M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

ML300 CDI 4matic strange noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML300 CDI
ML300 CDI 4matic strange noise

Hi all,

As this is my first post here would like just to say coming from Europe /Belgium.

Anyway I have problems with my ML300 4matic which is old 3month's + -

Problem 1:
Bad smell behind left wheel sometimes not always but smell like someone burning plastic or you drive under hand break (which I dont )

Dealer Answer:
This is normal ,thats some kind of filter they say which is letting go bad things from the car and smelling because that filter heat up up to 900 degree Celsius

Problem 2: This week I had strange noise coming from engine front left (I have read some posts here but I am not sure if this is same noise like guys discussed before so I am putting link here for you Benz masters to hear if this is normal.. Here is download link:
http://rapidshare.com/files/456457659/mlnoise.m4a

Problem is I went with dealer both times but by the time I get there that noise stop so today I have recorded on my mobile file is above also gave them to listen that what is going on and anser again the same "Thats Normal"

So if someone is out there and know what this could be I am ready to fight back without knowledge is hard to do anything when they say this is normal

Thanks in advance
Daniel

p.s.Sorry for reposting this someone suggested to put my question again here because I have posted on wrong part of the forum before here
Old 04-08-2011, 11:33 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
Daniel74,
welcome, and congrats on the ML.
For problem number 1, it is normal. The Diesel Particulate Filter is doing what it should, and when the vehicle is new, you will notice a burning rubber smell from under the vehicle.
For problem number 2, please give more information.
Take care.
Old 04-09-2011, 04:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML300 CDI
Originally Posted by dgiturbo
Daniel74,
welcome, and congrats on the ML.
For problem number 1, it is normal. The Diesel Particulate Filter is doing what it should, and when the vehicle is new, you will notice a burning rubber smell from under the vehicle.
For problem number 2, please give more information.
Take care.
Hi dgiturbo,

Thanks on answer, ok problem 1 solved it looks less and less I can hear that smell so probably will be gonne with time carhas just just 5000km .

About problem 2 , it's bad sound in front left its like engine shaking once I release gas pedal ,but it's not only when I stop and press pedal full its also during the driving,but not always this week I had 2 times and last 3 months nothing this is first time I hear this. Dealer told me it's normal but "How come that's normal when I never had this from the begining"?

I think you can hear better here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIgLAZ2R6rc

Just listen once I release pedal on the end that sound ,sorry I dont know how to explane more than listening that sound once pedal is released ,but I know that never had this before as I would hear that sound it's kinda loud once it comes.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 ML350 4matic
lose or bad motor mount on that side? It is certainly not normal....