M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Tested a new ML with 3rd Row, not impressed...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tested a new ML with 3rd Row, not impressed...

I drove an '05 350, and I was really disappointed in the 3rd row seat functionality. There is no way that a 5 y/o kid could get himself in that 3rd row- it took seemingly 20lbs of force in at least four steps to get that back seat to flip up. Also, there is no way to get access to the 3rd row if you had 2 baby car seats installed in the back seat. Not only that, I couldn't believe the over-engineered mechanisms that MB put in that 60/40 split back seat- why the heck is a telescoping hydraulic arm necessary?!?!?!? No wonder its such an expensive option! Although I didn't drive a 500, the 350 didn't light my fire at all. I didn't really enjoy the drive-by-wire sensation, I had forgotten that about my father's M classes- does that eventually get better with time, either through me getting used to it, or the computer learning my driving style?

The dealer talked me into taking an '04 DiscoveryII with jumper seats home overnight. At least LandRover doesn't even try to give access through the back seat to the 3rd row, it has a little step to help the munchkins climb up through the back gate. I can really appreciate the utility and functionality of this Rover, but it is NOT designed for guys like me that are 6'2"+, and 250lbs. If I try to put my left foot flat on the floor, my left leg gets wedged between the steering wheel and the door. In addition, in order to get the seat into a comfortable driving position, my right leg gets smashed between the steering wheel and the front of the seat when I try to get out of the car-and while driving my right leg is resting quite uncomfortably on the "afterthought-US-market cupholders" perched on the side of the center console. I also was not really impressed with the V8, it has NO higher end torque, and low end is not that great either. Even though I could pick this Disco up for a song, I'm not sure I could stand driving it.

So... the search continues...

Last edited by GeorgeF; 02-24-2005 at 10:52 AM.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Originally Posted by GeorgeF
I drove an '05 350, and I was really disappointed in the 3rd row seat functionality. There is no way that a 5 y/o kid could get himself in that 3rd row- it took seemingly 20lbs of force in at least four steps to get that back seat to flip up. Also, there is no way to get access to the 3rd row if you had 2 baby car seats installed in the back seat. Not only that, I couldn't believe the over-engineered mechanisms that MB put in that 60/40 split back seat- why the heck is a telescoping hydraulic arm necessary?!?!?!? No wonder its such an expensive option! Although I didn't drive a 500, the 350 didn't light my fire at all. I didn't really enjoy the drive-by-wire sensation, I had forgotten that about my father's M classes- does that eventually get better with time, either through me getting used to it, or the computer learning my driving style?

The dealer talked me into taking an '04 DiscoveryII with jumper seats home overnight. At least LandRover doesn't even try to give access through the back seat to the 3rd row, it has a little step to help the munchkins climb up through the back gate. I can really appreciate the utility and functionality of this Rover, but it is NOT designed for guys like me that are 6'2"+, and 250lbs. If I try to put my left foot flat on the floor, my left leg gets wedged between the steering wheel and the door. In addition, in order to get the seat into a comfortable driving position, my right leg gets smashed between the steering wheel and the front of the seat when I try to get out of the car-and while driving my right leg is resting quite uncomfortably on the "afterthought-US-market cupholders" perched on the side of the center console. I also was not really impressed with the V8, it has NO higher end torque, and low end is not that great either. Even though I could pick this Disco up for a song, I'm not sure I could stand driving it.

So... the search continues...
Perhaps its impossible to satisfy you.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:35 PM

Tesla
Discovery II is extremely expensive to maintain, just go check how much a set of brake pads will cost you. You WILL go thru at least a set of those every year.

And don't expect it to run troublefree. You will get to know your service advisor very well.

Name brand aside, I think you might want to look into Lexus LX470 or GX470, or even Toyota Sequoia.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:36 PM

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts
2014 E350 Estate Wagon 4Matic
I have an ML350 with third row seats and I have two baby seats in the 2nd row, one in the third row--yeah that's right 3 babies. It works fine for me. I'm 5'9" and I also felt too tall for the Disco II.

I have to say that I checked out the Infiniti QX 56 at our recent auto show and was very impressed...it's a very spacious car and looks really good on the inside. Not so impressed by the exterior lines. We're thinking of trading in our ML for the QX56--We kinda miss the roominess of our Escalade. Now if only Infiniti could rid themselves of the NISSAN parenthood I'd feel a lot better.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:40 PM

School bus
Originally Posted by steph280
Discovery II is extremely expensive to maintain, just go check how much a set of brake pads will cost you. You WILL go thru at least a set of those every year.

And don't expect it to run troublefree. You will get to know your service advisor very well.

Name brand aside, I think you might want to look into Lexus LX470 or GX470, or even Toyota Sequoia.
Expensive to maintain? At least not the first 50K miles with it's free services. Brake pads cost no more than my ML and mine's still good after after 20K miles but I gotta say it's a pretty cramp vehicles inside.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:19 AM

They salesmen twisted my arm and gave me a LR3 to drive last night, its bigger, reminescent of the Disco but larger, not quite as nimble.... but at $48k sticker, its about $20k more than I want to spend now.
Old 02-25-2005, 04:02 PM

School bus
They salesmen twisted my arm and gave me a LR3 to drive last night, its bigger, reminescent of the Disco but larger, not quite as nimble.... but at $48k sticker, its about $20k more than I want to spend now.
Hmmmm , let me see if I got the logic right. So you looking to spend $28K and change. Assuming the 05' ML350 worked out for you, you were planning then to pay around 28K for it?
Old 02-25-2005, 07:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Originally Posted by deltadude388
Hmmmm , let me see if I got the logic right. So you looking to spend $28K and change. Assuming the 05' ML350 worked out for you, you were planning then to pay around 28K for it?
This guy is what is known as a tire kicker, just wastes salesmen's time and efforts. He can't even keep his story straight
Old 02-26-2005, 09:40 AM

ML 320
Old 02-28-2005, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
28k, then why are you at benz? honda is down the street.

complaining about a car that you arent going to get. okay.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:56 PM

I am the furthest thing from a troll.... I am not sure what I am doing to incite some of these responses... just trying to share some experiences and gain knowledge on the current used market for the M-class.

In reference to the $28k, etc., can't a guy have a RANGE for my purchase budget? I am looking for an '02 or later M class with the 3rd row seat, see my other posts. I drove the '05 ML because it was the only M Class with the 3rd row back seat in the STATE. I understand from searching old posts that '02-'05 has changed very little- given that I can not find another ML in the state with a 3rd row, driving the '05 seemed to be a logical choice.

They encouraged me strongly to take the LR3 overnight since my fat azz didn't fit into the Disco too well. They didn't want to discuss pricing or a trade deal on my Jeep GC until I returned it the next day- I was quite skeptical that we could come anywhere near my budget. Indeed, we were more than $38k apart on their second try, as they had no incentives whatsoever on this new vehicle. The Disco II's they have are discounted $10k off MSRP as they were the loaner fleet for the Service Department, and would have been within my budget range. OK?!?!?
Old 02-28-2005, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by pointman
28k, then why are you at benz? honda is down the street.

complaining about a car that you arent going to get. okay.
Way to jump on the bashing bandwagon, cheif.

Whatever the source of this hostility is, its all in your collective head. Maybe the dealer really wants my business because my parents have both purchased vehicles at that dealership for several years, and they want my business too. Maybe it was that I drove up initially in my wife's '04 Denali XL, and they saw dollar signs... whatever it is, why would you decline the chance to drive these vehicles if you were in the market?
Old 03-02-2005, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

no hostility. you want to spend $28k. that is not ml territory. so why bash it? exactly. bye.
Old 03-02-2005, 01:08 PM

no hostility. you want to spend $28k. that is not ml territory. so why bash it? exactly. bye.
What planet are you from?
HERE is a list from Autotrader of ML 500's across the country for $32K list price and under.

...but at least you got to pad your post count that much higher, because, as we all know, with 2500+ posts you MUST be a VERY wise and all-knowing MB GOD! STFU.
Old 03-02-2005, 02:23 PM

School bus
He was looking at used ML's but testing a new one, that doesn't seem "sharp" to me. It's like go "do" a 21y.o. girl but marry her grandma! May be he likes grandma better! j/k :v :v :v
Old 03-02-2005, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by deltadude388
He was looking at used ML's but testing a new one, that doesn't seem "sharp" to me. It's like go "do" a 21y.o. girl but marry her grandma! May be he likes grandma better! j/k :v :v :v
Maybe I should have driven 600 miles to the Chicago area to test drive the used ML there with the 3rd row seat instead of looking at THE ONLY ML IN MY STATE with the 3rd row... it happened to be new.

If these posts are just the initiation Welcome Wagon, then I'm fine with that :v If not,

Can someone point me to the "Off Topic" section, I think I need to get my post count up. Then maybe I can participate in the next "jump in" of a newbie.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

What planet are you from?
HERE is a list from Autotrader of ML 500's across the country for $32K list price and under.

...but at least you got to pad your post count that much higher, because, as we all know, with 2500+ posts you MUST be a VERY wise and all-knowing MB GOD! STFU.
no need to bicker and get testy with me like an old woman. so youre looking used good job. move along now.
Old 03-05-2005, 07:49 PM
Almost a Member!

ML500 Silver/Black Sport/Sunroof/Comfort/Entertainment Packages, Icon-TV DVD & headrests
Wink

We decided on an ML as a back up vehicle to cart the little ones around. I wanted either an X5 or an ML... my husband already had his... the ML won me over.

We have 3 kids under 5 years and so have 2 full size car seats and one booster seat (yup - 3 seats)all in the second row. Yes, it's a bit cramped compared to our Expedition's roominess but it works great for us.

IMHO it's probably a bit tight to be a daily driver with the kids in mind as their cargo can also take up a lot of room but we are really happy with our choice. It's always hard when you have to find a vehicle to fit those car seats in - they really do take up a lot of room. Good luck in your search!!!

BTW the 3rd row deserves a name more like luxury folding chairs

Last edited by ML4me; 03-05-2005 at 07:59 PM.