M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Memory seat linked to smart key?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Memory seat linked to smart key?

Hi all,

Just wondering, does the ML's smart key linked to the memory seat?

On my old W203 (c class), if I use key 1 to unlock the door and open it, the seat will move to whatever memory setting it is associated with that key, same as key 2.

Is it the same as the W164 ML?

Also, is there an option to slide the seat back and tilt the steering wheel up when exiting?

Thanks!
Old 01-14-2008, 01:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2021 GLS450, 2015 E250BT 4Matic, 2007 GL320CDI, 2005 SLK350, 2001 SLK320
I'll answer for the GL, but I'm 99% certain it applies to the ML also.

As of 2006, MB no longer ties seat settings to the key. They had too many complaints from people that didn't understand how it worked and who thought it was a defect.

You can program the steering wheel to go up when you exit, but the seat does not slide back. This is also an "improvement" that appeared in 2006. I have no explanation for this one.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:14 PM

Thanks mbslk,

this sucks.... hard to imagine technology is going backward!!! At least it should be an option that is programmable within the convenience menu!

As me and my wife share the car; it is very tedious to wait for the seat to move back (as she is quite short) every time I drove after her....
Old 01-14-2008, 02:46 PM

2008 ML550; 2005 SLK55
Originally Posted by joegrecoant
Thanks mbslk,

this sucks.... hard to imagine technology is going backward!!! At least it should be an option that is programmable within the convenience menu!

As me and my wife share the car; it is very tedious to wait for the seat to move back (as she is quite short) every time I drove after her....
Just ask her to please push your memory seat button when she's done driving and expects that you'll be the next one to drive. You do the same for her and everyone's happy!

In my experience, The memory tied to smart key ain't that great anyway. Unless you are in the habit of locking your car every time you park it in the garage, or you instinctively unlock a car that's already unlocked, the seat won't get reset anyway. Actually, I'm not sure if those systems do anything if the car's already unlocked.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:45 PM
Almost a Member!

ML320CDI 2007
They should have given us the choice; in the menu to enable it if we wanted to; considering it took as much programing effort to remove the feature as it would have to turn it on/off menu feature; it should have been "if there if you want it"
tk
Old 01-14-2008, 07:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
There is no "key dependency" however on my 06 ML500 the "easy exit" works great. Upon removing the key the wheel goes up and the seat goes back. The reverse is true when getting back in. It will not differentiate between the keys like my 05 E class which remembers the seat wheel and mirror settings for each of both keys. I believe they decontented the seat movements on later ML's and just retained the wheel movement. Quite frankly I am disapointed by all this decontenting and when I am ready to replace my ML is 2 years or my E in a year even though I really like MB products I will look elsewhere if they do not put some of this stuff back.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:40 PM
Almost a Member!

ML320CDI 2007
Sosh
I support your statements; this is bull pulling stuff out, not notice or explanation; I purchased based on a 2006 model year, and waited almost 1.6 years for my CDI to come in, so I was surprised to lean of the stuff that was missing; MB really needs to consider the path they are taking and if its really where they want to go.

Even the cheapest cars with memory seats that work off the key fobs dont seem to get user complaints! Even the fact that you have to press and hold the memory location for it to return to that location is stupid. at least make it so a single press will return to that location present!

They way MB has been building cars the last few years certainly does call into question what they plan to do, and all the cost cutting (for an expensive car) doesn't play well; when all the less expense cars are adding the value MB is removing.
tk
Old 01-16-2008, 11:54 AM

BMW M3
How do I do memory seats?

Guys;

Just got my 550 last week. It is great and Im a little disappointed that the key/memory seat feature I enjoyed on my BMW does not make its way into the 550. BUT when I push the memory button I have to hold it down until the seat gets into the correct position? How do I get it to work where I just push it once and it keeps moving on its own to the final memory position? Any help you guys can give is appreciated.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:06 PM

2008 ML550; 2005 SLK55
Originally Posted by AlpineM3Vert
Guys;

Just got my 550 last week. It is great and Im a little disappointed that the key/memory seat feature I enjoyed on my BMW does not make its way into the 550. BUT when I push the memory button I have to hold it down until the seat gets into the correct position? How do I get it to work where I just push it once and it keeps moving on its own to the final memory position? Any help you guys can give is appreciated.
You can't. That's the way it works, which is retarded in my opinion. Congrats on the new 550 though!
Old 01-16-2008, 12:20 PM

BMW M3
Thanks Brian

Darn. Well....something else to get used to with the shift from BMW to MB. In any event, I think I made a good choice and I should get used to the differences in due time. Thanks for the congrats.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:22 PM

BMW M3
WOW Brian...we have carbon copy cars!!

Mine is a P2, Black/Black, Ipod,trailer hitch vehicle. I almost ordered a P3, but stories here made me shy away from airmatic....but its funny...they are very similar.