M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Groaning/creaking from front suspension

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 08:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Groaning/creaking from front suspension

If I go over a speed bump or part of the vehicle goes up an incline or speed bump the front end lets out a nasty groan. Would these be the torsion bar bushings? Also can i get Genuine MB brake parts in OEM packaging for cheaper? I want the same exact company.

Man, maybe i should just get rid of it lol.
Old 11-27-2004, 08:20 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
Grease torsion bar bushings... No need for replacement. Could also be sway bar bushings, but torsion bars are most likely culprit.
Old 11-27-2004, 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
how should i grease them?
Old 11-27-2004, 10:43 PM

I was afraid you would ask. There is no easy way to do this. Disassemble, grease and then you have to reset the ride height again, which means wheel alignment. You just turn the big bolts for the torsion bars till they come out, making sure the frame is supported on jack stands. Remove the metal plates under the torsion bars and you will see where the bar rides and you have to grease.
Old 11-27-2004, 11:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
LOL! def not a job i can handle.
Old 11-28-2004, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
grease wont work long term. it is a short term remedy but the creaks will return after a short period... perhaps days. i needed full replacement... on every ml ive had... and ive had quite a few.
Old 11-28-2004, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
great!
Old 11-28-2004, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by pointman
grease wont work long term. it is a short term remedy but the creaks will return after a short period... perhaps days. i needed full replacement... on every ml ive had... and ive had quite a few.
Wonder what kind of grease they are using? Our suspension and alignment guy uses some special stuff... I wish I knew what it was, but he has no comebacks with this issue. I do know the stock grease is a white pasty kind that is damn near impossible to wash off!
Old 11-28-2004, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

wish i knew to help out others on what to avoid. never got details... just told i needed to have everything replaced.
Old 11-28-2004, 04:49 PM

Could also be a regional thing... I don't know how cars survive up north anyways. Salt should be banned from use! I HATE working on cars from northern climates. Rust everywhere, parts hanging on by a thread. You would think they would have come up with some alternative by now.
Old 11-28-2004, 11:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

haha, i hear that one. but i hear that the ml's front torsion bars are the only one with real continued issues... i havent heard of other suv's with torsion bars with that sort of issue. oh well.
Old 11-29-2004, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
Originally Posted by saturnstyl
Wonder what kind of grease they are using? Our suspension and alignment guy uses some special stuff... I wish I knew what it was, but he has no comebacks with this issue. I do know the stock grease is a white pasty kind that is damn near impossible to wash off!

Sounds like teflon grease. I have white grease that we use here at work to quiet the plastic parts.
Old 11-29-2004, 01:22 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
2000 ML320 2006 SLK 350
I have a 1995 Nissan Maxima (160K miles)...that has started doing the same..

The groaning just started a week or so back..

but, that's Nissan, not MB....and its 160K miles...almost 10 year old car.

I am in CA by the way, so no snow/salt issues here..

Anyways, thank you guys for this thread...I was just wondering what would the cause of that groaning be...even thought of replacing the front springs/hydraulic shocks, but just a month back, I had the car go through a 30 point inspection, and the shocks were marked as fine, not needing replacements.

So its the greasing on the torsion bars..may be I'll get down the car and see if some external application helps...

A common sense thought..wouldn't something like a high pressure greese gun help in squezzing grease down the joints, without having to dis assemble the torsion bar assembly?

I had gotten away with doing just that on my exercise machine (elipticle) which too started groaning a bit after 5 years of use..

Last edited by mihir_d; 11-29-2004 at 01:58 PM.
Old 11-29-2004, 01:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 ML430
Originally Posted by mihir_d
The groaning just started a week or so back..

but, that's Nissan, not MB....and its 160K miles...almost 10 year old car.

I am in CA by the way, so no snow/salt issues here..

Anyways, thank you guys for this thread...I was just wondering what would the cause of that groaning be...even thought of replacing the front springs/hydrolic shocks, but just a month back, I had the car go through a 30 point inspection, and the shocks were marked as fine, not needing replacements.

So its the greasing on the torsion bars..may be I'll get down the car and see if some external application helps...

A common sense thought..wouldn't something like a high pressure greese gun help in squezzing grease down the joints, without having to dis assemble the torsion bar assembly?

I had gotten away with doing just that on my exercise machine (elipticle) which too started groaning a bit after 5 years of use..
the ball joints on the lower and upper control arm are shot... (worn out) on your Maxima.
Old 11-29-2004, 02:21 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
2000 ML320 2006 SLK 350
Thank you very much..

for the info...its my first time with a suspension problem....I'll look in to the ball joints and consider replacing them..

I can't complain though....10 years/160K miles is a long way to go...I guess, its just a normal aging process...

It seems, it the same ball joints that are responsible for a mild vibration at high speeds...I just got my car aligned a month back...that eliminated the vibration...but in a month it returned, and this time, just before a week before I felt the vibration, I first heard the groaning sound at a speed bump...