M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Running Boards Suggestions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Running Boards Suggestions

All
I have a ML320 /2001 and I am looking for Running Boards ..
Any suggestions for DIY or get it from the Dealer.... lighted \no lights
any body do it before.. associated Costs etc., ??
Please shed light

Thanx
Old 12-09-2004, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
I found that the running boards/steps hit me in the shins when getting into the vehicle and that I really did not need tham as its not a high step to get in. Never had them on either of the ML's I have had.
Old 12-09-2004, 01:23 PM

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts
2014 E350 Estate Wagon 4Matic
Originally Posted by ml320_2001
All
I have a ML320 /2001 and I am looking for Running Boards ..
Any suggestions for DIY or get it from the Dealer.... lighted \no lights
any body do it before.. associated Costs etc., ??
Please shed light

Thanx
I posted a similar thread a while ago regarding running boards for my ML350. Most people reccommended the factory running boards. But I found them unneccessarily expensive, to the tune of about $1500-1800 after labor with no lights. It turns out you need some end caps also if you don't have fender flares.

Then I found a company that custom makes running boards for the ML for under $300 (or an extra $100 if you want them painted to match) and that includes shipping to your door. So I bought them and installed them myself. I'm very happy with them, especially that I saved well over $1000. These are my observations about the aftermarket versions:

1. They're made of fiberglass, not ABS plastic.
2. The paint matched exactly to my silver ML
3. Installation was tricky and required a second person to hold it while drilling.
4. Required a little re-tightening of the screws a coupla weeks after install.
5. Looked a little sportier than factory RBs
6. Had a bunch of extra cash for booze and women (no, no i'm married)

Anyway, I think it's an awsome deal. I got them from www.runningboardwarehouse.com.

hope this helps.
Old 12-09-2004, 05:18 PM

Went to the Dealer.. Price for the tubes black\steel for $649 to install it the tech said 3 and 1/2 hours which the SA equated to $350 total around $1000....
Hecdog.. where do you get the instructions for installation ???

Thanks
Old 12-09-2004, 05:45 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
Go for the step bars opposed to the running boards. The running boards are worthless until the 2002 update. The step bars are a fairly simple DIY job, the running boards are definately not a DIY install. I had to buy $500 of tools to install running boards on 2002 up ML's. You need a really big thread setter to do it properly, and they are damned expensive.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:01 PM

Went to the Dealer.. Price for the tubes black\steel for $649 to install it the tech said 3 and 1/2 hours which the SA equated to $350 total around $1000....
Hecdog.. where do you get the instructions for installation ???

Thanks
I got running boards not the nerf bars--the bars are indeed cheaper, but you'll find them even cheaper as aftermarket items. I like the runningboards better myself, they look more classy than the sporty nerf bars. But I know it's subjective and depends on how you like your ML to look. Personally I don't like any cheap round bars on my ML, not even the brush guard or anything. It's up to you.

As far as installing them, the instructions came with the running boards and it was pretty easy, although tricky. The installation SaturnStyl is talking about is in fact difficult, but that applies only to the factory running boards where, and correct me if i'm wrong, you have to remove the rocker panel to install. These install much easier. No need to remove the rocker. They simple bolt on underneath it and have L brackets to support them and a cross brace to attach them to the chassis of the car. They provide all the hardware, all you need is a good drill and ratchet set. (I highly reccommend an angle drill--90 degrees to make it even easier).

Hope this helps. good luck.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:38 PM

Having never installed a set of running boards on a 2001 myself, I cannot recall if the rocker panel must be removed or not. It is VERY simple on the 2002 and later models, and I imagine similar on the older ones.
Step 1: Grab the rocker panel firmly.
Step 2: Pull really hard.
Step 3: Repeat on other side.

I had to replace the rockers on mine because way back in october '03 when I did the PDI, I put some black step bars on it. I removed all the accessories when I bought it, because I either couldn't afford them or thought they looked stupid. The bars had warped the rockers and after several months they had not straightened out. I put on a new set under warranty :v
I have an extra set of desert silver rockers that are brand new I kept off my last running board job, just in case. I can have them painted should I ever need them.
I know I am rambling but here goes:
Its quite funny, how back in october '03 I accessorized and PDI'd this '04 ML500. I did all the things in my usual manner, and never in a million years would I have thought that the following march I would be driving it home. It had 180 miles or so on it, and then sat for so long the battery had died. I was inquiring about the purchase of one, and nobody even knew we had it on the lot anymore. They did a search of all the dealers online for a silver ML500, and hey wait a minute... there is one on our lot!!! Got the keys, found it, checked it out. To my surprise I had done the PDI and accessories!!!!! It had black step bars, black pinstripes, a sunroof bubble, car cover, sunshade, cargo liner and nets, all weather mats, and a front liscense plate bracket. No worries with this unit then! I jumped it off, and parked it out back. I worked on it over the next week in my spare time, taking off accessories and putting in a new battery. I added a few special touches here and there, and got a free set of all weather mats. I took off the step bars, and installed them on another ML, being careful to swap the underbody shields that had to be cut to install the step bars so you couldn't tell anything had ever been done.
I put the word out for a cd changer, and 2 "fell in to my lap". I installed it, having only to buy a bracket to mount it. I had thrown away the very bracket I had needed a month prior, thinking I would never need it. Cost me $40.00. Over the next few weeks I added the accessories I wanted, including a mercedes DVD rear seat entertainment system, and a cargo area liner. I performed every single update available to that truck also.
Anyhow the moral of the story is always do everything to the best of your ability because someday you might own that vehicle.
Old 12-10-2004, 09:29 AM

Well I dont have a pref whether they are bars or steps..
All I care is they have to help my kid get into the Truck with Ease ... he complains too much these days while getting in and out. saying it is too high for him..
Ofcourse the COST and the DIY matters to me toooo..
Thanks for all you suggestions..
Old 12-10-2004, 02:58 PM

SL500 E320 ML350
Got the '05 ML350 Special Edition. It comes with the running boards. They seem to be not needed by most adults (wife included). They do cause you to step further away from the vehicle when exiting or else you will bang your shins. Not sure I would add them but in my case they came with the package.
Old 12-10-2004, 06:56 PM

I like installing running boards, but I don't like how they look or function. I believe they are a detriment to your off road abilty.
Old 12-10-2004, 07:07 PM

The aftermarket versions are shallower than the factory ones so I've never had a problem with them and my shins. I must add that I hardly use them, but its great for my 2 and 3 year olds--they just climb in on their own. Now if they could just feed and change themselves, that'd be great! Anyone know of running boards that'll do that?

Old 12-11-2004, 05:13 PM
DrX

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2002 ML320, 2003 A160
Well I dont have a pref whether they are bars or steps..
All I care is they have to help my kid get into the Truck with Ease ... he complains too much these days while getting in and out. saying it is too high for him..
I bought a 2002 ML320 with running boards back in April. A fortnight ago, my 2 1/2 year old daughter learned how to climb into her carseat from the ground without any assistance. All I had to do was show her where to grab on. Now I just have to open the door, she gets in, and I do up her harness. Last week I taught her how to get down all by herself.

That was the reason I chose one with running boards. It's a milestone for her, and it's going to save my back.

They're also good for doing up your shoes, e.g. after you've been to the beach.

Only downside is reduced ground clearance. They're not an off-road accessory. I can still drive up a median strip if I approach at an acute angle.