M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

i need pads and rotors, help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wife's car2014 ml350
i need pads and rotors, help!

06 ML350 with 40k miles and we need pads and rotors, any ideas on where to buy these parts at a good deal? my next door neighbor is doing the install for me, thank god the dealer wanted $600 in labor or something and a left knut for the rest
Old 03-30-2008, 08:14 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2017 GLC300, 13 PorscheC4S, 12 Porsche Cayman S
Originally Posted by SEXYBEEST
06 ML350 with 40k miles and we need pads and rotors, any ideas on where to buy these parts at a good deal? my next door neighbor is doing the install for me, thank god the dealer wanted $600 in labor or something and a left knut for the rest
I would look online for the best deal in OEM pads. You are unlikely to get into noisy pads, etc. that way. I doubt you really need rotors. Do you have any indications of rotor warp?? If not, I would put new pads on and go! If you think the rotors are too worn, check the thickness and compare to specs.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Originally Posted by Flubadub
I would look online for the best deal in OEM pads. You are unlikely to get into noisy pads, etc. that way. I doubt you really need rotors. Do you have any indications of rotor warp?? If not, I would put new pads on and go! If you think the rotors are too worn, check the thickness and compare to specs.
Rotor thickness should be checked with a micrometer as a matter of course in a brake change. They just can't be eyeballed.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:42 PM

wife's car2014 ml350
dealer said i needed rotors, i know they are looking to make money but it's a leased auto, do i need to return it with new rotors or can i return it down to the bone. i have another 9 months till i return car and probably another 16k miles.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:43 PM

wife's car2014 ml350
any good online brake dealers guy's, honest and fair?
Old 03-30-2008, 10:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If the rotors are at or below min thickness per MB change them. Brakes are not to be fooled with. You stll plan to drive another 16K whick is almost half way to another pad change. The leasing co will not measure the rotors but for liability reasons it is likely the dealer would not do the job if you refuse them. Your neighbor and yourself could be held liable if an accident worthy of a tech inspection of the vehicle in the event of a serious accident finds them way out of spec.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:23 PM

My experience over 35 years of driving MB's is that the dealer will always want to change the rotors with the pads. My DIY experience is that it is rare that the rotors really need to be replaced or even turned at the first set of pads for the average driver. By the time you get thru the second set of pads, the rotors will be worn to the point they may be marginal to turn, but they will still be in spec.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:16 PM
Almost a Member!

08 ML320CDI
If you want to use aftermarket pads/rotors (which I would)
Try Dave Zeckhausen. I have used him for numerous BMW's.
Great to deal with
http://zeckhausen.com/

Dieselfan
Old 03-31-2008, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My experience over 35 years of driving MB's is that the dealer will always want to change the rotors with the pads. My DIY experience is that it is rare that the rotors really need to be replaced or even turned at the first set of pads for the average driver. By the time you get thru the second set of pads, the rotors will be worn to the point they may be marginal to turn, but they will still be in spec.
Interesting, my experience is just the opposite. The dealer I have used for years mics the rotors at each pad change. I do not recall having any first pad changes that required rotors but all second ones did. However micing the rotors is and should be part of the brake pad change wether or not it is a first or second change. You should go go from experience and guess. As for turning the rotors that is a no no and has been since my first benz in 1974. Turned rotors even if within spec will be out of spec when you are done and they will warp.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by sosh
Interesting, my experience is just the opposite. The dealer I have used for years mics the rotors at each pad change. I do not recall having any first pad changes that required rotors but all second ones did. However micing the rotors is and should be part of the brake pad change wether or not it is a first or second change. You should go go from experience and guess. As for turning the rotors that is a no no and has been since my first benz in 1974. Turned rotors even if within spec will be out of spec when you are done and they will warp.
I have had the dealer turn rotors under warrantee, so would be surprised they would end up out of spec. I am stuck with one dealer close and the next 100 miles away. Experience with the local dealer has been mixed. At times they have been great and other times I have wondered how they keep the franchise! Sounds like our experience is the about the same though: one set of rotors per two sets of pads.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 209 Likes on 186 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
My experience over 35 years of driving MB's is that the dealer will always want to change the rotors with the pads.
In that time you should know that newer cars have thinner rotors requiring more frequent changes.

Front rotors on our W211 were warped by 24K miles.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have had the dealer turn rotors under warrantee, so would be surprised they would end up out of spec. I am stuck with one dealer close and the next 100 miles away. Experience with the local dealer has been mixed. At times they have been great and other times I have wondered how they keep the franchise! Sounds like our experience is the about the same though: one set of rotors per two sets of pads.
I am amazed that an MB dealer would turn rotors. This is strictly against MB policy. They may have just lightly resurfaced them and told you they were turned. It would be impossible for them to collect on the warranty from MB for turning the rotors. I believe you are being mis lead by your dealer.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:54 PM

2011 E-class coupe, 2012 C-class
Im very pleased with my EBC Redstuff ceramic pads. Unlike the dirty original pads that will burn brakedust onto your alloys, a little dust appears but is easily washed away in the automatic carwash.
Overall I also get far better braking performance and no more need of elbow grease and acid based wheel cleaners everytime car needs to be washed.

So far I have done 6000km on these and no damage on the brakediscs either.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by sosh
I am amazed that an MB dealer would turn rotors. This is strictly against MB policy. They may have just lightly resurfaced them and told you they were turned. It would be impossible for them to collect on the warranty from MB for turning the rotors. I believe you are being mis lead by your dealer.
Keep in mind I bought my first MB in 1973. A lot has changed over the years, so I am sure you are correct about current practice. I think the car was a 1992 500SEL. That's the only one I ever had any brake issues with. I also remember it had factory bumper to bumper warranty and at an oil change just before the warranty expired, they presented me with a $600-$700 bill for pads and rotors all the way around. They didn't ask, they just did it because they said it was getting to be "time". I watch my pads and knew there was 30-40% life left and had to show them the paperwork to convince them this was a warrany job! There were some long faces in the shop. My guess is they made less money on the warranty jobs.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Keep in mind I bought my first MB in 1973. A lot has changed over the years, so I am sure you are correct about current practice. I think the car was a 1992 500SEL. That's the only one I ever had any brake issues with. I also remember it had factory bumper to bumper warranty and at an oil change just before the warranty expired, they presented me with a $600-$700 bill for pads and rotors all the way around. They didn't ask, they just did it because they said it was getting to be "time". I watch my pads and knew there was 30-40% life left and had to show them the paperwork to convince them this was a warrany job! There were some long faces in the shop. My guess is they made less money on the warranty jobs.
My first MB was in 1974 so we are about the same as far as that. It was a new 450SL. However the brake rotors have gotten thinner and lighter, but as I recall MB even back in the earlier years did not want the rotors turned and brake pads and rotors were not a warranty item so far as wear was concerned. Only for defects. I am almost certain that your dealer ate the pads and "turning" if in fact they did turn them. FYI, dealers make almost the same profit on warranty jobs as paid customer jobs. There were at one time numerous law suits against the mfg's by dealers to get to that point. At one time dealers were paid next to nothing for their labor and were only reimbursed at cost for parts. It has not been that way for many years. At this point the only difference to speak of is that in most cases payment for warranty work comes in as a credit against their parts account as opposed to cash.