M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Higher Ground Clearance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 ML350
Higher Ground Clearance

During my 1k mile checkup, I noticed my w164 is slightly higher than the ones in the lot. I've had this suspicion since I got the car. I know this by comparing the gap between the top of the tires and the bottom of the fenders. First I thought it was just an illusion since I have the 19" wheels and 255/50 tires. So I pulled out my miniature tape measure and started measuring. I found that I am sitting .5 inch higher than normal height. I checked this against three MLs in the lot and found the same thing. I made sure the ground was level when measuring. I don't have airmatic and neither did the three other MLs I checked. My service advisor asked one of the service managers about this and he said it could be adjusted. They will have to put it up on the alignment rack and measure. I'm just curious, what can be adjusted? And why would mine come out of the factory .5 inch higher? Has anyone else seen this?
Old 08-12-2005, 11:18 AM

ML350
I don't see what they can adjust. Then again, I don't see why they would say they could fix it if they couldn't. If it's just the normal spring/shock combo, they're trippin.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:54 AM
Almost a Member!

If you got the 19s stock then it could have been adjusted for that reason. Maybe the others didn't have 19s on them.

I simple .5" spacer above or below the spring is all you need.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by Flipsonic
During my 1k mile checkup, I noticed my w164 is slightly higher than the ones in the lot. I've had this suspicion since I got the car. I know this by comparing the gap between the top of the tires and the bottom of the fenders. First I thought it was just an illusion since I have the 19" wheels and 255/50 tires. So I pulled out my miniature tape measure and started measuring. I found that I am sitting .5 inch higher than normal height. I checked this against three MLs in the lot and found the same thing. I made sure the ground was level when measuring. I don't have airmatic and neither did the three other MLs I checked. My service advisor asked one of the service managers about this and he said it could be adjusted. They will have to put it up on the alignment rack and measure. I'm just curious, what can be adjusted? And why would mine come out of the factory .5 inch higher? Has anyone else seen this?
You didnt specify the engine size as the ride height is usually a complex combination of body mass, sway bars and spring selection. My car being the least optioned C-Class ever made needed careful spring selection after all of the options were factored into the ride height calculations. I personally wasnt interested in the lowest ride but rather the amount of lowering to be kept constant with increased weight.

You may be riding on suspension designed for a heavier car.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:31 PM

2006 ML350
Originally Posted by Cozz
If you got the 19s stock then it could have been adjusted for that reason. Maybe the others didn't have 19s on them.

I simple .5" spacer above or below the spring is all you need.
Yes, I did get the 19s stock. But the 19s have almost the same diameter as the 17s. What do you mean by it was adjusted for the 19s if they are the same diameter? As for the spacers, how does that work? Anyway, I dropped it off this morning and my service advisor was very nice about it. I asked him to set it at the lowest possible setting and he will do it for me.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
i think you are being too picky... why have them work on the vehicle if everything is working fine.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:29 AM

2006 ML 500 and 2006 SLK 55 AMG
I agree. You don't want to cause problems where there aren't any. In other words, why try to fix something that isn't broken?
Old 08-16-2005, 12:40 PM

2006 ML350
Well I got my car back yesterday and they said everything is up to spec. It should settle in a while since the car is still new. Of course I will not mess with anything MB does not recommend. As for the height difference, I think the difference is I had 1/4 tank of gas in mine and the others were probably close to full. This added more weight. That's the only explanation I can come up with regarding the .5" difference. I know that's very small, I just couldn't stand that my brand new car wasn't up to spec. But that's over now and I'm happier.

Just curious, what is your height clearance if measured from the top of the tire to the roof of the wheel well?

Mine is 7" (rear) and 6" (front) with 3/4 gas tank.