sure about the rubber piece where the dipstick tube fits in, or a electrical sensor of some kind sitting in that area.

It's happened before......seemed to have cleared up.....and now it's back again.

Anyone with a similar experience? Please let me know what it might be and a solution.

Thanks!
Old 11-23-2004, 12:55 AM
Almost a Member!

So I finally took it in to the dealer and found out, it's the seal on the timing chain tensioner. Get's fixed in a couple of days!
Old 11-23-2004, 03:07 AM

1999 ML430
I have noticed that my engine oil is leaking from around the Torx bolts themselves. I attempted to reseal the oil pan, however the oil pump assy sticks down so far into the pan, that I was unable to remove the oil pan because the crossmember or whatever it's called was right below the oil pan.

All I could do was slide it around back and forth to apply the sealant, and was never actually able to take it out and set it on the workbench. I can't believe they don't use a gasket of either rubber or cork. In my attempt to reseal it, I still have maybe 3 bolts that still leak, but it's a lot better than it was!
Old 11-23-2004, 06:54 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
Oil pans suck. You have to raise the engine up off the mounts, and then
slide the pan out of the front. Its no fun. Many cars require the oil pump be removed, or subframe dropped. You have a distinct advantage in that its not at all hard to pull the front differential out.
Sealing surfaces MUST BE ABSOLUTELY 100% clean or IT WILL LEAK. NO gasket residue, no oil, nothing. \
when reinstalling the pan, often you will accidently scrape the back of the pan on something and smear the sealant off. Again this job sucks. And then there is the oil that is constantly running down all over you. Did I mention this job sucks yet???
Old 11-24-2004, 03:58 PM

SL500 E320 ML350
Saturnstyl, sounds like that pan is not one of your favorite jobs...or did I misinterpret your post?
Old 11-24-2004, 05:53 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
Not one of my favorites would be an understatement..... :v
The only one that looks even remotely easy is on a G-500. And they never leak.... In the real world the 113 and 112 motors never really leak anyways. Its usually a result of the harmonic balancer eating the oil pan causing the leak, or a botched reseal of the pan when that happened previously.
I am glad I rarely have to do oil pans anymore.
Old 11-27-2004, 09:57 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by drummerboy
So I finally took it in to the dealer and found out, it's the seal on the timing chain tensioner. Get's fixed in a couple of days!
Just an update!...Job's done, I just got to clean of the dirty oil residue underneath and keep an eye on it.

Thanks everyone!
Old 02-02-2006, 09:43 AM

may i know how much was the labor and the parts, and what part was replaced? thanks.