M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Is a "B service" worth it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 12:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL55 AMG
Is a "B service" worth it?

Hi guys,

So i have a 2000 ML430 that is out of warranty and has about 70,000 miles on it. Usual B service is carried out at 65k miles which I didn't have done (had to buy an engagement ring []). THe FSS recently went negative (now showing -700), and I'm wondering if the B service is worth it to get done. I understand that it's pretty expensive (~$1300 US? not including the "necessary repairs" that the stealer is going to claim it needs), and I'd like to hear your feedback as to if it's worth it.

I've recently had the brakes replaced (pads+rotors) to Porterfields, and I have replaced the dust filter in the cabin.

Thanks!

riz

BTW, if you live in northern VA, which stealership do you take your truck to? MB of Alexandria, or American Service Center?
Old 12-30-2004, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
really, services are just oil changes and checking over parts of the car. I believe B is the minor service, if I remember correctly. Probably be about $200-$250 for "B" service at the dealer. If you can find a independent MB mechanic, that'd probably be cheaper. But you should definitely at least get the oil changed out and reset the FSS indicator yourself (explained in the manual).
Old 12-30-2004, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL500
Originally Posted by GDawgC220
I believe B is the minor service, if I remember correctly.
A is the minor sevice and B is the major service, heres the breakdown:

Flexible Service System - A-Service
- Change your vehicle's engine oil and filter
- Replace the dust filter in all SLK, CLK, C-Class and E-Class models
- Ensure the warning and indicator lamps, horn, windshield/headlamp
wiper and washer systems, and seat belts are functioning correctly
- Inspect tires and check tire pressure (including spare)
- Inspect brake pad thickness and disc condition
- Check and correct all fluid levels
- Reset your vehicle's FSS counter
*Model year 1998 through 2004 vehicles are equipped with the Flexible Service System (FSS)

Flexible Service System - B-Service
- Change your vehicle's engine oil and filter
- Replace the dust filter in all SLK, CLK, C-Class and E-Class models,
and in S-Class and SL-Class models without the active charcoal filter
- Replace windshield wiper inserts
- Inspect and rotate tires
- Lubricate and inspect throttle linkage
- Ensure the parking brake, steering play, headlamps and exterior lamps,
warning and indicator lamps, horn, windshield/headlamp wiper and washer
systems, seat belts, and backrest lock (S-Class only) are functioning correctly
- Inspect tires and check tire pressure (including spare)
- Inspect brake pad thickness and disc condition
- Inspect front axle ball joints and Poly-V-belt
- Check and correct all fluid levels
- Reset your vehicle's FSS counter
*Model year 1998 through 2004 vehicles are equipped with the Flexible Service System (FSS)

For Model Year 2005 vehicles
The Mercedes-Benz Maintenance Plan makes caring for your 2005 Mercedes easier than ever. The service intervals are fixed and predictable - every 13,000 miles or one year for most vehicles.2 Your car will even remind you - about one month before it's due.

Your dealer provides a Service Welcome that includes a first visit (between 1,000 and 3,000 miles) and your first tire rotation (before 6,500 miles) at no charge.
Old 12-30-2004, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 E320 Sedan
Exclamation

How do u reset the FSS on E320 yr=2000? It does not say a thing about it in my operator manual.
Old 12-30-2004, 06:43 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rizwan
Hi guys,

So i have a 2000 ML430 that is out of warranty and has about 70,000 miles on it. Usual B service is carried out at 65k miles which I didn't have done (had to buy an engagement ring []). THe FSS recently went negative (now showing -700), and I'm wondering if the B service is worth it to get done. I understand that it's pretty expensive (~$1300 US? not including the "necessary repairs" that the stealer is going to claim it needs), and I'd like to hear your feedback as to if it's worth it.

I've recently had the brakes replaced (pads+rotors) to Porterfields, and I have replaced the dust filter in the cabin.

Thanks!

riz

BTW, if you live in northern VA, which stealership do you take your truck to? MB of Alexandria, or American Service Center?
Why not just skip the "stealer" altogether and have a professional lubrication technician at jiffy lube properly service your $50K vehicle? Just think, with all the money you saved, you can repair all the stuff he broke! Maybe you will even have enough to buy the extra 3 quarts of oil that he forgot to put in because no car should take that much oil.....
Old 12-30-2004, 11:10 PM

2005 SL55 AMG
Thanks guys for the replies, I was under the impression that the B service was a lot more expensive that it turns out to be. I will definitely make an appointment to have that done!

saturnstyl,

It wasn't my intent to offend anyone with a joke about the "stealer," but please don't assume that I'm trying to save a few bucks by not getting the truck serviced.

I take good care of my truck and just wanted to know if the B service maintenance package offered at a dealership was worth getting (for the cost and actual maintenance done), or if an independant repair should was a good alternative.
Old 12-31-2004, 08:17 AM
Almost a Member!

2000 ML 430
I did it once.. and never again.. I now only have them change oil... or do something specific if it needs to be done. A and B are definitely not worth it...
Old 12-31-2004, 05:57 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Radomir
I did it once.. and never again.. I now only have them change oil... or do something specific if it needs to be done. A and B are definitely not worth it...
Keep in mind service history has everything in the world to do with how the dealer treats you in your time of need. Customer A has all his service work done at the dealer. Customer B only has warranty work done, or the occassional oil change (which is actually a loss in most cases). Customer is just outside of warranty and needs part X replaced. Guess who will be given consideration?
Old 12-31-2004, 06:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL500
Originally Posted by saturnstyl
Keep in mind service history has everything in the world to do with how the dealer treats you in your time of need. Customer A has all his service work done at the dealer. Customer B only has warranty work done, or the occassional oil change (which is actually a loss in most cases). Customer is just outside of warranty and needs part X replaced. Guess who will be given consideration?
exactly. its also alot easier to sell a mb that has had all its services done and documented at the dealer
Old 12-31-2004, 06:35 PM

ML430, Mini Cooper S and Porsche 911 Twin Turbo
Dealer A & B services are not worth the $$$$

I used to take my ML to the dealer for all servicing work but soon found out that:
a. They were expensive
b. Frequently they were slipshod
c. They often forgot to stamp the service booklet
d. Often returned the car with oily finger prints on the trim
e. When I had a problem which wasn't strictly covered by warranty - it was 'tough luck'.
f. IMHO the added value of dealership service history adds little to the value of the ML when the resale value is down the pan. Why pay a significant % of the value of the car for little more than an oil change and bunch of inspections (read looking for more repair work at extra $$$) ?
g. I can do a better more thorough job myself at a fraction of the cost and much less inconvenience.

Finally providing you keep receipts of your non dealer servicing they are not legally able to decline warranty work - even goes for some performance mods/

But as Saturnstyl rightly says - they may cut you some slack if you've been a good little ML owner and always had your ML serviced by them
Old 01-03-2005, 12:43 AM

1987 Buick Grand National
Dealer A & B services

My '00 430 has almost 61K on it. I've had both services. I've also paid the stealer to fix items based on his word. In some ways, you're handcuffed unless finding an outlet for the truck is easy without taking a beating on it. My truck is a compete POS (piece of S**T), but it makes a great parts hauler. I'm very hesitant about another ML and the T-reg is looking better and better. Good luck!
Old 01-06-2005, 10:14 PM
Almost a Member!

2006 ML 350
Free maintenance

How much of A and B service is "free" on a 2003 ML?
Old 01-06-2005, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,169 Likes on 840 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
B Service

I have always had all work done by the dealer. Caveat, I have a very good dealer service department. l You build a relationship that way, then when something like the harmonic balancer goes out after warranty and takes out your pan, they may be more eager to help you. As others have said, future buyers of your car may give it some credence, as well.

However, you or a third party shop can do the work as well. The choice depends on your finances, how long you intend to keep the car, etc.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:24 AM

ML 430
this is all good info...I have a question....

I bought my 2000 ml430 last may,the factory was up last nov....I purchased starmark for a year.....my first service is in 200mi...will I be paying for this???? does starmark cover basic service checks???? I really would like to know this before bringing it in for a $300 oil change.....thanks!
Old 01-13-2005, 07:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL500
Originally Posted by imwalkin
this is all good info...I have a question....

I bought my 2000 ml430 last may,the factory was up last nov....I purchased starmark for a year.....my first service is in 200mi...will I be paying for this???? does starmark cover basic service checks???? I really would like to know this before bringing it in for a $300 oil change.....thanks!
nope you gotta pay for the service
Old 01-13-2005, 09:57 AM
Banned

Bantha
Originally Posted by Radomir

A & B not worth it I agree. I think people are nuts for owning a MB out of warranty now.