M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Brabus Springs Experience

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 12:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 ML350
Brabus Springs Experience

Well, I thought of it very hard and decided to swap the springs. I just couldn't look at that huge wheel gap anymore. I checked with my SA regarding the warranty before I had Brabus install them. He said MB would still cover everything except for the springs. Most importantly, I'm very happy now.

I drove from the San Francisco bay area to L.A. during the X'mas holiday for some family gathering. I took I-5 south and got there in 5 hours. Average speed (from the computer) is 66 mph because of slow pokes and a couple of stops along the way. I kept it at 85 most of the way and went up to 95 to pass packs of cars. Never broke 100. Handling and speed of the ML350 is quite capable. I'm sure the 500 is better. Average gas consumption is 18.2 mpg. I'm sure if I kept it at 70 mph (speed limit), it would've been close to 20. Overall, it felt like I drove a car to LA and not a SUV. Everytime I passed cars, they get behind me and used me like some kind of battering ram. I don't drive crazy, especially with family in the car, but I just wanted to feel the car on the open road. And I tell you, there's nothing like German engineering.

While I was in SoCal, I drove to Brabus at Newport Beach. There weren't many cars in the showroom. There was a SL500 and a ML500 all decked out in Brabus on-road styling. It took 5 hours to swap the springs. I was skeptical about how much lower it will look. I didn't want to spend $900 and still not satisfied. But all that changed when I saw my ML. It lowered 1.25" in front and 2" in the rear. I didn't know a few inches could cause this much visual impact. To me, it now looks perfect. It is not too high anymore, and on the other hand, it's not slammed to the ground. It really compliments the 20" Antera rims and 295 Pirelli tires I have on. And when I got in and drove it, man what a difference. The bumps are almost the same as stock. But the handling is awesome. I couldn't wait to get it back on the open road. Brabus said alignment is not necessary but I will have it checked anyway just in case.

Once I got it to windy roads, I was so amazed. There was virtually no roll and it just hugs the road. It feels like I'm in sport mode, or maybe even better. But the best thing is I don't have to worry about malfunctioning air pumps. It felt great on the way down. But man, it felt even better on the way back. The trip back to SF took 4.5 hours. I wonder why?

So if you don't have airmatic and want that sporty look and better handling, shedding $900 to swap to Brabus springs is well worth it. I will take pictures and post it as soon as this miserable rainy weather is over. I hope everyone had a merry X'mas. I know I did.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:01 PM

2011 E-class coupe, 2012 C-class
Smile

Looking forward to see the pics
Old 12-31-2005, 07:30 AM

ML 320 CDI
I'm a little bit skeptical about the combo brabus spring/stock dampers. I think it overstress the dampers.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:20 PM
ON PROBATION

Nice real-world experience write-up. Thanks.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:38 PM

2006 ML350
Originally Posted by Paul Le Corre
I'm a little bit skeptical about the combo brabus spring/stock dampers. I think it overstress the dampers.
I was skeptical too. Brabus assured the stock dampers are not affected. They said MB designed the non-airmatic ML higher due to loading and off-roading since the height is set, unlike the ones with airmatic. The stock dampers are able to adapt to the lower height. If they fail earlier than expected, I will just replace them with the Brabus dampers.

One thing I couldn't believe is, Brabus said alignment is not necessary. Usually, when the height is lowered, the bottom of the wheels come out to compensate. One would think camber has to be reset so it's perpendicular to the road and not have uneven wear to the inside of the tires. But as I said, my dealer will be looking at this on Tuesday to make sure it is properly aligned. One thing I forgot to mention, there is no rubbing when the wheels are turned all the way.
Old 01-03-2006, 02:09 AM

ML 320 CDI
Let us know if the alignment is still ok please.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:13 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

VIPER
Sounds like another satisfied BRABUS client!

Please post pics when you can, and in the meantime enjoy!
Old 01-04-2006, 11:27 AM

2006 ML350
Originally Posted by Paul Le Corre
Let us know if the alignment is still ok please.
Update - The MB dealer here adjusted the alignment yesterday after Brabus said no alignment is needed. The toe was off even though it was not pulling to the right or left. They were able to set it dead center. However, the cambers cannot be set within stock specs unless the height is brought back to normal. They were able to set them as close as possible. As for the uneven tire wear, the SA said not to worry since it will be minimal. In addition to rotating the tires regularly, he said to set the tire pressure a pound or two above the recommended value. It will help minimize the uneven wear.
If you are swapping to Brabus springs, checking the alignment is highly recommended. I don't know why Brabus said it is not necessary. There must be a reason for this. I guess only time will tell if they are right.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:02 PM
Almost a Member!

Hi Flipsonic! I'm dying to see your ML. I'm thinking of trading in my wife's C230SS for one. Can't wait for the pics and thanks for sharing your "Brabus" experience.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:48 PM

2006 ML350
Go to this link to see the pics.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/foru...posts=8&fid=52
Old 01-29-2010, 12:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C320 Coupe
After reading several threads Brabus seams to be the way to go. Do I have to call Brabus to get them or is there a dealer in the Memphis Area? I'll install them myself.