M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

OK, Decision to Buy ML Firm

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-27-2002, 10:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
OK, Decision to Buy ML Firm

Last I posted, my wife & daughter didn't like the looks of the ML, I wanted it (vs the Nissan pathfinder and the X5)! Most of you said the ML was the way to go - especially since I needed the 3rd row seats. So I was about to get a new ML500 (quite expensive, i found out) when over the holiday weekend I saw a 2000 ML430 at a dealer. Don't care much for the silver color but this thing was loaded - new B'Stone Dueler H unidirectional tires they look real good on the 17" rims), front grille with integrated PIAA fogs, tow thingy at rear, premium sound system, factory CD, moon roof, nav system, 3rd row seats, leather, MB Starmakr warranty (1yr/50K miles), clean, scratch free, "invisible" bug deflector, etc, etc. 50K miles and asking $36K. I almost bought it right away but decided to ask you folks first - again!!! What do you think??? What's the difference between the premium CD and the regular Bose in my '01 E430? What's been your reliability experience? What do I have to watch out for at 50K miles - or what do I have to demand that the change/replace at 50K? - I plan to insist on new tranny oil (seems like those 50K miles spent towing a lot), new engine oil, new pads if very worn. Any thing you have on the '00 ML430 will help. In a way, I have managed to convince myself that it's less stressfull dealing with a used ML (which, hopefully has been to the dealer for all problems to be taken care of), than a new 500 with new problems. Throw me your thoughts. What's with the silver color that's so predominant??? Thanks.

Last edited by Darkmann; 05-27-2002 at 10:24 PM.
Old 05-27-2002, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Silver is OK and does not show lots of dirt. While my ML500 is Black Opal my 01 E320 is silver and I find myself not having it washed anywhere as much as the ML.
Old 06-24-2002, 05:03 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

The official racing color for Germany was silver. If you check race history books, you will find that the MBs, BMWs, Porsches, Audis wre all sporting the silver color on the tracks. During these times, nations were sporting different color to make the cars easily recognizable by the fans. Italy is red (Ferraris, Alfas are still predominently produced in red), England has the English Racing Green (remember the lotus F1s of the 60s, the jags of the gentlemen racers, current Bentleys at Le mans or Jag in F1 are still sprting the ERG, etc...) France was blue (Bugattis were french cars, built by a first generation Italian immigrant in Molsheim, France). US cars where white and blue, with stripes.

Interestignly, there has been a red MB racing at the targa florio in the twenties I think. That was done because the italian fans were throwing rocks at the car. By painting the car red, the fans were fooled and figured out too late that it was not an italian car.

MBs look better in silver, are produced in greater quantity in silver, are most often displayed in silver in the brochures. It's almost as if it were not truly an MB, unless it is silver.

In case you wonder, ours are brilliant silver...
Old 06-25-2002, 09:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32 AMG
There's a few things I wish our 2000 ML had that the new ones have:

True climate control

Xenons

automatic headlight control

automatic windshield wipers

electric opening rear quarter windows

rear A/C vents

5 liter V8

integrated fog lights.

We're thinking about trading in maybe next year, but rumor has it that a new SUV will be out 2004.

And I'm dying for a W211 E55
Old 06-26-2002, 10:33 PM
Vos
Almost a Member!

ML430 (used to, now X5 4.4.i)
Do yourself a favor. Leave it in the lot. I have a 2000 ML430 and it is in the shop every weak for something else. The mechanics roundly admit the cart is poorly built. Maybe the 02s are better.

My Grand Cherokee way outperformed this one in terms of reliabilty. Probably I'll switch to an X5 next spring.

Nice ride but too many headaches. Also a but of an expensive example, I paid a few 1000 less for one with 22k miles on it.
Old 06-27-2002, 08:57 AM

C32 AMG
The mechanics roundly admit the cart is poorly built.
We've had one (1) probem in two and half years. Fuel pump started to go out, leading to hesitation. Fixed by dealer. That's it.

Oh, and my wife broke the outside driver's mirror while backing out of the garage. Fixed by dealer under warranty.
Old 06-27-2002, 11:38 AM
Almost a Member!

Fixed by dealer under warranty.
Is that Park Place or Ewing?
Old 06-27-2002, 12:35 PM

SL500
Before buying any used Mercedes I would request to see the full service history. I believe all MB dealers have access to service records so it doesn't matter where the car was serviced.
Old 06-27-2002, 12:48 PM

C32 AMG
tcp_ML500 ---

Park Place. I recommend Nedd Ross as a fair and knowledgable salesman.

I know people who have bought from Ewing (in Plano) and are very happy, but my experience was less than desirable (e.g. my wife said "we will never go back there!")

Park Place has always been great, but it IS a drive from Plano.
(BTW we live in Richardson)
Old 06-27-2002, 02:17 PM
Almost a Member!

Thanks for the info.

Would you recommend a service advisor at Park Place Dallas?

We have a problem with the passenger seat making a lot of noise, and we can't get it fixed.

Thanks.
Old 06-27-2002, 05:02 PM

C32 AMG
Well, I've been using Ronnie Foraker, but the others I have occasionally dealt with have been good, too.
Old 06-27-2002, 10:16 PM
Almost a Member!

jswedberg, thanks for the info.
Old 06-28-2002, 12:26 PM
Vos
Almost a Member!

ML430 (used to, now X5 4.4.i)
Bugs Y2K

Here's the list of repairs in six months chronologically:

CD changer skips (replaced)

Airbag sensor in passenger seat broken (car had to go in twice and came back with no bolt in the belt buckle, bit of a safety concern to say the least. Afterwards they denied the absence of the bolt and said it was only "not tight", came clear off in my wife's hand!!)

Rubber strip from sunroof fell out (known ML problem)

Hose for powersteering popped off radiator while parking to go for dinner. Left me in puddle of oily liquid on a Friday evening(happens at full lock, known ML problem).

Faulty window switch (known ML problem, dealt with at same time as hose)

One mechanic we spoke to declared that MBs "live" in the workshop and ML is the worst example of them all. If anything else goes wrong before the end of the year, this one's toast, and I'll move on to an X5.

Car's full of low quality materails and the workmanship of factory and dealer stink.

Old 07-08-2002, 01:28 PM

Nissan Sentra
Smile

And I thought I was bitter.......

I have noticed drastic improvements in the interiors of the newer ML's though, and as much as it has had the little problems, it rides and handles better than any SUV I've driven past and present including the X5.

And though I hate to admit it, the three pointed star always lets my customers know that I'm doing something right.

Anyways I'm torn between a new ML500 and trying to make an E-class fit my needs.
Old 07-08-2002, 03:23 PM

ML
Originally posted by 99ML430
And I thought I was bitter.......

Anyways I'm torn between a new ML500 and trying to make an E-class fit my needs.
You're sounding like me when I first started this quest. For me, the E-class didn't fit my luggage space needs - 3 kids and my wife and we do quite a bit of road travelling. I love the V8 power but don't appreciate the gas consumption. So I got the ML320 with 3rd row, and optioned it out to fit my needs, put a front bar to differentiate it. And so far, all is well. If you need hauling space, the E is out. Otherwise, it's the next best thing to flying.
Old 07-08-2002, 04:50 PM

Nissan Sentra
Originally posted by Darkmann

You're sounding like me when I first started this quest. For me, the E-class didn't fit my luggage space needs - 3 kids and my wife and we do quite a bit of road travelling. I love the V8 power but don't appreciate the gas consumption. So I got the ML320 with 3rd row, and optioned it out to fit my needs, put a front bar to differentiate it. And so far, all is well. If you need hauling space, the E is out. Otherwise, it's the next best thing to flying.
You are no help at all! LOL We road trip the ML from Phoenix, AZ to Spokane, Wa every summer (3000 miles round trip) and back and forth from LA, San Diego, Vegas frequently as well. I think I'm dreaming if I'm going to make an E-class work.....at least if you have anything to say about it. I have to have the V8 though if I get another ML. Nothing like a merc with a V8. I know that new E is going to be great, but I guess in the end I would rather provide the additional seating space and stowage for the fussiest of the passengers. Did you get an entertainment system, video player? Is that even available?
Old 07-09-2002, 09:05 AM

ML

...I think I'm dreaming if I'm going to make an E-class work.....at least if you have anything to say about it. I have to have the V8 though if I get another ML. Nothing like a merc with a V8. I know that new E is going to be great, but I guess in the end I would rather provide the additional seating space and stowage for the fussiest of the passengers. Did you get an entertainment system, video player? Is that even available?
Yep, you sure are dreaming!!! Oh, I just recalled, if you travel lite you're OK. Better yet, have your stuff shipped UPS ahead of time and that'll take care of it - LOL. Anyway, the new E has more trunk space but, still will not do. I agree with you - my next ML, will not be a V6. Even if the V6 has 250HP, there is something just snarling with V8 power. Yes, the VCP is available, upgradable to a DVD unit. No, I didn't get the VCP 'cause I'd already purchased a portable unit for the truck I traded for the ML. I tell you though, at only 500 miles, the 3rd row seats have already proved their worth - my 9yr old has claimed that rear spot and the two younger ones now have a good distance between them - nothing like long distance fights!!! Happy driving!!
Old 07-09-2002, 07:57 PM

Nissan Sentra
Well the good news is that the ML is a good 10K cheaper but the resale to date has bee horrible. I may actually have to keep it till I can kill it. The V6 actually retains value better than the V8.
Old 07-09-2002, 09:39 PM

ML
... I may actually have to keep it till I can kill it. The V6 actually retains value better than the V8.
Kill what? Are you kidding? The body will fall apart before you kill an ML. Your child's second daughter will grow grey hairs before the ML dies. No, man, if you can afford it, don't keep the 99ML. The '01/02 is a much better vehicle. And what the *&^% are you talking about low resale value. You know that when I was searching for my ML, I said to myself "I'll never buy new" (except for my wife's E430, last summer). I wanted the ML430 with 3rd row. Rare but I found some. Hilton Head Island, SC: 99ML430, loaded with 3rd row, tow hitch, 51K miles asking $36K, Annapolis, MD, '01ML430 Sport, loaded as loaded can be including VCP, 51K miles!!!, $37K. And there were others, all MB Starmark vehicles. There was no way I was going to spend that much for such high mileage when I could get a new ML320 for same price (BTW, that was same conclusion I came to with the e430 - used was as expensive as new, on a monthly cost basis). That's one of the reasons I got the 320, and I think that's one main reason the 6's retain more value than the 8's. Also, the 6's are ULEV and people THINK that the 8's are driven harder. Anyway, how's the family?

Last edited by Darkmann; 07-09-2002 at 09:45 PM.
Old 07-10-2002, 01:52 PM

Nissan Sentra
The asking price of starmarked vehicles on a Mercedes lot is much different than the actual retail/wholesale value. Mercedes-Benz and their dealers have an obvious interest in maintaining residual/resale value, but you could easily find a loaded 99' ML430 with 36-48K miles for 25-26K. My Residual is 28.5K 9 mos from now. The dealer told me flat out to ride out my lease. I had wanted to trade out sometime late summer early fall when the 03's hit.

I have had no major problems with the drivetrain, the ecu for the tranny was upgraded (wink wink) But the rest of the truck has been dissapointing. Lots of squeaks, malfunctioning sensors, bad window regulators, broken sunroof, ad nauseum. These and other issues are well known and has lead to the miserable resale particularly the 98 320 and 99 430.

In the end, I cannot think of a safer and longer lasting car for the money. The interior looks near new after three plus years of serious abuse at the hands of my three children. It has been a joy to drive and has never left me stranded, well dead battery but roadside hooked me up in about thirty minutes. I do sincerely believe that MB made the necessary effort to improve the car. I have made full use of the ESP and traction devices and am fully confident the truck would hold up extremely well in a collision. When you consider the ML is competively priced with the Escalade/Denali/Navigator crowd, it really looks like a bargain. A comparably equipped X5 is 10K more and smaller.

Kids are awesome, taking swimming lessons and helping out around the house, well ya know, kinda helping around the house. We live in Phoenix so we are in the middle of our "winter". Thanks for asking.
Old 07-10-2002, 09:23 PM

ML
That's really good commentary on MB's approach to this market. I agree that they really have a bargain im the ML's. If you'd posted the info on resale before I got mine, I'd have done some serious thinking. I only looked at starmarked vehicles because of the history of poor quality with the M class. I'm however glad I got a new one because with it comes all the goodies. Anyway, enjoy the beautiful Phoenix outdoors. Spent a week there once a couple of years ago with my three kids and wife and we had a blast.