M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Mercedes Needs To Wake Up!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 05:56 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 ML 500
Mercedes Needs To Wake Up!

Good Evening...

It's been awhile since I've posted, because I've just been a very disgusted ML 500 owner since September of 03 (2003 model). As mentioned previous times on these boards, the ML500 has known brake issues. As an example, I've been through 4 sets of pads and rotors in just 10K miles. Each time I bring it back to the dealership, they tell me that Mercedes has known about this problem for a very long time and has done nothing about it. They went on to say that they've been instructed by Mercedes to replace the front and rear brake pads and rotors for any ML500 owner who complains of squealing brakes? This is Mercedes solution to fixing a defect in an automobile they manufacture? This seems absurd to me. Apparently, Mercedes thinks I have nothing better to do than to drop my ML500 off once a month at the dealership for new brakes!

I did read a recent post that apparently Mercedes has new pads that just came out last week. The service manager at the dealership I bring the ML to hasn't confirmed any fix exists as of yet when I spoke to him yesterday. I hope that it's true that Mercedes has finally fixed this problem. Even if it is true, Mercedes should really get a clue if this is how they treat a problem that everyone seems to be aware of. The service manager told me that he talks to at least 20 disgruntled ML500 owners each week about this same issue.

In closing, I will say that I was very strongly considering purchasing an SL500 but have reconsidered. And yes, I am well aware that it is a VERY different vehicle and doesn't have the same known problems with the brakes. Having said that, I have a real issue with any auto manufacturer who produces a vehicle (that they're not exactly giving away) that has a known problem and almost seems arrogant about fixing the problem.

John from Boston
Old 12-23-2004, 06:05 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
I guess you have a problem with EVERY vehicle manufacturer then. Some are worse than others, but they all play the game.
It takes a while to find out about a problem, develop a potential solution, test this solution, then find suppliers and get the upgraded components available. The ML is made here in the USA, and I am sure the aquisition of suppliers and development of upgraded components takes a much different route than for cars built in the home country of germany.
Service managers are often NOT on top of things, and the line about "20 disgruntled owners a week" is likely B.S. because they simply did NOT sell that many ML500s.
Updated front brake pads will be available soon to address the brake squeal issue. A DTB was sent out recently regarding this issue.
Old 12-24-2004, 12:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
A problem to one may be Normal to another!!!!!

Originally Posted by Enigma869
Good Evening...
...In closing, I will say that I was very strongly considering purchasing an SL500 but have reconsidered. And yes, I am well aware that it is a VERY different vehicle and doesn't have the same known problems with the brakes. Having said that, I have a real issue with any auto manufacturer who produces a vehicle (that they're not exactly giving away) that has a known problem and almost seems arrogant about fixing the problem.

John from Boston

What's up John? Good to hear from you again and I hope you have a merry X-mas and happy new year.

Yes, it's highly unusual to have the brakes serviced at the frequency you described and I do believe you're sincerely frustrated. However, one thing you have to understand is that one can buy any car and totaly destroy the brakes in a few thousand miles. To MB, it's normal operation becasue they have chosen to use extremely soft pads for whatever reason (the environment being at the top). I don't quite agree to put the blame on MB for this, though I think MB should find more long lasting pads. As long as MBUSA is willing to replace the pads/rotors on their time/charge, why worry??? Yes, you don't like this logic, but, think about this: how do we know that most people who complain about these brakes don't just abuse them??? My E430 went almost 40K in city driving b4 front pad replacement, rears are fine at nearly 50K and I do drive hard, my 02 ML320 went 49K and the pads are still good - I barely drive the thing in the city, MY05 500 is at 800 miles and the rotors are squealing and I'm just breaking it in!!!! So as you can tell, it's extremely difficult to trash all MB vehicles because of this one issue. The record sales of the ML is not because customers were totally happy with these trucks; it was because they were just damn satisfied with the performance/dollar that that these MLs are offering. My understanding is that MB has a new set of brake pads (just released several weeks ago) that's supposed to solve this proble. Take your's in, get a loaner and get on your way. If you reconsider the purchase of any MB vehicle, believe me, you loose out of the fun, not MB. MB engineers some of the best vehicles out there, and a brake squeal is the last thing that'll stop me from driving them, especially if it's fixed under warranty and I have a loaner to continue my day, problem free. Heck, my dealer will even drive to my home to pick up my truck and drop off the loaner. What's the problem???
Old 12-24-2004, 08:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
lets make it simple for everyone... sell the ml and move on. bye.
Old 12-25-2004, 08:08 AM
Almost a Member!

2003 ML 500
Hey Darkmann...

You're absolutely correct in that as long as MB is willing to fix the problem, it's not a huge deal. Having said that, it's simply frustrating to keep bringing your vehicle in for the same problem over and over again. That frustration is compounded when I have a service manager telling me that Mercedes is well aware of this problem for over a year, and according to him, has chosen to do nothing to address the issue. I am calling the dealership Monday to find out if the new pads are in and if they are, off to the dealership I go...again!

As for the others on these forums who get ticked off if anyone dare say anything less than flattering about Mercedes, get over yourself. I spent my 50+K and if I have an issue with faulty brakes, I'll say what I want about it. As I've said on these boards in the past, I am a HUGE MB fan...always have been. That doesn't mean I'm going to genuflect at the MB altar and say everything they do is perfect. The reality is that the ML has come a long way since its inception in 1998 (I've been told by numerous people that the 98 and 99 versions of the ML were pretty poorly constructed). It's my hope that they perfect the vehicle further, so we're all happy with our purchase.

Finally, to pointman...In terms of selling the ML, that's precisely what I'll do if MB doesn't resolve the brake issue, once and for all. It's my hope that I won't be forced to unload a vehicle for this reason, but time will tell. Enjoy your holiday.

John from Boston
Old 12-25-2004, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

a car that can't do the throttle reset.
if you dont like a car, i think the most reasonable thing to do is get rid of it, no?
Old 12-25-2004, 09:00 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
I traded my last vehicle, an '03 GMC sierra denali with only 5500 miles on it because it gave me too much crap for the amount of money it cost.
Old 12-27-2004, 11:48 AM

2005 ML 350
Hi Guys,

we have the same squealing problem to,

and it is still brand new,

it just have 6xx miles on the cars,

and it is 05 ml 350,

so you couldn't complain when there other people that has this problem when there ml is brand new and not even at the 1,000 mile mark,
Old 12-27-2004, 05:16 PM

Is the squealing more from the front or the back ? Mine is squealing bloody murder from the back every time I hit the brake. One good thing about this is that it gives me plenty of time to hang up the phone with the girlfriend before the wife walks thru the front door.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
Originally Posted by Amfung
Is the squealing more from the front or the back ? Mine is squealing bloody murder from the back every time I hit the brake. One good thing about this is that it gives me plenty of time to hang up the phone with the girlfriend before the wife walks thru the front door.

You're one sick dude Amfung You prefer the squeal of the ML brakes to that of your girlfriend??? What's wrong with you? In all honesty though, be careful running around. You never know when Cheaters will be trailing your ML!!
Old 12-28-2004, 06:14 AM
Vos
Almost a Member!

ML430 (used to, now X5 4.4.i)
In '01 I wanted to replace my '95 Jeep GC but I rejected the JEEP GC HO since the brakes on it, and on the '95 I was then replacing, were substandard. You get 25-30k mls on a set of pads but that is cause US SUVs have poor braking capacity.

The ML brakes are sized for Autobahn driving and work quite well. You have to remember is weighs over 2 tons and it also uses the brakes for the ESP. However, I suspect it often does so marginally without the ESP light coming on in the dash. My warning light seldom comes on, yet the rear pads wear just as quick as the fronts. The only explanation that comes to mind is, that the ESP is exercising the rear brakes. Still I am getting about 15-20 k miles on a set of pads.

For those of you who get excessively low mlg on pads I would say, check your driving style. I notice a lot of people in the US who use the brake pedal as a footrest.... Only touch the pedal when braking and be conscious of your brake use. I.e. brake quickly and decisively, too many drivers seem to put their foot on the brake waaaay before they actaully want to, or have to, slow down.

Another factor is that the original MB pads score the disks quite badly which leads to noise under braking on the relatively large disks (IIRC larger then a Porsche 993 Twin Turbo). At about 40K in '03, I got new disks from Tirerack and original pads (the disks were an afterthought since I noticed the pads first and then discovered the disks were out of spec).

After relatively few miles the disks looked quite badly scored but the noise only came when the pads were getting thinnish.... I changed the pads a few weeks ago after 20k mls. I reworked the disks somewhat by hand and the noise is gone. The current pads (bought at MB in Germany) seem to be less tough on the disks in terms of causing grooves.

I think I read about some aftermarket pads from 3rd pty vendors in the US that behave differently from the MB ones. If I had had the time to test them whilst in the US, I would have done so. I would like to hear from anyone on this board who has used after market pads and what the experience was.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:25 PM

ml430
Question brakes help in boston/andover area?

hi I have just posted a separate thred about my ml430 and brakes....

what should i do about brakes? where should I go to get them installed
or should I get them online then get a reputable mechanice to install them.

only you guess can help me becuase you know the locals.

I wil NOT go to any of the local dealers to put on brakes, pads and rotors.

I am in the andover area
Old 01-29-2005, 06:33 PM
Almost a Member!

2001 ML 430
ML500 brake squeal

It's odd to read so many of you post like you are skeptical that this problem even exists and it is more likely a function of driving style. I have a ’01 430 that has squealed like a stuck pig since I bought it, so it’s no surprise to me to hear 500 owners complain of it. But, I have had so many other small annoyances with the car this one is actually at the bottom of the list. I figured out quick the dealer had no intention of doing anything useful for this problem (“Please sir, go away”). So many things have had to be fixed MB couldn’t have made any money on my transaction. I keep it though, because I like to drive it and feel safe in it.

I am on my 2nd set of rotors now and the characteristics of the squeal changed with the rotor change, but it didn’t go away. That's probably what MB is after for in just changing out the rotors, maybe the'll get lucky and install a good -squeal free- set.

It's probably time for another pad-rotor set, but this time I’ll try the Brembo’s with Rotex (Kevlar pads) in the spring. It can’t be worse.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:50 AM

2003 ML500, 2001 Volvo S40
Hi! I'm in the Air Force and just moved to Hampton, VA not too long ago and am needing to get my brakes done on my 2003 ML 500. Does anyone know of a non-dealer/indie repair shop where i can take my truck in for less than the dealership (they quoted me over $1400 for it)? Thanks for any assistance.