M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

DIfferences between US and European CDIs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 06:09 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DIfferences between US and European CDIs?

I'm being transferred to Germany for a couple of years. I wrote MBUSA asking about whether Tele-Aid works there and about getting a European navigation DVD.

I wasn't surprised to discover that there's no Tele Aid in Europe, but was very surprised to find out that the Nav system installed in the European models is different from the US models and not compatable. Dang!!

Is anyone aware of anything else I need to be aware of as I take my 07 CDI over?
Old 01-25-2008, 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
There's no satellite radio in Europe.

Your trailer wiring connector won't work, and Euro hitches are 50mm which is not same as 2 inches.

Someone over there will LOVE those amber reflectors in your headlights.

Last edited by lkchris; 01-25-2008 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:29 PM
Almost a Member!

Thanks!

I don't know that I would ever need to tow--I have the hitch so I can tow my 300ZX each time I move, but it's VERY useful to know I can't anyway.

I knew about Satellite Radio--I will really miss it.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 SL55, 2015 A250d, 2016 GLC250d
European COMAND is completely different to the US system and the map disks are not interchangable, radio frequency spacing is also different. You'll have to swop them over, but its not a difficult job to do since I beleive the connectors are the same.

Remember you guys pay $1000s less than we do in Europe for ML/GL !

Also, I think in general your ride heights are different and the central locking pins hide away when locked on cars that are not for USA, whereas in the USA they always stick up a bit to help theives with packing tape open the doors! We also dont have the side indicator repeaters that are in the the bumpers on US mercedes, and you have a button inside the trunk to let you out when someone shut you in.
BTW, we have DAB radio here (digital terestrial)

Cheers

Richard

Last edited by Richard; 01-26-2008 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:37 PM
Almost a Member!

Richard

I don't quite understand the part about--ride height and central locking pins....and are theives a problem??

The satellite radio is really nice when driving cross country because you can listen to the same station, instead of having to find a new one every 120 miles or so. And I like having around a hundred choices, including BBC, which provides better news than I can get around here.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by kimcork
Richard

I don't quite understand the part about--ride height and central locking pins....and are theives a problem?
The US cars seem to be slightly higher of the ground than EU ones.

Yes, (a) thieves are a problem in many cities (i'm sure thats the same everywhere) and as the cars dont have deadlocks (i.e the door pins / inner handles are disabled when car is locked remotely) having pins you can pull up easily with some packing tape would mean very easy entry. (b) the doors unlock in an accident in anycase, so having access to the door pins once you break the glass in an emergency isnt that useful.

UK cars get increased theft protection over the default (glass break detection in the ML/GL/R for instance) - I'm sure other markets do as-well.

I don't suppose we drive that far regularly here - I know you US guys drive for miles given half a chance. DAB radio I beleive gives you the same ability here, and RDS also will re-tune to the same station on different frequencies (where it exists) I think. DAB radio is only available on the new S/CL and C classes at the moment.

Richard
Old 01-29-2008, 06:12 PM
Almost a Member!

Thanks, Richard!!
Old 01-29-2008, 09:42 PM

08 ML320 CDI
Richard, little off topic, but what is diesel running in the U.K.?
Old 02-19-2008, 04:59 AM
Almost a Member!

ML320CDI
I contacted Midcity, because I may have the same problem as my ML is going from Canada to Portugal and here is their answer:

"Hi phillip,

GPS still works with your nav, you will need to get a map disk for your new territory: those can be purchased direct from navteq. Sat radio if you have it will also not work. Radio will work but you may need to take the vehicle to the dealer to have the frequency spacing changed for your area. other than that it should be ok..."
Old 02-19-2008, 05:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Philport
I contacted Midcity, because I may have the same problem as my ML is going from Canada to Portugal and here is their answer:

"Hi phillip,

GPS still works with your nav, you will need to get a map disk for your new territory: those can be purchased direct from navteq. Sat radio if you have it will also not work. Radio will work but you may need to take the vehicle to the dealer to have the frequency spacing changed for your area. other than that it should be ok..."
I strongly beleive they are wrong - unless Navteq has started EU maps for the US MCS-II - and I doubt there is much of a market for those. EU ML Comand is made by Becker. US Comand is made by Alpine and a completely different system, so the mapping sofware is different.
[edit, the mapping software and the mapping data is on the DVD, the software is for the navigation processor, the data is the map itself]

They are right about Sat radio. I dont know if MCS-II (US comand) can be coded for European radio spacing. EU Comand can be coded for US spacing - Also US systems dont do RDS text, wheres EU ones do.

Diesel prices = £1.089 per litre = £4.356 per US gallon = approx $8.60 per US gallon

Richard

Last edited by Richard; 02-19-2008 at 05:29 AM.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:55 PM
Almost a Member!

ML320CDI
well, I think I better start looking for an used european comand and try to sell mine to someone in Canada or US.