M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Ordering 2007 ML, Need Advice from Pros...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 Mercedes-Benz E350 4Matic
Ordering 2007 ML, Need Advice from Pros...

Hi,

I will be ordering my ML in next couple of weeks and need some advice. Let me explain my situation first. I will be leasing the vehicle with about 18000 kms/year for 3 years. Depending on the situation after 3 years, there may be a possibility I may buy the vehicle. BTW, I live in Toronto, Canada.

My questions:
1. The salesman suggested me to go for ML350 instead of ML320 CDI as I will not be driving the vehicle a lot, only about 18000 kms/year. His recommendation is if I would have been driving much more, than it will be better to get the CDI to save on gas. For lower mileage, gasoline will be more pleasurable to drive. What do you think?

2. Communications Package: Should I get this? This is a CDN$1,600 (US$1400) option and I will have to buy another $300-400 worth of attachment to make my bluetooth phone work with the vehicle. I don't think it is worth it. Are there any alternate after-market products that anyone has tried? Or simply the bluetooth headset should be good enough!!!

Options that I am considering ordering:
- Active Bi-Xenon Headlamp Package
- harman/kardon® Sound System Package
- ML350 Premium Package
- Rear view camera
- Trailer hitch

Any other things to consider while ordering.

Appreciate your responses.

Vivek
Old 03-04-2007, 10:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
I do not see Airmatic on your list. Is it in the Premium package?? If not you really should consider it. Well worth it!!
Old 03-04-2007, 10:06 PM

Airmatic is not part of Premium Package. Premium Package in Canada includes the following:
10-way power adjustable front seats with power steering column and 3 position memory function. COMAND APS with navigation. Heated rear seats. EASY-PACK power tailgate. Exterior power folding mirrors.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,179 Likes on 848 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
ML equipment & options

Originally Posted by Vivek
Hi,

I will be ordering my ML in next couple of weeks and need some advice. Let me explain my situation first. I will be leasing the vehicle with about 18000 kms/year for 3 years. Depending on the situation after 3 years, there may be a possibility I may buy the vehicle. BTW, I live in Toronto, Canada.

My questions:
1. The salesman suggested me to go for ML350 instead of ML320 CDI as I will not be driving the vehicle a lot, only about 18000 kms/year. His recommendation is if I would have been driving much more, than it will be better to get the CDI to save on gas. For lower mileage, gasoline will be more pleasurable to drive. What do you think?

2. Communications Package: Should I get this? This is a CDN$1,600 (US$1400) option and I will have to buy another $300-400 worth of attachment to make my bluetooth phone work with the vehicle. I don't think it is worth it. Are there any alternate after-market products that anyone has tried? Or simply the bluetooth headset should be good enough!!!

Options that I am considering ordering:
- Active Bi-Xenon Headlamp Package
- harman/kardon® Sound System Package
- ML350 Premium Package
- Rear view camera
- Trailer hitch

Any other things to consider while ordering.

Appreciate your responses.

Vivek
I would also recommend the Airmatic, as well as the bi-xenons. The hitch depends on your potential uses for it, but good to have on a sport ute.

As far as gas vs. diesel, I suggest you drive both. The power characterisitcs of the two engines are very different. The US$1,000 difference (US figure) could definitely be amortized in the time you own it, but you need to see how each feels to you.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:11 PM

Thanks. Could you please explain in short what Airmatic does? What each of the 3 settings of Airmatic does to the drive?
Old 03-04-2007, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Airmatic

Originally Posted by Vivek
Thanks. Could you please explain in short what Airmatic does? What each of the 3 settings of Airmatic does to the drive?
The three settings, Comfort, Auto and Sport are notieceably different. Comfort, of course, is the softest, which my wife likes, but usually too floaty for me. Auto is a good compromise. Sport I like when driving fast or on twisty roads. Airmatic also includes adaptive damping, which aids ride comfort and control. Lastly, you can raise the vehicle almost 4" for trails or deep snow.

Here's a more thorough explanation (from press release) for your beditme reading:

"AIRMATIC air suspension in on-road and off-road configurations

The AIRMATIC air suspension system (optional) developed by Mercedes-Benz proves its versatility in the new M-Class. It not only makes a significant improvement to ride comfort, but also offers additional functions for off-road driving.

Mercedes customers are offered a choice: the AIRMATIC package provides an air suspension configured for on-road operation which automatically lowers the suspension by 15 millimetres at higher speeds. For off-road driving this system enables the ground clearance to be increased by 80 millimetres at the touch of a button. The second AIRMATIC variant, which is part of the Off-Road Pro engineering package, enables the vehicle level to be raised in three stages by operating a button: by 30, 80 and 110 millimetres. This gives the new M-Class its maximum ground clearance of 291 millimetres.

It is possible to raise or lower the suspension both when idling or on the move. If the M-Class is moving, the system operates on a speed-dependent basis and automatically lowers the suspension by 15 millimetres at both axles when 140 km/h is reached, in order to reduce the wind resistance and improve handling stability. When the speed falls below 40 km/h the suspension is raised to its normal level again. Other features of the air suspension system include an automatic all-round level control function, which ensures that the suspension travel remains constant even when the vehicle is heavily laden.

The suspension level settings at a glance:

AIRMATIC package || AIRMATIC in the Off-Road Pro technical package
Mode Change / Ground clearance || Change / Ground clearance
Highway 0 / 181 mm || 0 / 181 mm
Highspeed -15 mm* / 166 mm || -15 mm* / 166 mm
Offroad 1 -- / -- || +30 mm / 211 mm
Offroad 2 +80 mm / 261 mm || +80 mm / 261 mm
Offroad 3 -- / -- || +110 mm / 291 mm
*automatic lowering

Adaptive shock absorber control according to the driving situation

In both variants AIRMATIC works as standard together with the Adaptive Damping System (ADS), which controls the shock absorber response in line with requirements while taking the road surface, driving style and load into consideration. Selectable solenoid valves in the shock absorbers enable the rebound and compression damping to be modified according to the situation, which considerably reduces body movements. The so-called skyhook algorithm controls the damping forces at each wheel in such a way that the wheel-induced forces acting on the vehicle body are reduced. Thanks to this precise control for each individual wheel, the two front wheels can e.g. be damped more heavily than the rear wheels to reduce the tendency of the body to dive when braking. Depending on the control command, the valves are able to select one of four characteristic curves within an extremely short response time of less than 0.05 seconds:

Stage 1: Comfortable suspension action with small body movements and low acceleration values owing to soft compression and rebound settings.

Stage 2: Skyhook mode – soft rebound setting and a hard compression setting.

Stage 3: Skyhook mode – soft compression setting and hard rebound setting.

Stage 4: Hard rebound and compression setting to reduce wheel load fluctuations when cornering at speed.
When body movements are small the new M-Class operates in ADS stage 1. If body acceleration values exceed a certain level, the system changes over to the skyhook algorithm and uses its rapid-response solenoid valves to continuously switch between the second and third damping stage to compensate the rolling and pitching movements of the vehicle body. The current driving situation is identified by means of a steering angle sensor, three body-mounted acceleration sensors, the speedometer signal giving the road speed, data from the Electronic Stability Program (ESP®) and the signal from the brake pedal switch. On the basis of this information the electronic control unit calculates the most efficient damping forces and selects the relevant characteristic curves for the shock absorbers.

In addition the driver is able to influence the changeover thresholds between the four ADS stages, as well as the spring rate, by pressing a button in the centre console. There is a choice of three modes: "Auto", "Sport" and "Comfort".

The variable ADS gas-pressure shock absorbers and air spring are integrated into a spring strut at the front axle of the new M-Class. At the rear axle the ADS shock absorber is located behind the air spring. Torsion bar stabilisers are also used at both the front and rear."

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 03-04-2007 at 11:43 PM.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
2000 MB G500 NMLE, 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI Prestige
I don't know about Canada, but the Off Road Pro package is not available in the USA. However, even without the Off Road Pro variant, the Airmatic is well worth the extra cost,

Try the 320CDI in comparison with the 350 gasser. You'll choose the diesel. The power curve and fuel economy are worth every penny of the initial premium.

I think your salesman doesn't want to sell the 320CDI because they are not as easy to get as the 350.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:36 AM

2007 E500 AMG Pack (Columbite Black) / 2006 ML 320CDI AMG Pack / 2005 E350 Sport (sold)
I agree with Greg, out of all of the options on my 2006 ML320 CDI Airmatic is by far the best. It is the main reason I am replacing my 2005 E350, I should have ordered Airmatic!
Old 03-15-2007, 08:35 PM

Wouldn't lease or purchase this vehicle

I own a 2007 ML 350 with the P1 package.
I traded my 2004 Acura MDX for this SUV. My original test of the ML350 was good. I came back two times to the same dealer to make sure I was making the right decision.

When I got my ML, it was fresh off the delivery truck. In fact is was one of the first new colors to be released for 2007, Verde Brook.

I wasn't familar with what Tex-Mex was as an interior and my salesperson told me it was the color of the leather interior (I found out after the fact it was another name for Vinyl or Pleather interior).

My first real test of the vehicle started on Monday going to work. The ML rode really rough, I could feel every bump and crack on the road. I called the dealer and was told nothing is wrong with the car and to come in on Wednesday if I really feel something is wrong. (Dealer has a 48 return period) I didn't wait until Wednesday, I went back that night. They would not talk with me or ride in the vehicle to validate my claim.

It took me getting my lawyer involved for them to look at my vehicle and find out that they indeed were wrong. The ML wasn't PDIed correctly (post delivery inspection). The car had the original transport rated air pressure in the tires 60psi.

There were also yellow tick marks in the interior (don't know what they were).

It has been about 8 months now since I got my ML and the following items have either been replaced or need replacing:

- Front Shocks replaced
- All brakes (under warranty - factory defect)
- Premature oil refill
- Coolant Light and coolant needed.
- Rear Air stop working.
- wiper blade replaced.
- wood grain on door cracked ( not by force, by cold weather)
- IPod connector replaced.

I still have issues with my ML creaking / squeaking going over bumps (something I never had happen w/ my Acura????)

Unable to add voice control to my vehicle even though I have the buttons to do so....

The one thing that bugs me the most is the service. I feel the service department doesn't care about its customers. I read the forum that other dealers are better than others, but.. All dealers should be happy to have a customer come and have their car serviced with them......

This is my first Benz and this is my last Benz. I am now selling the ML because of the problems and the service department.

My advice to you is, buy your ML if you are hardcore Benz person. If you are not, buy another SUV from another manufacture. I understand the comments I have written here will be seen by others as harsh or bashing but believe me, when I pay over 48,000 for a car, I want it to work and have good service advisors behind me.

Also trust me, others that will tell me to get a AMG series car, I don't think so. If Mercedes will allow a dealer to treat a customer badly with a 48K car, I would hate to find out how they treat me at a 174K car....

Thank you,
Old 03-15-2007, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by arbittan
I own a 2007 ML 350 with the P1 package.

My first real test of the vehicle started on Monday going to work. The ML rode really rough, I could feel every bump and crack on the road. I called the dealer and was told nothing is wrong with the car and to come in on Wednesday if I really feel something is wrong. (Dealer has a 48 return period) I didn't wait until Wednesday, I went back that night. They would not talk with me or ride in the vehicle to validate my claim.

It took me getting my lawyer involved for them to look at my vehicle and find out that they indeed were wrong. The ML wasn't PDIed correctly (post delivery inspection). The car had the original transport rated air pressure in the tires 60psi. ,
I had the same unadjusted tire pressure problem at delivery of my 2007 ML320CDI. The ride was horrible on any of the three different Airmatic settings. I found the cold tire pressures to be in the 38 psig range all around.

I adjusted them to the 32 front and 38 rear tire placard recommended levels; and it was like I had an entirely different truck. Not the first problem since then.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:23 PM

'16 BMW X5 Xdrive 35i M Sport
options

I definitely recommend the Airmatic suspension...the ability to choose suspension settings comes in more handy than you think, especially if you live in an area with variable quality roads. Also, if music is your thing, i'd recommend Sirius and the iPod integration kit...although i'm not sure that Sirius is available in Canada.

The power liftgate is also very handy. As for the bi-xenons, i recommend them, but you will get a lot of pissed off looks by people who think you're shining your hi-beams at them...they're pretty strong and flood the car in front of you with light.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jjl12
As for the bi-xenons, i recommend them, but you will get a lot of pissed off looks by people who think you're shining your hi-beams at them...they're pretty strong and flood the car in front of you with light.

Not so, if they're the factory option. They are very highly focused with extremely sharp and precise cutoffs. Aftermarket kits will spray light all over the place, but not the factory lights.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Bi-xenons

Originally Posted by DUTCH
Not so, if they're the factory option. They are very highly focused with extremely sharp and precise cutoffs. Aftermarket kits will spray light all over the place, but not the factory lights.
Agree--the factory units, unless somehow misadjusted, are bright but do not glare on oncoming traffic. They have self-levelling. Aftermarket units can be ill-suited to the reflector and don't have self-levelling.
Old 03-18-2007, 04:14 PM

ML 350-Black=Sold. New 08 C300 4Matic, Black/Black, P1, Ipod, Auto7speed, 10/10 hit 100,000 miles
definately get the Airmatic
Old 03-18-2007, 10:25 PM

2003 C230K Sedan
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
Agree--the factory units, unless somehow misadjusted, are bright but do not glare on oncoming traffic. They have self-levelling. Aftermarket units can be ill-suited to the reflector and don't have self-levelling.
My dad recently got a ML350 and I told him he had to get the Bi-Xenon option since he does drive at night a lot. I've played around with the high beam in my garage and wow are those lights bright.

Also to the OP, another option that's worth getting is the Full Leather Upholstery that costs almost $1600. The seats are really soft and has that luxury leather smell. My dad wasn't looking to get that option but the car he bought came with it and he's glad it did.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:50 PM

'16 BMW X5 Xdrive 35i M Sport
bi-xenons

my xenons are the factory units, but i will say that i requested that they be adjusted to aim a bit higher..when they came from the factory, i thought they were aimed too low...maybe i'll ask the service departement to adjust them back to factory specs at my next service.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:46 AM

ML350 2012 model
hello, i really appreciate your feedback on the working operation of Skyhook module, i am still having some issue understanding the princicple of operation, i have an ML350 2012 model with Adaptive systems without Airmatic and i remember seeing the module attached to the shock, i notice one day that the car is bouncing around the road and does not show any fault light on the dash board, it took me months to realised that the module has been stolen from the shock probably where i parked the vehicle.

The Question is that, how does this module work with my car without any switch connected to it, without direct wire connection to the module?
will it be possible for me to purchase this ADS Module only without the shock as Mercedez does not have a part number for the Module alone?

your feedback will be highly appreciated.