M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Adblue warning will not reset (any techs?)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 ML320 Bluetec
Adblue warning will not reset (any techs?)

Just bought a used bluetec, and when we bought it (at a Toyota dealership) it had a warning saying it needed Adblue. Toyota doesn't do diesel, so they didn't have anything to fill it with, but we didn't think it was a big deal...

Added about 2 gallons of DEF, and that filled it up to the tip-top (so the warning really should not have been on in the first place), and the warning did not go away. Now I've gotten to the 20 starts until the car is a brick warning.

So, I keep reading conflicting information on the forums. Most people say that it should reset itself (it's not - driven > 300 miles). Some people say there's a software glitch that causes this to happen, and dealer has to reset. I've also seen that if the tank gets empty enough to display the warning, it ALWAYS needs to be cleared by the dealer (contrary to the manual)....

So, what's the case on my 2009?

If this is something that must be reset by a dealer computer, will the universal equipment that the Toyota dealer has (pro quality computer, but not MB branded) have the ability to reset, or does it have to be a MB specific computer to do that?

Also, is there ANY way for me to read the Adblue level? I don't think there is for my model year, but I'd like some confirmation.

Thanks! I'm a VW/Audi guy, and I have a scanner for that (VAG-COM), but I'm totally MB-ignorant.

Bonus picture of the AdBlue tank for the heck of it.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 ml320 blue tec
I have the same vehicle. My experience was that the light reset on its own after being drive for a short period-maybe 10 mile. Mine needed about 5 gals to top it off. Hope that helps.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2008 ML320CDI
Take it back to the Toyota dealer, its their responsiblity to resolve the issue since it was there day 1. If they need to take it to an MB dealer than so be it. Also, depending on which state you are in the warranty is extended for emissions parts related to Adblue. I would take VIN and call MBUSA or a dealer and get the facts from them. Good luck.

Last edited by 06e320cdi; 06-26-2012 at 07:47 AM.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
X350d GLE500e 2017, ML350 BlueTec 2012(sold), A200 2013, ML350CDI 2009(sold), Aston Martin DB7 2003
Why have you removed the tank? By doing so you may have voided the warranty!
Old 06-26-2012, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 BMW 540d
My understanding has been that if you add more than a certain amount of DEF (for some reason 1 gallon rings a bell) the warning resets itself.I certainly could be wrong however.The suggestion that there's a Federal extended warranty on emissions equipment rings a bell with me as well.I'd try the dealer that sold you the car first and if that fails call the nearest MB dealer and mention the Federal Emissions System warranty.

I'll be interested to hear what happens because,among other things,I just got my first DEF warning a few days ago (at 17K miles!) and I'll see what happens when I get to the "20 starts until no start" warning.

Last edited by listerone; 06-26-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:27 PM

2009 ML320 Bluetec
First, I took off the tank because the PO had spilled DEF all over it and it was covered with the weird furry crystals that it creates when it dries, and the car has no remaining factory warranty. I wanted to prove to myself that all the electrical connectors were in good condition and would remain that way. Plus, it wasn't a big deal to remove, and I had nothing else to do Sunday.

The Toyota dealership isn't close to my house, and I really didn't think they would be able to do anything but burn up my remaining "starts", so I called the MB dealer close to my work and talked them into looking at it. The service guy was pretty sure that they had to reset the low adblue warning even tho the manual said they did not. Here is what the service guy told me:

"We took it back and cleared the codes (adblue low, low quality adblue), and when we restared the truck, the warning came right back. So I had the adblue tech look at it. He topped off the tank (took very little because I had just filled it), and went to clear the code again, but when they started it, the warning went away by itself."

Luckily I didn't get charged anything. I've driven the car about 20 miles so far and started it 4 or 5 times, and the warning has not come back.

So, I still have no idea what the problem was. At this point, the service tech couldn't tell me for sure if the system should reset itself. I think the code for low-quality adblue might have _something_ to do with it, but the service tech said he really thought that warning alone should have triggered a check engine light (which I did not have).

Who knows? Maybe the PO poured some distilled water in the tank to try and make the warning go away before they traded it in and thought they were saving themselves a costly fill up because "the dealer had to do it".

I'll post an update if the warning comes back on. Until then, I plan to check the DEF level about once a month or fill it up when it starts to slosh around because my other theory is that once it gets low enough to trigger the warning, the dealer does have to clear the code (at least on my 2009).

If anyone else has info, feel free to post it. Some people still search the forums and it might help, lol.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:29 AM

c180k 2006 model
adblue problems

adblue must not come into contact with elec conections,,,,the furry residue you have is from spillt adblue, or a leak,,,,,,,,if the tank regs empty the ecu wil store 2 fault codes filling up and running will on most be ok, but the light will need to be reset with computer, codes are always there on european vehicles for 400 days,(its a legal requirement),the other option is that the level sensor on your vehicle is faulty...........have seen this do the oppisite from yours no adblue in tank but shows full no fault ,,,,,,,,,,asked the guy do you really want me to sort this,,
Old 04-25-2014, 12:45 PM

ML 320 bluetec
I have a 2009 ML 320 Bluetec that tells me I need to add blue but the tank is full and is getting used up. Now, I have the add blue days going down and I am afraid my car wont start once it goes on zero. Any ideas
Old 04-30-2014, 10:26 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2005- E55, 2007 GL450, 94 B3000
The fill level has to be reset via SDS. This is done in the adaptations menu. Also, the adblue tank should be drained every other year, and then completely filled. A reset of the calculated fill level will then have to be performed.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:01 PM

2009 ML320 Bluetec
My 2009 complained this past Christmas about AdBlue being low. Bought 2.5 gallon box from Walmart and poured it in. No low AdBlue warning on the return trip. However 350 to 400 miles later the fuel gauge quit working. Topped the tank off with diesel and gauge resumed function.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 ml320 blue tec
Ad blue

56k on my 09 and when ever the adblue light comes on I go get the 2.5 gals and add it. The warning/dash light goes off on its own within 5-10 miles. I did have the fuel gauge sending unit replaced when it failed.