M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Test drove ML and Touareg

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'07 Porsche 997TT
Test drove ML and Touareg

As I posted before, my wife is looking for a new car (actually I'm looking for her, and I want her to get what I like LOL). Anyway I called my salesguy because I know he drives an ML 350 SE. My wife had mentioned that she wanted to go back to a V8, but I had heard that the MB 6 was pretty good. So I went and picked up my guy's truck and ran a few errands with it. I thought it had plenty of pickup, and i'm used to my car. I take it home and let my wife go drive it for a few minutes. She comes back and I say "what do you think"? "not enough power. I want an 8" I couldn't believe it! I'll be going back tomorrow to drive the ML 500. I don't want the new ML as I've experienced first hand the "joys" of new MB's.

So on saturday I went to drive the t-reg. They had a V8 and took it for a spin. Boy, I know it had some problems when it first came out (just like the ML), but man is that thing nice. The fit/finish and materials is beautiful. Rode great, very quick. The car was loaded with just about every package and stickered for a hair over 53K. The base V8 starts at around 44K. You get a lot with it to. This particluar dealer offered $1,500 off sticker. After I stopped laughing I left. Did some internet checking and found deals for around $500 over invoice. Another local dealer has offered $3K under sticker.

The biggest thing the ML has going for it is my relationship with the dealer. That's something I definitely need to consider.
Old 11-15-2004, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
T-Reg is smaller inside, dash looks to me like that of a 56 DeSoto. However, fit and finish are excellent as is ride and handling. They are being given away as most all dealers have what is close to a years supply at the current sales rate. There have also beel and still are lots of problems with the vehicle including but not limited to electrical and fires. They have taken back a substancial number of them as has Porche. Why not go with a larger, proven vehicle that has benefitted of being on the market and maturing since 1998. You want to be a test pilot??
Old 11-15-2004, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S4
Originally Posted by cte430
As I posted before, my wife is looking for a new car (actually I'm looking for her, and I want her to get what I like LOL). Anyway I called my salesguy because I know he drives an ML 350 SE. My wife had mentioned that she wanted to go back to a V8, but I had heard that the MB 6 was pretty good. So I went and picked up my guy's truck and ran a few errands with it. I thought it had plenty of pickup, and i'm used to my car. I take it home and let my wife go drive it for a few minutes. She comes back and I say "what do you think"? "not enough power. I want an 8" I couldn't believe it! I'll be going back tomorrow to drive the ML 500. I don't want the new ML as I've experienced first hand the "joys" of new MB's.

So on saturday I went to drive the t-reg. They had a V8 and took it for a spin. Boy, I know it had some problems when it first came out (just like the ML), but man is that thing nice. The fit/finish and materials is beautiful. Rode great, very quick. The car was loaded with just about every package and stickered for a hair over 53K. The base V8 starts at around 44K. You get a lot with it to. This particluar dealer offered $1,500 off sticker. After I stopped laughing I left. Did some internet checking and found deals for around $500 over invoice. Another local dealer has offered $3K under sticker.

The biggest thing the ML has going for it is my relationship with the dealer. That's something I definitely need to consider.
I told you you would be impressed with the touareg its such a nice car...

the ML has been probably the least reliable car mercedes ever produced...Top Gear ranked it last place (142nd out of a survey of 142 cars) in a general comparison test. It is 6 year old chassis and the new one comes out soon!
Old 11-15-2004, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
if u could get an insane deal on an 04 or 05 ML500 id get that, otherwise get the T-reg.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
Originally Posted by AlBoston
if u could get an insane deal on an 04 or 05 ML500 id get that, otherwise get the T-reg.
Hey Ali. One dealer today told me they had an '04 that they would go 10K off sticker. I'm concerned about some of the issues that the '04's had. Even if my MB dealer wanted to not make any money, it probably only means 3K-3.5K off sticker. Still gotta convince my wife to get either
Old 11-15-2004, 10:16 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by moa4r
I told you you would be impressed with the touareg its such a nice car...

the ML has been probably the least reliable car mercedes ever produced...Top Gear ranked it last place (142nd out of a survey of 142 cars) in a general comparison test. It is 6 year old chassis and the new one comes out soon!
I wouldn't hesitate to say that the older ML's are unreliable, but a '03 and up ML is 100% reliable. They simply do not have the problems of the older models anymore. Feel confident if you get a newer model that it will be OK for the long haul!
Old 11-16-2004, 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML320
Originally Posted by cte430
Hey Ali. One dealer today told me they had an '04 that they would go 10K off sticker. I'm concerned about some of the issues that the '04's had. Even if my MB dealer wanted to not make any money, it probably only means 3K-3.5K off sticker. Still gotta convince my wife to get either
Well there aren't any particular issues in the '04's that are gone in the '05's, so...

The ML has been pretty good from model year '02-up.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:36 AM

School bus
as nice as the Toureg is, it's a VW is a VW is a VW is a VW. Wait till you experience their after sales service, very "cattle" like. If you are going to pay all that dough, get something with some bling bling image to it!
Old 11-17-2004, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Chris,
get the 04!!! you get scheduled maintenance on it! Just make sure it has factory bi-xenons or you will probably regret it... Costs way more to retrofit and its a PITA on the 02+.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S4
Originally Posted by deltadude388
as nice as the Toureg is, it's a VW is a VW is a VW is a VW. Wait till you experience their after sales service, very "cattle" like. If you are going to pay all that dough, get something with some bling bling image to it!
exactly what makes the touareg nice IMO...not flashy but still nice as sh*t w/more capabilities and options than the outdated ML
Old 11-17-2004, 12:03 PM

School bus
Originally Posted by moa4r
exactly what makes the touareg nice IMO...not flashy but still nice as sh*t w/more capabilities and options than the outdated ML
Try having a VW service come pick you up when yr car is done servicing. not likely gonna happen. When I spend that kind of coins, I like some service in life.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
Originally Posted by deltadude388
Try having a VW service come pick you up when yr car is done servicing. not likely gonna happen. When I spend that kind of coins, I like some service in life.
That was definintely a consideration. On more than instance i've called my dealer: "Can you get me in today"? Yes. "Can you drive me back home and come back to get me to get the car"? Yes. That counts for something.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:08 PM

I recently had the "ultimate" test drive of a ML350SE. I had gotten a ML350SE loaner from the dealer for an extended period of time...long enough to know that I need an SUV.

I got it with 2300 miles (returned it with 3500) and took it on two long trips. This thing is great on room (compared to my C32). With two kids and the wife, it handles luggage and has room to spare.

What a terrible ride. It rides like the 2000 Chevy Silverado Pickup work truck we have. BMW X5s ride better in my opinion.

Check engine light came on yesterday. Wonder what that is all about.

Acceleration isn't great, considering the larger motor. Must be the excessive weight of the ML size.

What a gas guzzler. 16 mpg AVERAGE on a 400 mile trip on the highway! Not what I expected with a V6.

At around $44k sticker, this is an expensive vehicle for what you get. Same reason I have not considered a BMW X5. I'd be considering the Acura MDX or Lexus RX330 in the same breath. If I wanted to save another $10k, I'll consider a Honda Pilot.

FWIW.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:37 PM

I beleive the ride quality is far superior to the silverado pickup mentioned. I owned one. I also owned a GMC sierra Denali, and again, the ML trounces it in ride and handling.
Fuel mileage should have been better, but not drastically better. The driving habits of an AMG owner are always questionable....
You cannot even compare a honda to a Mercedes. One is an appliance, the other is an automobile.
Old 11-23-2004, 05:10 PM

I just picked up my completely loaded 05 500 Special Edition and MAN is it sweet! I got it for dealer invoice. Another dealer (further away) offered it for even less (there's a dealer holdback or whatever that allows them to do this at a modest profit) but my dealer will pick up the car for service, and bring it back when done. They'll even leave a loaner if I need... No regrets. I tested the T-reg and while nice in many ways the many many widely experienced problems and much higher price scared me away.

TM
Old 11-23-2004, 05:46 PM
Almost a Member!

Get an ml430, You'l be really happy : )
Old 12-30-2004, 02:15 PM

Actually you should test drive a Land Rover LR3. That thing has a 300hp V8 and is has a nice combination of luxury and one of the most sotisficated AWD system plus it seats 7 adults!
Old 12-30-2004, 06:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
Originally Posted by saturnstyl
I wouldn't hesitate to say that the older ML's are unreliable, but a '03 and up ML is 100% reliable. They simply do not have the problems of the older models anymore. Feel confident if you get a newer model that it will be OK for the long haul!
Yeah right!!! 100% reliable? I think you've snuffed too much ML exhaust at work. They are definitely better, way less problematic but I wouldn't say 100%. I think the mechanical issues are much less. Unfortunately, the cosmetic issues are still there. For example, my 500 still has that peeling on the window trim and the brake squeal. These are problems that have surfaced since forever.

In any case, I think CTE430 should definitely go for the 04ML (if it's a 500). Like Al said, he'll get the free maintenance and like Sosh added, proven!!!
Old 12-30-2004, 06:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
You can get some really good deals on 05 ML500s now. However, I'd seriously consider the 04 with $10K off. There's practically no difference between the 04 and the 05, except that with the 04, you get 4yrs/50K free maintenance. With the 05, you don't get that. What you get is 1-3K free maintenance, and then you pay for service every 13K/1yr. Get the 04 if it meets your wife's power demands. BTW, I agree with her on the power thing - no substitute for a V8!!!
Old 12-30-2004, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Darkmann
Yeah right!!! 100% reliable? I think you've snuffed too much ML exhaust at work. They are definitely better, way less problematic but I wouldn't say 100%. I think the mechanical issues are much less. Unfortunately, the cosmetic issues are still there. For example, my 500 still has that peeling on the window trim and the brake squeal. These are problems that have surfaced since forever.

In any case, I think CTE430 should definitely go for the 04ML (if it's a 500). Like Al said, he'll get the free maintenance and like Sosh added, proven!!!
If those are the worst problems you ever encounter with your vehicle, and you still aren't satisfied, get a pair of roller skates.