M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Latest upgrade on my ML

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2005 | 07:33 PM

1999 ML430
Latest upgrade on my ML

Well, the Fiamm triple air horns finally bit the bullet after five great years of service. After reinstalling the puny factory horns...I began the search for the replacements for the Fiamms.

I had heard great things about the Hella Supertones..German set... and tried a pair for about a week, but after air horns, its tough to go back....just not enough KICK..

Well, I think I've found the ultimate airhorns..short of installing a serious big rig w/air tank. They are made here in the good ol USA by an outfit just over the South Carolina line..fairly close to Atlanta. The horns are called the Dynamic Duo and are manufactured by : www.howardshorns.com.

Had'm now for about a week and these babies are LOUD. great quality, easy install and definately EFFECTIVE........Highly recommended!!!

www.howardshorns.com
Old 01-26-2005 | 08:12 PM

1999 ML430
some quick pictures

if you decide to install ANY airhorns make sure to use included relay, use 12-14 gauge wire and run power/ground wires directly from battery.....
Attached Thumbnails Latest upgrade on my ML-dynamic-duos-002.jpg   Latest upgrade on my ML-dynamic-duos-004.jpg   Latest upgrade on my ML-dynamic-duos-006.jpg   Latest upgrade on my ML-dynamic-duos-008.jpg  
Old 01-26-2005 | 11:03 PM
Almost a Member!

98, ML320
Those look pretty nice ... but I bet they would get destroyed once I took them under water. LOL

Tell me though, do they sound as high pitched as the dual trumpet FIAMMs do, are they much better sounding ??
Old 01-27-2005 | 07:45 AM

1999 ML430
No, they are not as high-pitched as the Fiamm/Hella trumpets. I believe pitch is primarily determined by length, but personally I think the metal horns have a mellower deeper pitch than the plastic trumpets.

These sound great and are pretty much instantaneous when you hit the button. The Fiamms had just a little hesitation before firing........

Don't know what they would sound like if you were pumping water through them !!
Old 01-27-2005 | 04:50 PM

SL500 E320 ML350
They have to be SCARY LOUD! What's been the reaction of those on the receiving end?
Old 01-27-2005 | 04:51 PM
Out Of Control!!

00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
how much louder are those than a regular horn?
Old 01-27-2005 | 07:54 PM

1999 ML430
These horns are much louder than the factory horns. With todays better soundproofing, higher wattage, louder stereos and particularly...cell phones... you need a horn that will be heard and allow the other driver time to react accordingly.

Granted the air horns maybe a little overkill, but the factory horns are woefully inadequate for getting the attention of inattentive drivers. At the very least I would recommend upgrading the ML horns to a decent quality Hella or Piaa electic horn. these can be purchased for $20.00 - $30.00 (for the pair) at most automotive stores and are plug and play.

Personally, when some idiot is on a cell phone, not paying attention to conditions around him/her, using their drive time for multi-tasking such as shaving, applying makeup...whatever......I want something that is going to scare the begezzes out of them and keep them out of my lane.......

just my personal opinion..........
Old 01-28-2005 | 12:26 AM

335is
do u ahev a sound clip of that... i wanna hear them in action... they look crazy enough....
Old 02-04-2005 | 08:52 AM
Almost a Member!

ML320
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by springerfever
These horns are much louder than the factory horns. With todays better soundproofing, higher wattage, louder stereos and particularly...cell phones... you need a horn that will be heard and allow the other driver time to react accordingly.

Granted the air horns maybe a little overkill, but the factory horns are woefully inadequate for getting the attention of inattentive drivers. At the very least I would recommend upgrading the ML horns to a decent quality Hella or Piaa electic horn. these can be purchased for $20.00 - $30.00 (for the pair) at most automotive stores and are plug and play.

Personally, when some idiot is on a cell phone, not paying attention to conditions around him/her, using their drive time for multi-tasking such as shaving, applying makeup...whatever......I want something that is going to scare the begezzes out of them and keep them out of my lane.......

just my personal opinion..........
Well said, springerfever !!!!!!!!!