M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

New Nav Disc for 2007-2008 Models

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 206 Likes on 183 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
New Nav Disc for 2007-2008 Models

Note on Navteq site there's a new Nav disc dated Oct 2009 for 2007-2008 models.

Anyone got one yet?

http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INT...gationMenu=YES
Old 10-14-2009, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 ML 320
Ill check with my local dealer today and get back to you. They probably dont know since they are one of the worst dealerships.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by Vernl
Yes, got mine about 10 days ago....dealer says its not in the system yet and thinks at least a month or more to get it so I ordered mine from navtech and had it in my hands in 36 hours
Could you tell us the Mercedes part numbers printed on the back of the box?
Old 10-15-2009, 10:43 PM

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
GLE580, Cardinal Red
Originally Posted by lkchris
Note on Navteq site there's a new Nav disc dated Oct 2009 for 2007-2008 models.

Anyone got one yet?

Sorry, but paying $249 for a sadly limited 'map update' is one of the less intelligent things going. You can buy a new Garmin for that amount, with a dramatically better interface, and much better database of points of interest. You can then buy a map update package, for about $120 which gives you up to 4 updates a year for as long as you own the device, of a MUCH better system than the MB folks chose to put in their cars. Has always been very annoying to me that the MB of of navigation systems was so bad.... But I guess most MB owners have never actually used one of the 'good' navigation systems, so they think the MB one is acceptable.

If I use my Garmin, I can enter my destination MUCH faster than the MB system, and it has a dramatically better number of points of interest. To be fair, the base navigation of finding an address is not significantly different, but the ease of use and points of interest indicate that the MB folks have chosen an inferior product.

Last edited by tomb73; 10-15-2009 at 10:45 PM. Reason: correct typos
Old 10-16-2009, 12:48 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
Hey, it's what came with the car, so we have to live with it. I have a Garmin portable for the wife's ride, and it is better and has a touchscreen, but having a portable Nav in a car with a built in system doesn't look to "cool"

Would be interested in the update info if someone can post it. (Part #'s etc.)
Old 10-16-2009, 07:56 AM

GLE580, Cardinal Red
Originally Posted by dgiturbo
Hey, it's what came with the car, so we have to live with it. I have a Garmin portable for the wife's ride, and it is better and has a touchscreen, but having a portable Nav in a car with a built in system doesn't look to "cool".
Understood, but I find that after using my Nuvi that the frustration of the MB interface and the absence of key points of interest I search on makes having the Garmin in my cup holder a much better alternative than fumbling with the built in system. Will occasionally just turn on the map if I am looking for an intersection or something, though even there their choice of street name displays often makes even that difficult. Try searching in your MB system for Starbucks as a point of interest. And there are decent Nuvi options at this time that are about the same cost as the MB map update. With the perpetual map update capability for half the cost of ONE MB update.

Actually took a picture of my Garmin duct-taped over the MB display and sent it to Garmin and MB customer service in a note with the subject "Finally got my 2008 Mercedes Benz navigation system to be as good as a Garmin", but never heard back <grin>.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:07 PM

08 ML 320
Originally Posted by tomb73
Sorry, but paying $249 for a sadly limited 'map update' is one of the less intelligent things going. You can buy a new Garmin for that amount, with a dramatically better interface, and much better database of points of interest. You can then buy a map update package, for about $120 which gives you up to 4 updates a year for as long as you own the device, of a MUCH better system than the MB folks chose to put in their cars. Has always been very annoying to me that the MB of of navigation systems was so bad.... But I guess most MB owners have never actually used one of the 'good' navigation systems, so they think the MB one is acceptable.

If I use my Garmin, I can enter my destination MUCH faster than the MB system, and it has a dramatically better number of points of interest. To be fair, the base navigation of finding an address is not significantly different, but the ease of use and points of interest indicate that the MB folks have chosen an inferior product.
Buying a $250 navigation unit is for the cheap people who buy the civic's, camry's hyundai's, etc. Who think payed the few thousands for a nice buily in navi is just too much when they are already paying 20K+ for the car hahaha. Putting one of those unites in a benz is just wrong. We all know the benz navigation units suck. I just use mine for show and is nice thing when selling time arrives.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:17 PM

GLE580, Cardinal Red
Originally Posted by 08-ML320
We all know the benz navigation units suck. I just use mine for show and is nice thing when selling time arrives.
My point exactly... 'We all knnow the benz navigation units suck'. In fact, they are woefully inadequate when compared to options like a Garmin. Remember that this is "the Mercedes Benz" of navigation units. That actually used to mean something, but what it means today is something very different.... So now I have to wonder, what other things that I typically assumed about MB are not accurate? if they can have such a horrendously bad technology option as one of their main interface options with customers, what is actually going on under the covers in the engine/transmission/drive train/safety systems? There was a time when MB was the class act of the automotive industry. Given their extremely poor choice of navigation, obviously chosen simply to save money, what else are they choosing to 'save money'? Sigh, the 'Mercedes Benz' as the quality of the industry is seriously damaged by obvious cheap choices in significant options that are key aspects of the interface between the vehicle and the customer. If your choice of radio is cheap, what does that say about your other choices? If the navigation system, which is becoming quite standard, is sub - par, dramatically inferior to much less expensive systems, what does that say about your vehicle? This is seriously damaging to the MB reputation. It will likely shift my view of what is a 'quality' vehicle, likely to something Japanese.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
If your choice of radio is cheap, what does that say about your other choices?
Not a damn thing.

BTW, the COMANDs in Alabama Mercedes are Alpine, i.e. Japanese.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:25 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
Actually took a picture of my Garmin duct-taped over the MB display and sent it to Garmin and MB customer service in a note with the subject "Finally got my 2008 Mercedes Benz navigation system to be as good as a Garmin", but never heard back <grin>.

I wish I had thought of that!!
Old 10-31-2009, 04:48 PM

MBs
Originally Posted by lkchris
Could you tell us the Mercedes part numbers printed on the back of the box?

http://www.benzblogger.com
Old 10-31-2009, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Thanks Wolfgang.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 ML350 BlueTec.
To be fair......

My point exactly... 'We all knnow the benz navigation units suck'. In fact, they are woefully inadequate when compared to options like a Garmin. Remember that this is "the Mercedes Benz" of navigation units. That actually used to mean something, but what it means today is something very different.... So now I have to wonder, what other things that I typically assumed about MB are not accurate? if they can have such a horrendously bad technology option as one of their main interface options with customers, what is actually going on under the covers in the engine/transmission/drive train/safety systems? There was a time when MB was the class act of the automotive industry. Given their extremely poor choice of navigation, obviously chosen simply to save money, what else are they choosing to 'save money'? Sigh, the 'Mercedes Benz' as the quality of the industry is seriously damaged by obvious cheap choices in significant options that are key aspects of the interface between the vehicle and the customer. If your choice of radio is cheap, what does that say about your other choices? If the navigation system, which is becoming quite standard, is sub - par, dramatically inferior to much less expensive systems, what does that say about your vehicle? This is seriously damaging to the MB reputation. It will likely shift my view of what is a 'quality' vehicle, likely to something Japanese.
l was never thrilled with the "navi" in my last 06 M-Class, but l have to say it is far better in my 2010 ML350....l will agree, that it is hard to claim that their is no other then a Mercedes-Benz, then you install a inferior part in that vehicle...l contend the "bean counters", have alot of say in the final analysis...My theory is this, the after-market nav systems are quite good, but that's all they make...nav systems....Mercedes makes vehicles..could you imagine if every item in that vehicle was the "best of the best"...our M-Classes would probably cost $125,000 dollars !!!!!! Perfection is a nice idea, but not realistic...l have been building and QCing Toyota's and Lexus' for almost 13 years, at the end of the day..the budget is the budget.....Every car owner probably has a gripe or two about thier own personal vehicles, Benzes are no different....it doesn't mean, l won't buy another one !!!!
Old 11-01-2009, 08:09 AM

GLE580, Cardinal Red
Originally Posted by C-rod
l was never thrilled with the "navi" in my last 06 M-Class, but l have to say it is far better in my 2010 ML350....l will agree, that it is hard to claim that their is no other then a Mercedes-Benz, then you install a inferior part in that vehicle...l contend the "bean counters", have alot of say in the final analysis...My theory is this, the after-market nav systems are quite good, but that's all they make...nav systems....Mercedes makes vehicles..could you imagine if every item in that vehicle was the "best of the best"...our M-Classes would probably cost $125,000 dollars !!!!!! Perfection is a nice idea, but not realistic...l have been building and QCing Toyota's and Lexus' for almost 13 years, at the end of the day..the budget is the budget.....Every car owner probably has a gripe or two about thier own personal vehicles, Benzes are no different....it doesn't mean, l won't buy another one !!!!
Understood, so then how can your Toyota and Lexus vehicles, some of them FAR less expensive, have dramatically superior nav systems? Clearly this is a choice by the auto manufacturer, also clearly MB CHOSE an inferior capability, when good options are shipping in other less valuable vehicles.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 ML350 BlueTec.
l agree....

Understood, so then how can your Toyota and Lexus vehicles, some of them FAR less expensive, have dramatically superior nav systems? Clearly this is a choice by the auto manufacturer, also clearly MB CHOSE an inferior capability, when good options are shipping in other less valuable vehicles.
100%....no excuse for it..........but would l buy a Lexus over a Benz just because the navi is far better..the answer would be no...A vehicle purchase is a total package deal for me...l don't know many vehicles that satisfy every need of a consumer...l like the Lexus RX350's navi system, and l like the rear seats that recline...but it doesn't have a heated steering wheel or rear heated seats, as my 2010 ML350 has...So l always believe it is a compromise...That's my 2 cents....
Old 11-01-2009, 09:50 PM

MBs
Here's some news. Toyota/Lexus will switch to the new MB system, starting in 2011 in Europe.

Blurb:

"As shown on slide eight, our track record of successful execution and innovation also earned us several significant multi-year audio and infotainment awards during the quarter. We announced in early September that Daimler had selected Harman to provide the premium infotainment systems for its future S Class models and C class models. At C class models, where we took business back from a major Japanese competitor, I must add.

We also announced that BMW has selected Harman as its supplier for infotainment across its full range of future models, including Mini Cooper and Rolls Royce. I will remind you that these new repeat orders come on the heels of our successful platform launches. Today I'm pleased to share some breaking news that Harman has been selected by Toyota to provide infotainment system for its vehicles sold in Europe beginning in 2011.

Ladies and gentlemen, let me stress this, this is history in making. This is a real game changer and marks the first application of our new scalable, next-generation infotainment system. I must also add to it, this is the first time a non-Japanese company has been awarded an infotainment business to go on Japanese automaker. I'm very proud of it.

In addition, we have expanded our long-term branded audio relationship with Toyota and have been selected to provide our premium JBL branded audio for Toyota 4Runner and Land Cruiser models in the US, Europe and Middle East.

Well, while others were cutting back, our continued investment in technology and a strong execution have earned us more than $10 billion in awarded automotive business. As our Toyota infotainment award evidences, we have completed the successful market introduction of Harman’s scalable next-generation infotainment platform.

During this launch, my team and I personally met with our current and prospective European, Asian and US customers. To recognize China's growing importance to the global automotive industry, we choose Shanghai as our global launch location, and we are continuing the roll-out across Asia, Europe and the United States.

This new system was developed in record time by drawing upon our expertise in the US and Germany and leveraging the engineering and speed, I add, the speed of our development centers in China and India."

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1700...all-transcript