M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

What the Heck is that sound??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 12:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 GLE 350 W4, 2016 C 300, 2012 E 350 W4 Lux, 2006 ML 350
Question What the Heck is that sound??

OK, I just came home from a nice little drive and decided to wash the ML. I'm sudzing her up when all of a sudden I hear a little "tone" comming from under the hood. It goes for a second or so and then stops.

Sounds like someone is blowing a single note on a harmonica, very faintly.

I open the hood and there it goes... tooooot.

Sounds like it's coming directly from the right side of the engine, facing the car.

The key is out of the ignition. Car is completely shut off. All doors closed.

Have anything to do with the car getting wet maybe??

I've never heard this before. What do you think? Thanks

Last edited by paulybagadonuts; 04-19-2008 at 12:50 PM.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 530
paulybagadonuts,

I'm hearing the same sound and the same place from the engine compartment. I was cleaning my wife ML550 wheels around midnight and the whining sound would not go away. I recorded the sound on my cell phone and now I have to make an appointment with the dealer. We only have 1200 miles on the truck
. The sound just started this past Monday.

CK530
Old 04-19-2008, 10:38 PM

ML500 AMG pkg
You might be hearing the A/C system equalizing, I have the same noise in my E class.
Old 04-20-2008, 03:07 AM

2007 ML 500
Originally Posted by paulybagadonuts
OK, I just came home from a nice little drive and decided to wash the ML. I'm sudzing her up when all of a sudden I hear a little "tone" comming from under the hood. It goes for a second or so and then stops.

Sounds like someone is blowing a single note on a harmonica, very faintly.

I open the hood and there it goes... tooooot.

Sounds like it's coming directly from the right side of the engine, facing the car.

The key is out of the ignition. Car is completely shut off. All doors closed.

Have anything to do with the car getting wet maybe??

I've never heard this before. What do you think? Thanks
do you have the factory navi system? if so, that high pitched sound is the car trying to get a fix on its location and its having a hard time since it can't get a good signal from the gps receiver.

if the car is out in the open, there is almost never that sound since it has the location locked on. but if its in your garage or any other place the signal is low... you will hear it
Old 04-20-2008, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Originally Posted by vinceching
do you have the factory navi system? if so, that high pitched sound is the car trying to get a fix on its location and its having a hard time since it can't get a good signal from the gps receiver.

if the car is out in the open, there is almost never that sound since it has the location locked on. but if its in your garage or any other place the signal is low... you will hear it
No way!! If the car is off there is no power to the nav. In addition there should be no noise from the nav/command even with the thing turned on. You really do not have even a basic understanding of how things work.

Last edited by sosh; 04-20-2008 at 03:36 PM.
Old 04-20-2008, 05:07 PM

2007 ML 500
Originally Posted by sosh
No way!! If the car is off there is no power to the nav. In addition there should be no noise from the nav/command even with the thing turned on. You really do not have even a basic understanding of how things work.
lol. then o mighty one please tell me what that sound is.

because i brought this issue up and the factory field rep from germany who was standing next to my car when the noise came out. and what did he say? he said what i posted. and to add he said thats why when you start the car in an open area, your map gps shows your location immediately. the car draws power to the gps receiver to get its location even when the car is off.

and the op is talking about a high pitched sound you can only hear from outside the car. we aren't talking about the noise from the inside of the car. you clearly lack the basic understanding of reading comprehension

and you have to be stupid to think there is not power being supplied to the car. the car draws a little bit for the instrument cluster to keep the clock moving, the led for the anti theft, and for the gps receiver.

oh, and you must be old as well because when the car is running, there IS a humming sound that comes from the command as the dvd inside is spinning. don't believe me? turn your car on, and press the mute button, and put your ear next to the command and you can hear it.

if you can't, then you are old and deaf as all ml's and gl's do it.

again, you may think i don't have an understanding and thats your opinion. my opinion of you from our previous posts is a person who always likes to make comparisons to airplanes vs cars, and a person who doesn't seem to understand that service A is a glorified oil change and a person who likes to pay $300+ for that bs service.

looking forward to your response with of course some airplane reference
Old 04-20-2008, 07:05 PM
Almost a Member!

06 COROLLA 140I
Originally Posted by vinceching
lol. then o mighty one please tell me what that sound is.

because i brought this issue up and the factory field rep from germany who was standing next to my car when the noise came out. and what did he say? he said what i posted. and to add he said thats why when you start the car in an open area, your map gps shows your location immediately. the car draws power to the gps receiver to get its location even when the car is off.

and the op is talking about a high pitched sound you can only hear from outside the car. we aren't talking about the noise from the inside of the car. you clearly lack the basic understanding of reading comprehension

and you have to be stupid to think there is not power being supplied to the car. the car draws a little bit for the instrument cluster to keep the clock moving, the led for the anti theft, and for the gps receiver.

oh, and you must be old as well because when the car is running, there IS a humming sound that comes from the command as the dvd inside is spinning. don't believe me? turn your car on, and press the mute button, and put your ear next to the command and you can hear it.

if you can't, then you are old and deaf as all ml's and gl's do it.

again, you may think i don't have an understanding and thats your opinion. my opinion of you from our previous posts is a person who always likes to make comparisons to airplanes vs cars, and a person who doesn't seem to understand that service A is a glorified oil change and a person who likes to pay $300+ for that bs service.

looking forward to your response with of course some airplane reference

+ 1
Old 04-20-2008, 09:32 PM

BMW 530
Thanks vinceching for your reply.

We do parked our ML in the garage. The funny thing is the sound just started this past Monday. We had the truck for 2 1/2 months. So, according to the MB field rep, this is nothing to worry about?

Agreed with the humming noise from the nav.

CK530
Old 04-21-2008, 01:44 PM

2007 ML 500
Originally Posted by CK530
Thanks vinceching for your reply.

We do parked our ML in the garage. The funny thing is the sound just started this past Monday. We had the truck for 2 1/2 months. So, according to the MB field rep, this is nothing to worry about?

Agreed with the humming noise from the nav.

CK530
yes, according to the factory rep from germany... this isn't an issue.

but you have to wait for sosh to answer as he apparently knows everything and more over the factory rep who by his job definition is supposed to be the go to guy for all of the US's mb techs. these guys know and understand mb's like the backs of their hands... and sosh, remember these are the guys who the dealerships turn to when they can't fix a car.

oh and i suspect he hasn't posted yet because he's asking his dealer to confirm what the sound is.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:24 PM
Almost a Member!

2008 ML320 CDI
Mine too

My 08CDI makes hissing noises when the suspension settles.

Scared the **** out of the cat the other day!

To bad I can get the ML to do that when the cat is walking across the hood.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:43 PM
Almost a Member!

haven't seen sosh get slashed like that in awhile!!!! dang

sosh doesn't mind paying $300 for a glorified oil change, he's got money to "burn" as they say.. by the way sosh how much is an oil change on your P51 mustang??
Old 04-22-2008, 02:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
You newcomers to Mercedes-Benz will discover that a Mercedes is always doing something, off or on. There is always a noise, some type of adjustment or some type of system checking going on somewhere. Everytime I open/unlike the door the comand system's fan starts, just one of the many things going on I'm sure. If you aren't noticing a problem and the car isn't telling you there is a problem I wouldn't worry about it. These noise threads seem to border on ridiculous at times with everyone who posts hearing the same exact noise. Gotta love the internet.

M
Old 04-22-2008, 07:30 AM

07' ML350
Originally Posted by roughyear

sosh doesn't mind paying $300 for a glorified oil change, he's got money to "burn" as they say.. by the way sosh how much is an oil change on your P51 mustang??
hahaha.....he is indeed the all knowing god of this forum!vinceching
Old 04-24-2008, 08:47 PM

2007 ML 500
Originally Posted by roughyear

i wonder where that guy went. i mean, he was so sure he was right and now he's no where to be found on this post.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I am here, was in Europe for a few days. I have confirmed that there is no power to the GPS with the vehicle shut off. The noise you here assuming you have nav from the Command unit with power on the car is the DVD nav drive. The reason it comes right up to your location when you start up is because it remembers where it was shut down. YUou can prove my facts by shutting the car off, towing it to another location and then seeing where the nav is when you first turn it on.. The noise from under the hood where this post started could be a couple of things. I am not certain but there could be an E box fan like the W163 that runs after shut down and/or the electric recirc pump for coolant like the W163. Could also be the Airmatic but I believe that a door must be opened or closed to start that leveling process.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:47 PM

2007 ML 500
I am here, was in Europe for a few days. I have confirmed that there is no power to the GPS with the vehicle shut off. The noise you here assuming you have nav from the Command unit with power on the car is the DVD nav drive. The reason it comes right up to your location when you start up is because it remembers where it was shut down. YUou can prove my facts by shutting the car off, towing it to another location and then seeing where the nav is when you first turn it on.. The noise from under the hood where this post started could be a couple of things. I am not certain but there could be an E box fan like the W163 that runs after shut down and/or the electric recirc pump for coolant like the W163. Could also be the Airmatic but I believe that a door must be opened or closed to start that leveling process.
lol, you just can't admit that you were wrong can you?

your argument about the car remembering its locations is not correct. and you can prove your example is flawed because if you take the car into a deep underground parking area, or somewhere were the car is shielded from getting gps signals... do you know what the command will show?

it will show the " please wait ... navigation intializing..." prompt. and it won't show the map commands or menu options until it does find a gps signal.

so again, the car will not remember its last location.

as for the other things you mentioned... its neither of them as well. our cars don't have an after run fan that turns on when the car is off. and it is 100% not anything to do with having airmatic. my friends don't have airmatic and they have the same sounds. and again... its the damn gps receiver trying to get a fix on the cars location so when you start up it will know where it is. and again, if you ask the people who have heard this sound... everyone is either in a garage, or in a location that has no gps signal.

i guess since you get supplied holy grail information from your dealer who seems to like to bend your *** over and rape you on services like A, B, C, etc in the tune of $300 + for simple oil changes you will never trust someone who pays $80 for my oil change with mobil 1 syn oil and filter.

so now i know that you will never agree to this diagnosis from the factory rep because if you did, it would only mean that you were wrong. and you of all people can't be wrong... ever.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:19 AM

C230K ML320 CDI
To vinceching

Just let it be.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This guy will never leave anything alone!! For his info my confirmation of my statement came from an engineer at the company who designed and manufactures the wiring harness for the ML.He can believe what he wants I will waste no more of my time with him. Its also none of his concern what I spend on maintenence and who does it. I believe in taking care of what I own and to the mfg's reccomendation. He obviously does not or can't afford to do so.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:45 PM

2007 ML 500
This guy will never leave anything alone!! For his info my confirmation of my statement came from an engineer at the company who designed and manufactures the wiring harness for the ML.He can believe what he wants I will waste no more of my time with him. Its also none of his concern what I spend on maintenence and who does it. I believe in taking care of what I own and to the mfg's reccomendation. He obviously does not or can't afford to do so.
lol, i can't leave anything alone? you seem to be the one who creates double standards and crys when someone stands up to your bs. i got tired of the smug crap you post making as if you were better than other people.

and again, you bring up the issue with money. why is that? you did the same to blue monster going as far as insulting him about his income calling it questionable.., https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w164/187333-well-does-actually-work.html

and i posted in that thread... "i was only 24 when i made $278,000 in real estate commissions"

so really, money isn't an issue when that is the net amount i made. i simply don't like to pay $300 + for an oil change... dealer *** raping isn't my thing.

i guess if mercedes told you service a costs $1500, that you would pay for it. am i right? so sosh, at what point would you take your head out of your *** and realize it is a simple oil change?
Old 04-27-2008, 08:48 PM

2007 ML 500
Originally Posted by Hamlin
Just let it be.
no, i won't just let it be.

if you don't want to read the post... don't click on it.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Cha Ching!

M