M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

First Class Rims + Tires Protection.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 06:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 E350 BlueTec, 2011 VW Jetta TDI
First Class Rims + Tires Protection.

I just leased a 2011 ML350BT and added the Rims + Tire warranty which covers:
1. All rims + tires for damage due to road hazard such as a pothole, nail, tree limb or other debris.
2. Rim repair for most scraps, scratches and other cosmetic damage.
3. Coverage includes mounting, balancing, parts and labour.
4. No limit to the number of occurrences that can be claimed.

The costs is CAD$900.00 for 3 years.
For an additional $100.00 I got the coverage extended to 5 years.

The ML350BT comes with RFT which are very expensive to replace and my rims are 20" 10-spoke bi-colour alloy wheels.
When you add this to the lease payments it's an additional $28/month so IMO it's worth it for peace of mind during my 3-year lease term.

I declined the First Class Lease Protection for $1,300.00.
This lets you walk away at the end of the lease even if the vehicle needs lots of work done to fix scratches + dents, cracked or broken glass, paint damage, bumper damage, tires with less than 3.2mm tread, rim damage, broken trims or mouldings or missing parts.

My intention is to buy the ML at the end of the lease if it is reliable and trouble free.
If not I might just get a new lease on the new model at the time.

Any comments would be appreciated.
Should I take this coverage?
Old 06-29-2011, 10:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
I don't think #2 is accurate - I believe the policy only covers road hazard damage (excludes curb rash, etc).

Also, while there may be no limit on the number of claims, there is an aggregate $ maximum per policy.

Finally, the warranty is only valid if the wheel does not seal to the tire. For example, if you bend a rim but the tire still holds air, claim isn't valid.

Regardless of these three points, the Tire & Rim Protection is well worth $900.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 DIESEL ML
I took both the lease protection and the tire/rim. I have the 20's and the Toronto highways get pretty nasty with potholes in the spring. I didn't think the lease protection was a bad deal given some of the lease return horror stories, however, returning my well used 2008 C350 was completely painless.
Love the ML....I wish I went Grand Edition. When I bought mine in March there were NONE available. So far, very, very pleased with the ML. I actually like filling it up...feels good.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by YYZ-E55
I don't think #2 is accurate - I believe the policy only covers road hazard damage (excludes curb rash, etc).

Also, while there may be no limit on the number of claims, there is an aggregate $ maximum per policy.

Finally, the warranty is only valid if the wheel does not seal to the tire. For example, if you bend a rim but the tire still holds air, claim isn't valid.

Regardless of these three points, the Tire & Rim Protection is well worth $900.
Those text were directly quoted from the M-B brochure and the Finance Manager specifically told me he has the same protection and showed me pictures of dasmaged wheels. He said with that coverage you just bring your car in and any scuff marks on the alloys will be fixed.
Originally Posted by bdyyz
I took both the lease protection and the tire/rim. I have the 20's and the Toronto highways get pretty nasty with potholes in the spring. I didn't think the lease protection was a bad deal given some of the lease return horror stories, however, returning my well used 2008 C350 was completely painless.
Love the ML....I wish I went Grand Edition. When I bought mine in March there were NONE available. So far, very, very pleased with the ML. I actually like filling it up...feels good.
Being the Grand Edition ML I was going to buy it over at lease end since the buy out is only $27,900.00. That is why I did not take the Lease end insurance. But I will test drive the 2012 ML when it comes out this Fall and see if it is worth getting one after my lease is up in 3 years. If it is that good I will get the lease end insurance.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
Originally Posted by DC-IT
Those text were directly quoted from the M-B brochure and the Finance Manager specifically told me he has the same protection and showed me pictures of dasmaged wheels. He said with that coverage you just bring your car in and any scuff marks on the alloys will be fixed.
I'm just warning you that the info you quoted is open-ended.

""most scrapes, scratches and cosmetic damage" - not all
"No limit on the number of occurrences" - agreed, but occurrences and total claims amount are two different topics.

Just providing fair warning! Remember that the F&I Manager is a salesperson, not a service advisor/claims administrator.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:13 PM

Thanks for the heads up.

With the high costs of RFT some form of insurance is better than none and compared to the cost of the ML it's a small price to pay for some peace of mind.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:34 PM

07 E350

"No limit on the number of occurrences" - agreed, but occurrences and total claims amount are two different topics.

Just providing fair warning! Remember that the F&I Manager is a salesperson, not a service advisor/claims administrator.

There are two different packages available. 1st Class Wheel and Tire Protection and 1st Class Wheel and Tire Protection Plus. The 'Plus' coverage will cover curb damage up to $150 for reconditioning with no labor to mount and balance unless the tire/wheel looses air, in which they will cover replacement at dealership cost and a maximum of $50 (labor, weights, stems, disposal...) Neither coverage will cover a bubble on the sidewall (a major safety issue) of the tire unless the tire is dismounted and has damage to the sidewall, but they will replace the tire if there is a nail in it...
Old 07-03-2011, 10:37 PM

MBSvcAdvsr in your opinion is the First Class Tire + Rims insurance worth taking?
My worry was the high costs of RFT and here in Toronto/GTA the roads are full of potholes and I didn't want to chance having to replace rim or tire prematurely when pothole season begins every Spring.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:01 PM

07 E350
Red face

I would absolutely say that it is worth it. I have had customers get two tires replaced after a pot hole(Bay Area roads are horrible too) and the insurance paid for itself on the first claim. It's a pain in the butt for the service department (long time on the phone, delays in payment, zero-profit) but it has made countless customers happy.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:37 PM

2011 ML350 Bluetec Grand Edition, 2017 C43 AMG
The ML350BT comes with RFT which are very expensive to replace and my rims are 20" 10-spoke bi-colour alloy wheels.
Canadian Spec 2011 ML350BT do not come equipped with Run Flats. That's why the TIREFIT kit is standard.

Congrats on your Grand Edition. I bought a Diamond White ML350BT Grand Edition in March and I am quite pleased.

Mike
Old 07-06-2011, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by mike_1103
Canadian Spec 2011 ML350BT do not come equipped with Run Flats. That's why the TIREFIT kit is standard.

Congrats on your Grand Edition. I bought a Diamond White ML350BT Grand Edition in March and I am quite pleased.

Mike
Thanks Mike.
I didn't know they were not RFT!
I was told that the GE only comes in Chromite Black?
The CA told me that the White colour had some issues so M-B stopped producing that colour. I think that is a lot of BS!
I would prefer the Diamond White which is easier to keep clean.
BTW, what is the colour of your interior?

Cheers,
Old 07-06-2011, 09:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The CA told me that the White colour had some issues so M-B stopped producing that colour. I think that is a lot of BS!
Grand Edition was originally available in only Chromite Black (never before offered on ML) or Diamond White. Supply constraints on Diamond White meant that Calcite White was substituted in for cars produced approx. April onward.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MBSvcAdvsr
There are two different packages available. 1st Class Wheel and Tire Protection and 1st Class Wheel and Tire Protection Plus. The 'Plus' coverage will cover curb damage up to $150 for reconditioning with no labor to mount and balance unless the tire/wheel looses air, in which they will cover replacement at dealership cost and a maximum of $50 (labor, weights, stems, disposal...) Neither coverage will cover a bubble on the sidewall (a major safety issue) of the tire unless the tire is dismounted and has damage to the sidewall, but they will replace the tire if there is a nail in it...
The Canadian MBF Tire & Rim Protection is not the same as the US offer.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:49 AM

2011 ML350 Bluetec Grand Edition, 2017 C43 AMG
BTW, what is the colour of your interior?
Same as yours. Grand Edition only comes with a black interior with contrasting stitching. Looks really great!

Mike.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:46 AM

2011 DIESEL ML
So the good news is that I will get the chance to use my rim and tire protection. The bad news is I hit some chunk of road debris and shredded the tire. So now....I am standing on the side of a highway waiting for a tow truck at midnight whereas if I had run flats or this truck had a stinking spare I would be home in bed. The goo set up is pretty bad. Very disappointing.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:20 AM

Sorry to hear that bdyyz.
Were you on the 401?
My 335d ran over some tire debri on the 401 (guess I was following too close and couldn't avoid it) but it bounced over my front bumper and luckily flew off to the side!
If it had bounced onto my windshield I hate to think what the consequences could have been!

Fortunately there was no dents just a black tire smudge on the hood which I was able to clean off.

Thankfully you did not lose control and are OK.
Can you let us know your claim experience with your insurance?
Old 07-14-2011, 12:04 PM

2014 ML350 BlueTec.
l have the...............

Chromite Black..........a S-Class color if l am not mistaken..........and yes. the interior is wonderful..though the 12 M-Class interior looks fabulous..Though l am not sold on the exterior...too many different Benz looks for me...a little GLK, a little C-Class..too *******ized for my liking...........
Old 07-14-2011, 08:54 PM

C-rod.
My only disappointments on the Grand Edition are the omission of the following features found on the Avantgarde Package:
1. Heated steering which is needed here in Canada. I have that on my 335d.
2. Heated rear seats (why was this not included?).

But the 2012 ML350 BlueTec has the new Diesel with 240hp/455lb-ft and the location of the NAV screen near the top of the dash is better then our ML.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:53 PM

2011 DIESEL ML
Thanks DC-IT, it happened on the Gardiner Expressway. I am really glad it happened about 1km from a MB dealership and 3km from my house. Makes me wonder though, if had happened with my family or on a long trip the ramifications would be drastically different. Part of me wants to buy an ML donut tire to leave in the trunk.

So, one tow and a day in the shop later (plus $12.00 in cab fare and $3.00 in Subway fare for me) I got my ML back. They had to order the tire, but it came in a few hours.

There were absolutely no questions asked for the new tire...nothing to sign or anything. Its registered on the VIN...I am not sure if you have to take the repair to a Mercedes Benz corporate location.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by bdyyz
Thanks DC-IT, it happened on the Gardiner Expressway. I am really glad it happened about 1km from a MB dealership and 3km from my house. Makes me wonder though, if had happened with my family or on a long trip the ramifications would be drastically different. Part of me wants to buy an ML donut tire to leave in the trunk.

So, one tow and a day in the shop later (plus $12.00 in cab fare and $3.00 in Subway fare for me) I got my ML back. They had to order the tire, but it came in a few hours.

There were absolutely no questions asked for the new tire...nothing to sign or anything. Its registered on the VIN...I am not sure if you have to take the repair to a Mercedes Benz corporate location.
Didn't the dealer provide you with a loaner while your ML was being fixed?
That's not a very pleasant Mercedes ownership experience for a luxury vehicle.

Perhaps we should buy a Hyundai Equus instead!
Hyundai will pick up your Equus and drop off a loaner for you to use so you don't have to go to the dealership at all.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:51 PM

2011 DIESEL ML
Given it was towed in at 02:00am its not really their fault there wasn't a loaner. They usually have them on a day or two notice
Old 07-15-2011, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C-rod.
My only disappointments on the Grand Edition are the omission of the following features found on the Avantgarde Package:
1. Heated steering which is needed here in Canada. I have that on my 335d.
2. Heated rear seats (why was this not included?).
1) You got the AMG steering wheel as part of the GE package. No AMG wheels have heat.
2) Heated rear seats were not offered with the GE upholstery - variant reduction.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:37 PM

1) You got the AMG steering wheel as part of the GE package. No AMG wheels have heat.
2) Heated rear seats were not offered with the GE upholstery - variant reduction.
Thanks for the clarification.
Other than those two items the ML GE is a great vehicle so I can live with that.

I loved the blacked out grille with the chrome inserts as well as the tinted treatment of the head lights.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:53 AM

SL550, E350 Coupe

Occurrences and claims are the same thing, unless separately defined in the contract. Since the contract does not separately define the terms "claim" and "occurrence" or make reference to another contract/agreement, the plain (and legal) meaning of the agreement is that there is an unlimited number of claims you may file.