M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

driver seat loose

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
driver seat loose

my 04 500 the driver seat is loose, but they are trying to tell me its normal on the newer mls... went i shift my weight forward, i can feel it shift forward and back. my other mls never did this... can anyone please confirm it? thanks
Old 11-18-2004, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500 E320 ML350
You are getting a line of BS! Loose seats are never normal...give me a break!!
Old 11-18-2004, 06:02 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
Seats are difficult to fix, particularly to fix to someone's preference. The technician might be a 400 pounder, or he might weigh 90 pounds sopping wet. Everybodys sits and adjusts their seat a little differently, so it is very likely he simply cannot duplicate a problem. A description of "loose" is not helpful at all to a technician. Showing exactly what your perception of the problem is will help things along greatly. Advisors tend to write poor descriptions also so make sure you demonstrate to the technician.
It is not common to have a seat problem with an M-class.
Old 11-18-2004, 08:17 PM
GGM

2008 E350
Originally Posted by pointman
my 04 500 the driver seat is loose, but they are trying to tell me its normal on the newer mls... went i shift my weight forward, i can feel it shift forward and back. my other mls never did this... can anyone please confirm it? thanks
After adjusting the seat on my '03 C240 I have noticed something similar. I used to keep the seat adjusted to its lowest position but I adjusted the pitch of the front of the seat upwards with the dial and now I get up/down play on the front of the seat bottom. If I bring the pitch all the way down, the play goes away. Guess I'll just add it to the list for the next service.

GGM
Old 11-18-2004, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by saturnstyl
Seats are difficult to fix, particularly to fix to someone's preference. The technician might be a 400 pounder, or he might weigh 90 pounds sopping wet. Everybodys sits and adjusts their seat a little differently, so it is very likely he simply cannot duplicate a problem. A description of "loose" is not helpful at all to a technician. Showing exactly what your perception of the problem is will help things along greatly. Advisors tend to write poor descriptions also so make sure you demonstrate to the technician.
It is not common to have a seat problem with an M-class.
tech had no problem finding the same issue... they said all newer mls are like that.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:35 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML320
It is not normal, I had the same exact problem, and at first I got the same BS you did, I told the service department to write that on a piece of paper saying they checked a loose seat which is "normal", all the sudden they had a solution and it was fixed in no time...........there is no such thing as a normal loose seat IMHO............

Good luck
Old 11-19-2004, 12:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 ML430
Originally Posted by VTBenZO
It is not normal, I had the same exact problem, and at first I got the same BS you did, I told the service department to write that on a piece of paper saying they checked a loose seat which is "normal", all the sudden they had a solution and it was fixed in no time...........there is no such thing as a normal loose seat IMHO............

Good luck
I agree... It seems to me like some of These MB service departments think their customers are idiots... because they(The Dealer) do not want to spend the labor to fix minor warranty defects in their mind... They tell the customer that the defect is normal. I bet it you had to pay they would have no problems fixing the seat

Pointman... like VTBenzo says.. get the service manager to put in writing that they checked the loose seat and it is normal.... God forbids you get into an accident and that seat breaks free... You can sue them out of business.
Old 11-19-2004, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

they actually wrote my service paper, "check seat of other ml, same as owners."