M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Finding Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finding Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel

I have got a ML320 CDI since two weeks now and so far so good. However, I am concerned at the trouble I had finding stations selling ULSD. Live in Bethesda MD, and went to about 5 stations selling diesel, before finding one selling ULSD; all others had only LSD. Considering that Mercedes say that LSD will damage the exhaust system, I wonder how difficult it may be finding ULSD when travelling with this car. Is there a way of finding some sort o map with location of stations selling ULSD. Tried several oil companies websites with no great success...
Old 11-28-2006, 12:15 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
Originally Posted by empismiguel
I have got a ML320 CDI since two weeks now and so far so good. However, I am concerned at the trouble I had finding stations selling ULSD. Live in Bethesda MD, and went to about 5 stations selling diesel, before finding one selling ULSD; all others had only LSD. Considering that Mercedes say that LSD will damage the exhaust system, I wonder how difficult it may be finding ULSD when travelling with this car. Is there a way of finding some sort o map with location of stations selling ULSD. Tried several oil companies websites with no great success...

My dad is having the same issue...however, a few of the local stations say that they are being delivered "ULSD" but their tank is not yet certified to be labeled as such...he has been bugging them to get certified...and at one such station, that bugging them worked...it is now ULSD.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'03 G500, '13 G63, '17 GLS63,
Does anybody know if LSD will really harm the vehicle? I'm going on a road trip soon and am not sure if I should take the ML320 CDI for fear a gas station might not have ULSD. I'm not saying I condone using LSD in the car, nor that I would, but I'd like to know just the same.

Last edited by medici78; 11-28-2006 at 06:34 PM.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
From what I understand all diesel for highway use is ULSD even if the station is not labeling as such. Reason for the delay in labeling is the certification of the tanks, transport, etc. I would have no qualms about putting anything sold in an MB at this time.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
2000 MB G500 NMLE, 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI Prestige
Originally Posted by sosh
From what I understand all diesel for highway use is ULSD even if the station is not labeling as such. Reason for the delay in labeling is the certification of the tanks, transport, etc. I would have no qualms about putting anything sold in an MB at this time.

80% of refinery capacity must be ULSD. Stocking at stations is optional until 2010, when it becomes mandatory - except in CA, where it is mandatory now.

You gotta shop around.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Originally Posted by DUTCH
80% of refinery capacity must be ULSD. Stocking at stations is optional until 2010, when it becomes mandatory - except in CA, where it is mandatory now.

You gotta shop around.
Yes but the 20 percent that is the higher level of sulphur is for marine and off road use which consumes about 20 percent of refinery output.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by sosh
Yes but the 20 percent that is the higher level of sulphur is for marine and off road use which consumes about 20 percent of refinery output.
Not so! Please see the following:

Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel will be the primary
highway diesel fuel produced.

The full transition to ULSD fuel is complex and involves coordination at many levels. Under the new EPA standards:

* Refiners and importers nationwide must ensure that at least 80 percent of the volume of the highway diesel fuel they produce or import is ULSD-compliant by June 1, 2006.
* Diesel fuel classified as ULSD must reach distribution and marketing points downstream from refineries (i.e., pipelines, distributors, terminals and transporters) by September 1, 2006 (July 15, 2006 in California).
* ULSD fuel is expected to be available at many retail locations by October 15, 2006
(September 1, 2006 in California).
* Diesel fuel classified as Low Sulfur Diesel fuel may still be sold at retail locations outside of California between October 15, 2006 and December 1, 2010.

Although ULSD fuel will be the dominant highway diesel fuel produced, EPA does not require service stations and truck stops to sell ULSD fuel. Therefore, it is possible that ULSD fuel might not be available initially at every service station or truck stop and that a diesel retailer may choose to sell Low Sulfur Diesel fuel instead of ULSD fuel. The industries involved in the transition are doing all they can to minimize potential inconveniences during the conversion to the new diesel fuel.
The link for this info is: http://www.thecreativeadvantage.com/...2/highway.html

In the graphic below, the key words are: "chose to carry ULSD".
Attached Thumbnails Finding Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel-ulsd_time_line.jpg  

Last edited by DUTCH; 11-28-2006 at 09:39 PM.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 ML350 BLUETEC/2012 SLK350/2000 C280/1972 28SE
Question ULSD in Canada?

Further to this discussion, can any of our Canadian bretheren shed some light as to the type of diesel fuel that is available north of the 49th parallel? Being close to the border, we go up to the Great White North regularly and unfortunately I couldn't find any markings on the pump.

On our maiden voyage with the new ML last week, we tanked up (the car, not us) before crossing the border and with the great fuel consumption (26.5mpg average) we didn't need to fill up until we were back south of the border. Hence we didn't risk fuelling up until we were absolutely, positively sure of what was coming out of the spigot.

Back to the main subject, so far I've found that Shell has gone completely ULSD at all their stations, at least on the Left Coast.

Glenn
Old 12-12-2006, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ULSD in Canada

The following link should answer some questions for you:

http://www.cppi.ca/ULSD_Q_A_s.html

Here is a very pertinent quote:

Q9. Do all service stations and truck stops have to offer ULSD for sale?

A: No. Environment Canada's regulations do not require service stations and truck stops to sell ULSD. However, wherever diesel fuel is sold in Canada for on-road applications, only ULSD may be sold.

NOTE: Because Canada will not have 2 grades of on-road diesel fuel (unlike the U.S.) the Canadian regulations do not require that pumps be labeled. However, it is the intention of CPPI member companies to label ULSD fuel pumps with a circular yellow label having a black centre and the words Low Sulphur Diesel. This identification is one additional level of information to help customers avoid misfueling their vehicles.

Last edited by DUTCH; 12-12-2006 at 06:52 PM.