M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

How Would You Pimp your ML?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w164
How Would You Pimp your ML?

We just got delivery on our ML550. As multi-generational MB drivers, we love the car, but are disappointed by the little quality slippage indicators - cheap door locks/seatbelt buckles, that sort of thing. Plastic just creeping into the interior...

Anyway, we've decided to give our ML a little love, find some nice upgrades for things, potentially, just to offset that a bit and make it feel special. One thing we definitely want to do (the car is black, by the way) is put black 20" Brabus rims on it. We're getting a mod for VIM and we're getting FLIR, because my wife and I both have night-restriction drivers licenses, plus with infrared display in-dash, I can pretend I'm, like, James Bond or something. That one is for my 5-year-old self who would've crapped his pants at the very idea of that.

Anyway, we're also taking the ML550 letters off the back. Ditto this stupid, giant sticker the dealer put on our $70k car like we paid for the privilege of being a mobile commercial for their ****ty dealership. Also, we're factoring the cost of traffic tickets for not having a front license plate into our yearly budget. No, we're not ****ing up the face of the car with a giant white rectangle; the rear's bad enough.

Our ML550 is the P2 package plus a few other things - we deliberately didn't get leather this time, got MB-Tex and don't want to change that, but I'm curious what else you guys would do to give her some bling-factor?

_Mike
Old 11-28-2009, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by mverta
We just got delivery on our ML550. As multi-generational MB drivers, we love the car, but are disappointed by the little quality slippage indicators - cheap door locks/seatbelt buckles, that sort of thing. Plastic just creeping into the interior...

Anyway, we've decided to give our ML a little love, find some nice upgrades for things, potentially, just to offset that a bit and make it feel special. One thing we definitely want to do (the car is black, by the way) is put black 20" Brabus rims on it. We're getting a mod for VIM and we're getting FLIR, because my wife and I both have night-restriction drivers licenses, plus with infrared display in-dash, I can pretend I'm, like, James Bond or something. That one is for my 5-year-old self who would've crapped his pants at the very idea of that.

Anyway, we're also taking the ML550 letters off the back. Ditto this stupid, giant sticker the dealer put on our $70k car like we paid for the privilege of being a mobile commercial for their ****ty dealership. Also, we're factoring the cost of traffic tickets for not having a front license plate into our yearly budget. No, we're not ****ing up the face of the car with a giant white rectangle; the rear's bad enough.

Our ML550 is the P2 package plus a few other things - we deliberately didn't get leather this time, got MB-Tex and don't want to change that, but I'm curious what else you guys would do to give her some bling-factor?

_Mike
what dealer did you use that you are bad-mouthing it so much?

congrats on the purchase - fantastic machine...

I would say xenon fog lamps, window tint and x-pipe for exhaust - let me know your thoughts!

Chris
Old 11-28-2009, 11:41 AM

w164
We bought it from Loeber in a suburb of Chicago. Nightmare.

I'm with you on the xenons, actually, we got them! In addition to the P2 package, we got the optional xenon/headlight washer system/corner-illuminating fog light package, and the sport package with the aluminum/rubber running boards and 19" AMG 5-spoke wheels. But, man, 20's look way better, and I absolutely love the look of the black Brabus 9-spokes:

I mean, come ON now that's sexy...

I'm going to go check out the x-pipe. Tint-wise, California forces totally different standards on the windshield and driver's side window, so you always end up looking like you got about halfway done and changed your mind. At least, it looks like that to me. If I could get a good tint all-around I'd be totally with that.

_Mike
Old 11-28-2009, 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG

I'm with you on the xenons, actually, we got them! In addition to the P2 package, we got the optional xenon/headlight washer system/corner-illuminating fog light package, and the sport package with the aluminum/rubber running boards and 19" AMG 5-spoke wheels. But, man, 20's look way better, and I absolutely love the look of the black Brabus 9-spokes:

I'm going to go check out the x-pipe. Tint-wise, California forces totally different standards on the windshield and driver's side window, so you always end up looking like you got about halfway done and changed your mind. At least, it looks like that to me. If I could get a good tint all-around I'd be totally with that.

_Mike
Sorry to hear that - I know the Loeber's..

I agree, wheels do look good..

I just moved away from Chicago but am pretty sure that they just lifted the ban on front window tint - check it out, but I'm pretty sure I'm right...

Throw some 20 or 30% all around and it will look sexy!

Oh, and I know you got xenons (saw your P2 in first post), but I'm talking about thowing an HID kit in the fog lamp housings...

I bet you love your full-led rear tail-lamps!
Old 11-28-2009, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2

_Mike
Sport package with running boards is standard on the ML550. Can't get it any other way. As for your choice of wheels my personal opinion is that they are terrible and do not befit the appearance of the vehicle. If you must change the wheels keep looking for others and not black ones.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:25 PM

w164
You don't like the black, huh? Well I'm with Brabus on this one; I dig it. I've never liked black rims before, either, but this combo works for me. Who knows; I like to give myself time to get over it, but that first impression was good, and that says a lot.

Oh, by the way, first thing we did today was take the ML550 and 4MATIC emblems off.

_Mike

Last edited by mverta; 11-28-2009 at 09:37 PM.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:40 PM

w164
Originally Posted by WWMIndy
I just moved away from Chicago but am pretty sure that they just lifted the ban on front window tint - check it out, but I'm pretty sure I'm right...
We brought the car home to California, where you're only allowed the top 4" of non-reflected tint on the windshield, the driver/passenger windows must allow 70% light in. The rest can be whatever. 30% tint... I dunno...

_Mike

Trending Topics

Old 11-28-2009, 10:01 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55 AMG
Get the chrome fins that go right over the hood fins. I had those on my ML350. I'd also get some wheels and maybe a mild suspension drop.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
We brought the car home to California, where you're only allowed the top 4" of non-reflected tint on the windshield, the driver/passenger windows must allow 70% light in. The rest can be whatever. 30% tint... I dunno...

_Mike
Gotcha - thought you lived in Chi...

I still say go for it
Old 11-29-2009, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
You don't like the black, huh? Well I'm with Brabus on this one; I dig it. I've never liked black rims before, either, but this combo works for me. Who knows; I like to give myself time to get over it, but that first impression was good, and that says a lot.

Oh, by the way, first thing we did today was take the ML550 and 4MATIC emblems off.

_Mike
Well its more than the black but the entire styling of the wheels.. As for removing the emblems thats a personal decision. My take when I see that is that the car had been hit and repaired and the body shop neglected to replace the emblems. As for tint, cops hate that and around here even though its legal you will have a high likelyhood of being pulled over particularly downtown. Seems that many dealers in illegal stuff do that. I personally like the AMG wheels that are standard and the rear light tint thats standard. Don't make your ML look like the operative word in your title "pimp"

Last edited by sosh; 11-29-2009 at 04:23 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:29 PM

w164
There's definitely that line - taking a carefully planned an engineered $60-70k vehicle and just putting plastic crap on it, and generally disregarding its vibe and intent, and then there's realizing that that same carefully planned and engineered vehicle was consciously made to appeal to the widest possible target demographic, which means nothing too bold or aggressive; often the very things which make something exceptional.

I remove the emblems for philosophical reasons. Stuff like rims, I'm letting myself sit with my ideas to see if I get over them.

_Mike
Old 11-29-2009, 02:55 PM

'08 IS F; '09 ML 320 Bluetec; '10 X5 35d
I also like the black wheels.

We'll be putting on a similar set (ie. black face/chrome lip) in the spring...just can't decide whether to go with 20's or 22's.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:51 AM

Suzuki Burgman Executive
Ive had nothing but good experiances with Loeber, the service dept is great I get my ML500 and my CLK500 serviced there, imo they really know how to treat you right in the service dept. My ML500 is due for service in 1k so I'll see if they slipped and yes tints are legal in chicago to an extent, if the car came with no tints all over you can go up to 35% but on the other hand if the car came with tints from the factory your are only limited to 50% in the front.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:20 AM

w164
Our experience was bad; comically bad. So bad it'd be funny except it's not. Maybe I'll be able to talk about it in awhile without wanting to break things. One of the highlights was where a salesman was actually screaming at my wife over the phone. Anyway, we got the car, and got that Loeber sticker off the back within 24 hours. Next time we need a Mercedes, instead of going to Loeber, I'm going to push my ***** into a Cuisinart. It'll be less painful.

_Mike
Old 12-02-2009, 02:46 AM

Suzuki Burgman Executive
Our experience was bad; comically bad. So bad it'd be funny except it's not. Maybe I'll be able to talk about it in awhile without wanting to break things. One of the highlights was where a salesman was actually screaming at my wife over the phone. Anyway, we got the car, and got that Loeber sticker off the back within 24 hours. Next time we need a Mercedes, instead of going to Loeber, I'm going to push my ***** into a Cuisinart. It'll be less painful.

_Mike
hahahaha lmfao!!! Ouch, salesmen are pigs. I had issues with Autohause on Edens, I knew the GM really well theyre and they still treated me like crap, but thats life.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:38 PM

2013 GL550
What brand of X-pipe is recommended and who has done it and what kind of gains are noticed by doing this?
Old 12-30-2009, 12:15 AM

'04 E55 - Brilliant Silver; '22 RAM TRX - Granite

_Mike
Any special technique for removing those emblems?
Old 12-30-2009, 08:44 AM

2010 ML350
Originally Posted by Let's Roll
Any special technique for removing those emblems?
You can use a hair dryer to warm/soften the adhesive on the back of the letters. While doing this, have someone take a piece of dental floss (unwaxed works best) and gently slide it back and forth underneath the letters and they should come right off. You can remove any leftover residue with rubing alcohol and a microfiber towel. Be sure to turn the towel frequently or you will end up smearing the residue instead of removing it.

Kevin