M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

ML500 Compared to Range Rover Sport SC

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 09:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2006 CLS 55 AMG
ML500 Compared to Range Rover Sport SC

Has anyone compared the two if so I would be interested in your thoughts and comments. Seems to be a hot SUV at the moment as most dealers are asking 5-20k over MSRP. The MSRP appears comparable to a loaded ML500.

http://www.landroverusa.com/us/en/Ve...t/Overview.htm

Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails ML500 Compared to Range Rover Sport SC-rrsport.jpg  
Old 12-01-2005, 03:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes all the way!
i'm not sure about pricing, but the RRS is a nice car - very unique interior, although i don't like the rear lights.

engine is smaller but you get air suspension standard, so that's something to think about.

in terms of size i *think* it's smaller than an ML (it's Disco-based). IMO it's a nice car but not sure if i'd go for this instead of a ML500. will need a proper test drive.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Do not believe there is any comparison. Reliability may be a problem with the Rover and I do not think they are as comfortable, as safe or as attractive as the ML. Performance is also a question. Dealer service is reputed to be not so good also.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
E90 N54 & W251
I drove the new RRS and really liked it. Funniest thing was adjusting the seat and really seeing the whole parts sharing thing. Seat adjusters and memory buttons are straight from Volvo. It even has the same font that Volvo uses. A MB sales man that I dealt with in the past said that I'd be well aquainted with the service department if I bought one. He was referring to both the New ML and RRS. I'd drive both of them back to back for a real comparison. Keep in mind that you might have the typical 1st year issues with either vehicle.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,191 Likes on 858 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
RR Sport vs. ML500

I like the looks of the RR Sport. Some things to note:
- Its 390 hp outdoes the ML, but it has a LOT more weight to haul around (almost half a ton). Fuel economy is a tad worse than the ML.
- Cargo capacity is identical to the ML
- Low range and acitve roll control are nice features
- Costs about $10k more but is better equipped than ML500
- Reliability is a big question mark.

Overall, I think the ML550 with the upcoming 382 hp 4-valve V8 will be the ticket.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2006 CLS 55 AMG
Thanks for the input!

The 390 hp Super charged version seems to be impressive and feature rich. At 69k the RR is a few thousand more than a loaded ML500 and includes a more robust power plant. Never been a land Rover fan. A good point was made regarding parts sharing. (I believe Land Rover is owned by Ford.) The look is very sporty and sophisticated. The tall "stadium seating" is not for me, I tend to enjoy the "enclosed ****pit" interior style. I guess I will need to schedule a test drive of RRS SC to see if it is in fact for me. The look is very sporty and sophisticated.
I must say I wish I knew when the ML550 would arrive which would narrow my decision considerably. Another option could possibly be the ML63 at possibly 10-15k more than the loaded RR.

I suppose that would be another thread at a later time. On second thought I already have an answer .....AMG!
Old 12-01-2005, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Not Sure

RRS is a nice SUV and its looks good both inside out and its a good competitor for the ML but we did have some of our own problems in regards with the new RR. My uncle basically has a LR3 SE and we kinda had problems with it. I know its different from the RRS but I just want to let you know that Land Rover has some issues especially on build quality that they have to look at. Example, in less than a year, we had problems with the gasoline tank that when you fill it up to full, it triggers the sensor (changed already from the recall that LR issued) that causes a safety precaution that only allows you to run only up to 40MPH!, next, the oxygen sensor then we had the suspension acting weird putting out the sensors up again, then, the latest we encountered was the moonroof. IT WAS LEAKING! Though the dealer fixed it but the point here is not about the dealer, what I want to emphasize is that, LR is trying to change its image but when this things happen, I guess its hard to bring back customer loyalty. LR3 is basically the Discovery and they changed it because the Discover (sorry to those who are loyal Discovery owners here, didn't mean to but what I'm only saying is base from my experience) esp. Gen 1 Discoveries, really had a lot of problems. So its kinda somewhat not really a good start for the LR3 esp. for the RR that's to what I think.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes all the way!
well, i know the new RR has had its share of problems. i believe topgear had one on long term test and they had such basic stuff as the doors not closing sometimes going wrong.. but perhaps just a first year build issue. might hv been resolved now.

i'm still going for a ML if i have a choice - the RR is super cool but the RRS just doesn't quite do it for me - think it looks somewhat like a Jeep.. which is fine until you consider the price difference..
Old 12-02-2005, 02:54 PM
Out Of Control!!

monowiper
Range doesn't have the BMW quality anymore, back to Ford quality

and i wouldn't be suprised if in the next couple years you'll see Jaguar type resale values on them as well ;p

i don't think it's a fair comparison though, total different vehicle classes imo, but what i can say is new ML is a huge leap in style over the previous version that seemed so unfinished specially the rear, new one is sleek
Old 12-02-2005, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Originally Posted by Eurosport
Range doesn't have the BMW quality anymore, back to Ford quality

and i wouldn't be suprised if in the next couple years you'll see Jaguar type resale values on them as well ;p

i don't think it's a fair comparison though, total different vehicle classes imo, but what i can say is new ML is a huge leap in style over the previous version that seemed so unfinished specially the rear, new one is sleek
If they don't already you will see it built on an existing Ford platform like the Jag.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The True OG Modded out W203
I love MB and all but sorry I would choose the RR hands down. I looked at both a month back and was not impressed w/the ML like I thought I would be....but the RR-man that was sweet.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:37 PM

They arn't really in the same category. The ML is more of a Regular Range Rover competitor than the Baby Range Rover. The BRR is kinda small and not much faster than it's big brother, also its not as luxurious. I'd kinda go with the ML if I were to choose from the two, although I prefer the old bodystyle ML to the newer one.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:35 PM

'16 BMW X5 Xdrive 35i M Sport
i think the RRS is direct competition for the ML500. i would be concerned about the RRS' quality/reliability - granted, MB's aren't perfect these days, but I think they'll generally have less quality issues than RR's. I also think the Rovers tend to be too heavy for daily driving, my friend's LR3 is just too damned heavy. Last, anyone who would pay 20% over MSRP for a RRS is a fool.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:55 AM

2012 Diavel
I enjoy my RR sport and chose it over the ML500. I prefer the Command Nav in the ML but I really like the overall look of the exterior and interior (lots of leather and cherry wood) of the RRS. I just took a 400 mile drive this weekend and while it is no sedan, the ride was very comfortable, even with the 22" Overfinch wheels I have on it. I would like a little more performance, but couldn't justify the $9K hit and wait time for the 90 hp in the SC. The wait for the ML63 is killing me.