M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

08 ML350 Factory Nav install with PICS (under $690)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 02:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 Ml350
Lightbulb 08 ML350 Factory Nav install with PICS (under $690)

Hey guys I just wanted to post some pics from my newly upgraded 2008 ML350. My wife wanted badly the Navigation unit so I upgraded her from the non nav to the Mercedes Benz Comand. The car was bought with 5K miles and it was a smoking deal... Under $37K with the 100K warranty on it so we got it with no nav.

I want to say no way I could have done this without the great help of 2 members. AM_Beagle man was the man, he great. He gave a how to and pics and he put up with my ignorant questions. When I did the install and wiring I was shocked he didn't think I was a complete moron with the questions because it was SO EASY! The next member that also helped wonderfully was from XJ9 I want to say thank you 2 both of you!

Finding the parts:

First I got a Comand unit from Ebay. It was a man that had all positive feedback from Lithuania. He imported a few of the new ML's and the American factory nav was replaced with the Euro models. I trusted him, and I got lucky to get a perfect unit for $575 shipped. Next I bought the factory part from Mercedes Benz called an "antenna splitter" it was in stock at my dealer, and they raped me at $65.00 when I think it normally is sold for under $40.00 everywhere else. Next am_beagle had a copy of the NAV disc he sold me very reasonably and within a couple days it was all in the car easily.

Swapping units:

I removed the factory deck from the dash, I thought this would be a pain in the a$$ and it was supremely easy. Simply remove the ashtray (2 small screws), then removed the ashtray. Pull gently on the AC cover panel that is below the deck, and it popped off easily. Next there are 2 aluminum locks that simply pull down and there it is, the unit slides right out!

I then installed the new unit back it went in as easy as it came out. There is a small blue plug already back there that clips in the factory nav unit!

Antenna Splitter:

Next was the installation of the antenna splitter (pic below). Lift up the rear seat (drivers side) to expose the Telaid box. There is a blue antenna connector that you follow back it clips together another wire (making 2 ends) and there is a wire taped up just sitting there waiting for you to plug in making a total of 3 wires. One will be the in, and 2 will be the out of the splitter.

First the 2 that are connected together you disconnect from each other. This will leave you with 2 ends with connectors on them. The one lead from the Telaid box enters the splitter on the single side (in), and the other end you disconnected a minute ago connects to the black side of the other side of the splitter. This leaves you one wire (it was sitting there taped up) this connects to the final red lead of the splitter on the out side.

I am not sure I explained it well but believe me its super easy when you open that up and check it out. There are no connectors to buy, no tape needed, no wire cutting or splicing. The lil splitter even fits nicely in 2 holes that are there already for u!

Both members told me I will need the unit flashed by MB but the unit seems to be working. Does anyone know if the flash from the Dealer is needed for sure no matter what? I will have her play with it tomorrow and see how it works.

If anyone has questions PM me!

Thank you any comments are appreciated.

Old 07-12-2008, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 ML350; 07' Acura RDX; 05'FX45; 03'Murano
Thumbs up Good life, isn't it ?

HA HA, Congrats........and enjoy it (in fact, it's wife who enjoys most, but you take credits)
Old 07-12-2008, 07:16 PM

2008 Ml350
I guess no one really wanted to see these pics or know about the install? Or must be old news...

Oh well, at least they are here in case anyone going forward has a question!

Wonder what the old factory deck is worth?
Old 07-13-2008, 04:11 PM

2007 ML 500
Originally Posted by ml3504me
I guess no one really wanted to see these pics or know about the install? Or must be old news...

Oh well, at least they are here in case anyone going forward has a question!

Wonder what the old factory deck is worth?
i was just wondering... where exactly is the factory gps receiver located?
Old 07-13-2008, 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Glad you were able to accomplish this economically. However I question the story told you by the seller of the unit. That part of the world is a destination for vehicles stolen in the US and shipped in containers. You may have unknowingly purchased a unit from a stolen vehicle. Its quite unlikely that someone would purchase a few ML's for export. EBay has been called the worlds largest fencing operation and is commonly used for such transactions.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:17 PM

2008 Ml350
Originally Posted by vinceching
The deck in the dash is the place where the DVD drive is. That is all you need in order for the nav to work. And the disc, and the antenna splitter.

There is no separate brain unit like some needed in the past.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:18 PM

2008 Ml350
Originally Posted by sosh
Glad you were able to accomplish this economically. However I question the story told you by the seller of the unit. That part of the world is a destination for vehicles stolen in the US and shipped in containers. You may have unknowingly purchased a unit from a stolen vehicle. Its quite unlikely that someone would purchase a few ML's for export. EBay has been called the worlds largest fencing operation and is commonly used for such transactions.
He had over 175 positive feedback, and had sole like 5 in the past. I doubt they were stolen then shipped to Lithuania. If they were stolen then that ok too I guess. As long as it works I care less really.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:36 PM

07' ML350
the USA has the cheapest cars in the world, MLs cost 60-70% cheaper on average. So its common practice to import US spec cars, and if your country has no MB or Lexus or Infinity sold locally, the best and only place to get one is to import from the US.

i doubt Lithuanians would buy $100k ++ stolen MLs. thats stupid. Unless they were stolen brandnew from dealer lots????? duhhhh...

so im 99% sure your command wasnt stolen.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:20 PM

Suzuki Burgman Executive
you kidding me you have no idea how many people send ml's to europe i sent my w163 2002 ml320 to poland my w163 ml350 after my accident, i have friends that send ml320 cdi's they but sell to spouse than ship because mb wont let you ship it out that way because they charge double for the cdi's theyre a base ml in the uk none diesel is 36k pounds wich is equal to 72k usd do you not see any money to be made in this buisnes. do me a favor and hit youre self with the stupid stick

not to mention you have to show the title and they screen the vin to see if anything has been reported
Old 07-13-2008, 10:37 PM

2008 Ml350
Back on topic here!

When I put the unit in the car last week, I accidentally laid it on a screwdriver and put a lil scratch in the LCD face. You can prolly tell in the pic its on the top of the screen right middle.

So with more guidance from Am Beagle I took the unit I scratched out of the car, I removed the DVD drive, and I inserted it into my wife's original head unit. I am so pissed I did something like that normally I am so careful with my electronics. All is good now, but I doubt there is a market for a marked non nav deck.

Oh well lesson learned.

Anyway its all in and good, wife loves it...
Old 07-14-2008, 02:59 AM

2007 ML 500
no, its not far fetched. i question why you have to always input stupid comments like this. just because the original poster didn't get *** raped by buying through the dealer doesn't mean its fenced or stolen goods.

stuff like that happens all the time when you import or export cars.

a lot of cars that come from europe have bumpers that are shorter than US counterparts.

take for example audi's bumpers from europe and usa.

and besides, even if it was a different story there are still legimate reasons why there could be a new or like new navi unit.

people total cars and part them out. even new ones with less than 100 miles can get totaled by a freak accident.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:02 AM

2007 ML 500
Originally Posted by ml3504me
He had over 175 positive feedback, and had sole like 5 in the past. I doubt they were stolen then shipped to Lithuania. If they were stolen then that ok too I guess. As long as it works I care less really.
don't mind sosh. he is like a troll who pops up with stupid crap like this all the time.

just search his posts and you will see.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:43 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by vinceching
If you meant the GPS receiver antenna, it's in the antenna combi on the rear roof together with AM/FM, TeleAid...the combi is very clumsy but neat, and there is another FM antenna booster in the rear hatch of the Ml. I can have very good FM signals in my work place underground garage.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:46 PM

Suzuki Burgman Executive
Originally Posted by am_beagle
If you meant the GPS receiver antenna, it's in the antenna combi on the rear roof together with AM/FM, TeleAid...the combi is very clumsy but neat, and there is another FM antenna booster in the rear hatch of the Ml. I can have very good FM signals in my work place underground garage.
how does the rdx compare to the ml?
Old 07-17-2008, 09:34 PM

Red face

Originally Posted by audi_guy
how does the rdx compare to the ml?
They are really different, two separate classes. I love the RDX whenever the turbo kicks on. That's it. It's kinda heavy at 3,900 lbs for a small CUV, with a 2.3 liter I4. The best part is its Smart Handling All Wheel Drive. It's amazing precise and stable.
The ML350 is more mature. Strong enough, fast enough, also heavy thou.
I miss my 2003 Nissan Murano with the first CVT in CUVs. It's quiet, fast and economic. (24mpg).

Old 07-17-2008, 10:16 PM

2008 Ml350
Not sure if anyone would be interested, but I have a comand unit with no nav... For sale $250.00 takes it.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:04 PM

ML 350 US
Originally Posted by BruNo
the USA has the cheapest cars in the world, MLs cost 60-70% cheaper on average. So its common practice to import US spec cars, and if your country has no MB or Lexus or Infinity sold locally, the best and only place to get one is to import from the US.

i doubt Lithuanians would buy $100k ++ stolen MLs. thats stupid. Unless they were stolen brandnew from dealer lots????? duhhhh...

so im 99% sure your command wasnt stolen.

EXACTLY!!
Take me for an example! I bought my car in NY and as soon as it reached my country, I installed the european navi head, since it is NOT working here. Now, I have this US head sitting in my garage and I am about to take it to the ebay, in order to sell it for a fraction of the original price.
This doesnt make me a thief or anything like this. I am about to sell to someone and make him happy for his cheap buy.
That is all...
DONT be sooooo suspicious about everything...

Zisis
Old 08-22-2008, 07:47 PM

2008 ML320, 2004 M3, 1999 S500, 1998 740iL
I'm on the same boat as you, I just recently picked up a ML350 on the cheap but brand new. The car has no navigation, but has a screen (it has an option for GPS but when clicked it reads no connection). Do you have any idea of what parts I need to add the feature?
Old 08-22-2008, 09:13 PM

Thumbs up Upgrade to Navi

Originally Posted by absolutealex
I'm on the same boat as you, I just recently picked up a ML350 on the cheap but brand new. The car has no navigation, but has a screen (it has an option for GPS but when clicked it reads no connection). Do you have any idea of what parts I need to add the feature?
All you need first is read the very first post in this link from ml3504me. good luck and happy upgrading and ebaying.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:46 PM

ML500 (W164)
I did it! Thanks..

Thank you for good information & pics...I just followed your instruction, and it works.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:26 PM

2008 Ml350
You are welcome glad I could help...
Old 11-15-2009, 08:40 PM

2009 ML320 BluTech
Hey everyone, I found this information very helpful! I am trying to upgrade my 2009 ML320 which currently doesn't have a GPS system but does have a DVD player and screen. Is it the same process as was described above for the 2008 model? Also, I wanted to know if it is not too much more work to add a back-up camera to this unit. I know that it is an additional option, but am not sure if it is a possible/easy upgrade.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Rickster550
Hey everyone, I found this information very helpful! I am trying to upgrade my 2009 ML320 which currently doesn't have a GPS system but does have a DVD player and screen. Is it the same process as was described above for the 2008 model? Also, I wanted to know if it is not too much more work to add a back-up camera to this unit. I know that it is an additional option, but am not sure if it is a possible/easy upgrade.
@Rickster, STOP thinking about this immediately.
From MY 2009, the ML use a totally different kind of GPS, not DVD driven. It uses hard drive NTG 2.5 head unit.
Please do a research in this forum for your concerns, perhaps in other MB model-year, like 211 or something I am not sure, but they had been used before the 2009 W 164.
Hope this help.