M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

They Should Blow the ML up!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 02:15 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 ML 500
They Should Blow the ML up!

I have a 2003 ML500 with 22K miles on it. It has had 8 sets of pads and rotors due to this extremely annoying brake squeal. I'm not sure to what degree everyone is experiencing this squealing issue, but it is VERY loud on mine. I went down to Pennsylvania last weekend to pick up a C320 for my wife to drive, as she is fed up with driving the ML. Every toll booth I stopped at on the way down had a toll collector unable to even hear me due to how loud the brakes are and every one of them asked "What's wrong with your brakes"? My response to them was "Mercedes says it's perfectly normal for all ML500's to sound like this"! This damn thing sounds like a subway trolley. In any event, before anyone accuses me of being a Mercedes basher...please note that I purchased a 2003 C320 with 10K miles on it before you start getting defensive over your beautiful ML! Mercedes ought to be ashamed of themselves for not fixing an issue that is this serious! I actually love Mercedes' styling and wish I didn't just so I could make a statement with my wallet and by a BMW or Volvo (two cars I really don't like at all). Unfortunately, I continue to love the uniqueness of MB's styling. On a positive note, the C320 has been on the road for one week with no issues, and more importantly, the brakes actually don't squeal a bit.

I am still stunned that these clowns who work in the Service department at MB dealerships can look at me with a straight face and tell me all MB brakes are like this. Based on my own personal experiences, this is simply not the case. The ML500 clearly has an issue that Mercedes simply hasn't addressed properly. And yes, I am aware that there are supposedly updated parts to correct this problem. I'm here to tell you that those updated parts function no differently in my ML500. I just had the brakes replaced less than one week ago (in an effort to attempt to make this vehicle saleable!) and they sound exactly the same!

It's interesting to read these forums and listen to ML owners justify the sqealing i.e. "It's a bit cold here, so maybe when it warms up, they won't squeal as much". What a preposterous stance to have to take. I know where this comes from, because my MB service department gave me the same lame excuse. I happen to own 4 other cars and live in southern NH (not exactly Miami), and not one of my other cars has brakes that sound anything like this. And interestingly, the ML500 sits in my warm garage! Here is a surprise, it's off to the MB dealership in Lynnfield, MA on Monday morning, less than one week after the last brake job for them to fix...you guessed it...the brakes!

Let's hope Mercedes learns how to build an SUV that is functional. I will NEVER buy another ML500 and would warn anyone who even considered purchasing this vehicle to look at something that you can actually drive and not be embarrassed by how loud your brakes are. Thanks for listening to my venting over this abomination of an automobile!

John from Boston
Old 02-26-2005, 10:14 PM

ML 320
Your Stealership is BSing you! Your brakes SHOULD NOT squeal!! I would ask for a meeting with the MB Rep immediately!!
Old 02-27-2005, 12:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
And BTW, the squeal problem is really a ML500 problem, it never happened to me when I owned a ML320 and never on my E430 and never on any of the non ML500 loaners that I have driven this winter!!! As far as I know, most of us have not condoned this. Yes it happens mostly when the temps go low, but that doesn't mean that it should. Like you, most of us probably have other cars that don't do this. Sosh even had MB engineers take a trip to examine his truck because of this problem. I hate it and I wish Mb would address this. I guess one recourse in the US would be to contact NHSTA and file a complaint. If enough of us do it, it would be considered a problem and maybe MB would take it more seriously. Since it's, however, not a safety issue, I have no idea how NHSTA would handle this. I guess if I call them next week I'll find out!!!!
Old 02-28-2005, 02:08 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 ML 500
Well, just as an update, I am now the proud ex-owner of an ML500. Mercedes has finally agreed to take this poor excuse of an automobile back. For the record, I'm getting nowhere near the money I think they should give me, but at this point, I just want this thing out of my life in the interest of maintaining my sanity! I am turning it into Mercedes this Saturday, and I must say that I've never been happier to get an automobile in my life. It's really too bad, as I really liked the looks of the ML and even liked the interior. Oh well...such is life. I hope for all interested parties that MB constructs the 2006 ML (due out April 15th) a whole lot better than this generation of ML's.

I did talk to the Service Manager at Flagship Motors in Lynnfield, MA today, and he told me that he doesn't envision this type of brake problem with the new ML's. He said that Mercedes has decided to use an entirely different manufacturer for the new ML brake parts. Based on past performance, this is probably a very good decision for MB and all prospective ML owners. On a positive note, the new C320 I picked up is a nice little car, and the brakes still don't sing a tune like the ML. I guess I have some faith restored in MB and will probably now comtemplate my dream machine...an SL.

John from Boston
Old 02-28-2005, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Originally Posted by Darkmann
And BTW, the squeal problem is really a ML500 problem, it never happened to me when I owned a ML320 and never on my E430 and never on any of the non ML500 loaners that I have driven this winter!!! As far as I know, most of us have not condoned this. Yes it happens mostly when the temps go low, but that doesn't mean that it should. Like you, most of us probably have other cars that don't do this. Sosh even had MB engineers take a trip to examine his truck because of this problem. I hate it and I wish Mb would address this. I guess one recourse in the US would be to contact NHSTA and file a complaint. If enough of us do it, it would be considered a problem and maybe MB would take it more seriously. Since it's, however, not a safety issue, I have no idea how NHSTA would handle this. I guess if I call them next week I'll find out!!!!
NHSTA would completely ignor this type of a complaint as it is not a safety issue as the brakes work fine in fact I feel they are excellent.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Well I am very sorry to hear about your experience with the ML. We have a 99 ML320 and have not had too much headache with it but I feel your pain. On a positive note we also have a 2003 C320 4matic and have had absolutely no nagging issues with it after 18k miles. I think you will like the car, ours still has no rattles even after driving in boston day in and day out.
Old 03-01-2005, 10:08 AM
Almost a Member!

2003 ML 500
Thanks for the feedback Al. I'm glad to hear you really enjoy your C320. I'm already happy with the car because after listening to brakes howl for a year and a half, it's so refreshing to not have to deal with the noise any longer. It goes without saying that I like the looks of the car. In fact, I like the looks of almost every car MB makes (the G class and the SLK are the only models that don't do much for my taste, appearance wise). As for your lack of issues with your ML320...From everything I can tell, this brake issue is strictly in issue in the ML500. The Service Manager told me this problem has never existed in the ML320/350 because it's an entirely different braking system. I suspect from reading all the posts on these boards, that the squealing problem I had was probably a bit louder than what some others have experienced. I guess the big news on your 99 ML is that I heard 98 and 99 weren't great model years for the ML, and the fact that you've had no issues is a really great thing. I must admit that even after all of this, I am probably going to be tempted to at least look at the 2006 ML500, as I love the looks of it. Having said that, I think after the experience I've had over the past year and a half, I'll simply sit back and wait for others to offer feedback. If there are any serious issues (i.e. the brakes), I want to have some knowledge before I decide to put down my money.

John from Boston
Old 03-04-2005, 12:28 PM

Something I absolutely love
My ML500 and ML350

I had a 02 ML500 and it's brakes squeaked constantly. I had the dealership change my brake pads out with a 03 ML320. They never squeaked again. Also,only my brakes sqeak in winter. I purchased a 04 ML500 Inspiration Edition and the brakes still sqeak, but they are not that bad. My dad drives an 03 ML350 and it makes no braking noises. This problem is not just on MB, I also purchased a 04 BMW X5 3.0i and recently my brakes started sqeaking. I don't know what the problem is, but BMW and MB better be getting their act together and fix this problem. If you want your brakes to stop sqeaking, get a set of ML320 or ML350 brake pads.

04 ML500- 5.0L V-8
04 BMW X5 3.0i- 3.0L I-6
03 ML350- 3.7L V-6
Old 03-04-2005, 01:12 PM

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts
2014 E350 Estate Wagon 4Matic
Originally Posted by ML500 5.0L V-8
I had a 02 ML500 and it's brakes squeaked constantly. I had the dealership change my brake pads out with a 03 ML320. They never squeaked again. Also,only my brakes sqeak in winter. I purchased a 04 ML500 Inspiration Edition and the brakes still sqeak, but they are not that bad. My dad drives an 03 ML350 and it makes no braking noises. This problem is not just on MB, I also purchased a 04 BMW X5 3.0i and recently my brakes started sqeaking. I don't know what the problem is, but BMW and MB better be getting their act together and fix this problem. If you want your brakes to stop sqeaking, get a set of ML320 or ML350 brake pads.

04 ML500- 5.0L V-8
04 BMW X5 3.0i- 3.0L I-6
03 ML350- 3.7L V-6
Someone loves SUVs...
Old 03-04-2005, 04:22 PM

SUV's

I love SUV's, I think that they are kings of the road. Only thing that sucks they get about an average of 6-8 mpg in the city and 15-25 mpg on the highway.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML320
I love SUV's, I think that they are kings of the road. Only thing that sucks they get about an average of 6-8 mpg in the city and 15-25 mpg on the highway.
Wow - 6-8 city mpg on the ML's? That's pretty bad... Our ML is a gas guzzler - usually gets about 15 mpg overall city/highway driving (mostly highway-type though) - but 6-8 is Hummer territory lol.

Last edited by amb9800; 03-04-2005 at 09:39 PM.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:31 AM

ML500
my brakes squeek like a dam mouse and i changed my pads and rotors and it still does it, i have used green stuff,hawk,oem w/brembo drilled and oem rotors and they all squeek like no tomarrow no matter what combination i use.what is causing all this to happen..i have several other cars and i never experince the shet i have been going though with the ml500.. the stealer wants 700 for a brake job and thats just for the front . i save half by doing it my self.
Old 03-05-2005, 02:47 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 ML 500
Hey KillerLexus...

How many miles on your ML500? Are you still under warranty? If you are still under warranty, I would strongly urge you to go back to your dealer and tell them that you need these brakes serviced and the updated parts put into the ML500. Not that I think that is going to fix your issue, but as you can tell from my experiences, I kept going back to the dealer on this issue. Unlike some, I absolutely refused to believe from anyone driving an ML500 (including the dealer) that this squealing of the brakes was okay and "normal" in ML500's! There is NOTHING normal about it, period! I've never owned a vehicle with such an annoying problem that the dealer told me, point blank, that there was nothing they could do about it. I am happy to report that as of yesterday, I no longer own my 2003 ML500. The dealership took it back yesterday and I pity the poor person who ends up buying it next!

Now, onto important things...I see from your name that you're a fan of Lexus. I own a 2004 LX470 and it is far and away the nicest vehicle I've ever been in, period! Perhaps you already own one, but if not, replace your ML with the LX and you'll never look back.

John from Boston
Old 03-05-2005, 05:59 PM

MPG on ML

My ML500 gets 7.5 mpg if I am lucky in the city. The BMW X5 gets less than 8 mpg in the city. The ML350 is great on gas, probably 10-15 in the city.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:36 AM

ML
My ML500 gets 7.5 mpg if I am lucky in the city. The BMW X5 gets less than 8 mpg in the city. The ML350 is great on gas, probably 10-15 in the city.
No way, there must be something wrong with your ML. My 500 easily closks 16 in city driving and 18 on the highway. Of course, it's quite possible that my city driving involes a lot less stop/go than yours, but 7.5 is impossible and inconsistend with living with a vehicle, I don't care what kind of vehicle it is
Old 03-06-2005, 10:39 AM

ML
Originally Posted by Enigma869
Hey KillerLexus...

... Unlike some, I absolutely refused to believe from anyone driving an ML500 (including the dealer) that this squealing of the brakes was okay and "normal" in ML500's! There is NOTHING normal about it, period! I've never owned a vehicle with such an annoying problem that the dealer told me, point blank, that there was nothing they could do about it. I am happy to report that as of yesterday, I no longer own my 2003 ML500. The dealership took it back yesterday and I pity the poor person who ends up buying it next!

John from Boston
Hey John, I totally agree with you that this is really an unacceptable problem. Mine squeals in extreme cold weather and I have launched one complaint. So far, it's been pretty quiet but I don't quite understand how Mb hasn't fixed this. As far as I know, no other MB vehicles exhibit this problem. Anyway, so the 500 is gone!!! Good for you. I know you had several problems with it. I hope they didn't give you a hard time.
Old 03-12-2005, 12:06 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 ML 500
Hey Darkmann...

They definitely didn't give me a hard time. The dealership gave me $28,000 for it and Mercedes Benz kicked in another $4,000 for all the aggravation I had with my ML500. It was definitely way under the retail value for an 03 with only 20K miles on it, but, I really just wanted the problem to go away.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I bought a 2003 C320 for my wife and one month into it, zero issues. It's so nice to drive a car that doesn't sound like a subway. I do hope that MB has resolved this issue for the 06 M-Class coming out. I probably wouldn't buy one again, because of my experience, but I hope for others, this is a non-issue.

Now that summer is here, it's time for a new toy. Do I get the SL500 (the best looking car I've ever seen, period!) or do I stick with old, reliable Lexus and get their SC430 hard top convertible. I'll be honest...I think the SL blows away the Lexus in terms of appearance, but I think I'll probably still get the Lexus just because I've never read any problems about them and it's less money. Thanks for the feedback.

John from Boston
Old 03-14-2005, 04:49 PM

SL500 E320 ML350
Sorry to hear about your problem! I had an '03 ML320 - no brake noise. Bought an '05 ML350 - also no noise. In for first service and got the service manager's ML500 for a loaner. Brakes squeel like hell! It's got to be a ML500 issue. Mileage-wize I get 17.7 (so the computer says) that's a combo of highway and city driving.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:13 PM

ML
Originally Posted by benzboy
Sorry to hear about your problem! I had an '03 ML320 - no brake noise. Bought an '05 ML350 - also no noise. In for first service and got the service manager's ML500 for a loaner. Brakes squeel like hell! It's got to be a ML500 issue. Mileage-wize I get 17.7 (so the computer says) that's a combo of highway and city driving.
The brake squeal is uniquely a ML500 problem (or, rather a V8 ML problem). The rotors are larget and they tend to oscillate a lot in cold, very cold weather, hence the noise. I don't understand why they can't just make the rotors thicker or change them to some kind of composite material - anyone know if they are composites now? I'd widen the wheel stance just a tad to accomodate a thicker set of rotors and I think that would resolve this problem. Of course, the MSRP will then jump 30%!!!
Old 03-16-2005, 07:37 AM

560SEL
my friend happen to fix his MB bbrake sqeal by using after market rotors.. the one locally made.. and squel went away.. his vehicle was under warranty and the MB service failed to fix the sqeal.. how ever his warranty was not viod since he already arranged the aggrement with MB Service that if he manages to fix the sqeal himself by doin anything..it should not viod the warranty of the rest vehicle

his loss..his brakes are no more coverd by MB and he still has 6months of warrenty period remaining.. ;-)

the reason why brakes sqeal is when the friction resin on pads cannot grip the rotors softly enough to absorb all vibrations..and these vibrations cause the noise..

there has to be some kind of link between the resin material and softness of the rotors.. upgrating to after market softer rotors will solve the problem.. only downside.. frequent wearin out of rotors.. but who cares.. they are cheap anyway

Last edited by farooq; 03-16-2005 at 07:46 AM.
Old 03-20-2005, 04:53 PM
Almost a Member!

My ML500 gets 19 mpg around town and 22 mpg on the highway. That includes a few traffic light grand prix victories as well. Even my full house Group A rally car gets better than 8 mpg in competition.

There must be something seriously wrong with either your car or your driving style for fuel consumption to be that bad.

Last edited by sideways60; 03-20-2005 at 04:57 PM.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:19 AM

my ML350 does about 9 in the city and around 15-18 on the highway. obviously depends on how much i'm stepping on the gas... but i do get a lot of miles out of it.
Old 04-03-2005, 06:31 PM

I know what u mean about the squeking brakes. My mom has a 2002 ML500 and its had so many problems. Roters brake one after another. We replaced it and then it broke in less than 5,000 miles. The brakes squek again now, and when we brought it in to tune up the car, one of the people at MB just said that sand was hitting the brakes. He didn't even help fix it. So mad, good thing the lease is over at the end of the year. Were not getting another MB, prolly Acura MDX or Lexus GX.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95 Audi urS6 Quattro
Originally Posted by mbakshi
Wow - 6-8 city mpg on the ML's? That's pretty bad... Our ML is a gas guzzler - usually gets about 15 mpg overall city/highway driving (mostly highway-type though) - but 6-8 is Hummer territory lol.
=O, is that even possible? what grade of fuel do you use..? I pack 89 or 91 into my rover and get about 10-12, where these cars have a heritage for horrid gas milage.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML320
Originally Posted by Militant-Grunt
=O, is that even possible? what grade of fuel do you use..? I pack 89 or 91 into my rover and get about 10-12, where these cars have a heritage for horrid gas milage.
That's not me -- I was referring to ML500 5.0L V-8's comment.