M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Check ADBLUE Light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 GL 350 Bluetec
Arrow Check ADBLUE Light

Last weekend I added 2.5 gallons of Adblue purchased from my local autoparts store. A few days and about 100 miles later I get the "Check Adblue" light on my dash display but it doesn't say anything about level or remaining starts. Today I brought it in to my local MB dealer and had them check it out among other things. Admittedly, the service writer did not know much about Blutec's, he had the Tech clear the light and also said there was campaign having to do with software on the Blutec system. Anyway, the light came back on and he said that there was something wrong with quality of the Adblue and asked if I used Mercedes Benz Adblue. I said no and that I used ISO 22241 Blue DEF purchased locally. I know there is no difference in the fluid as long as it meets the ISO specification. He said he would leave the car for the shop foreman to look at on Monday. Has anyone else had this problem? I had the system emptied and flushed at 20,000 miles. The car now has 46,000. It was not flushed a second time at 40,000 since I generally go through ADBLUE fairly often and didn't feel the need to flush it again. Is the system that sensitive? Any information would be appreciated.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 E350 BlueTec, 2011 VW Jetta TDI
AdBlue does have an expiry period.
You could check the bottle to see if it's past it's shelf life?

Other than that it is not mandatory to buy it from M-B.
I've used after market DEF on my ML and 335D without any issues so far.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:28 PM

2010 GL 350 Bluetec
I spoke to the Shop Foreman today and they are ordering a new sensor (under warranty). It is showing the level is low yet the actual Adblue level in the tank is not low. I should get it back tomorrow. When I get the repair order I will share what was actually done. So far the Dealer service department has been good.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 BMW 540d
Originally Posted by mp0i
I spoke to the Shop Foreman today and they are ordering a new sensor (under warranty). It is showing the level is low yet the actual Adblue level in the tank is not low.
It angers me that there's a potential "no start" situation with our vehicles particularly given the possibility of a malfunction of the sensors.Trucks that use AdBlue have a "limp mode" when their tanks run dry...the truck won't go over a certain speed."No start" is a safety issue.If a woman's car has a malfunction and goes into "no start" in the middle of nowhere who knows what could happen to her.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 E350 BlueTec, 2011 VW Jetta TDI
Originally Posted by listerone
It angers me that there's a potential "no start" situation with our vehicles particularly given the possibility of a malfunction of the sensors.Trucks that use AdBlue have a "limp mode" when their tanks run dry...the truck won't go over a certain speed."No start" is a safety issue.If a woman's car has a malfunction and goes into "no start" in the middle of nowhere who knows what could happen to her.
Isn't the no start only after 1,000 miles after the first warning like in the 335d?
That should give sufficient time to get the def refilled or a faulty sensor changed.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:57 PM

2010 GL 350 Bluetec
Got my car back today. Dealer dropped the Adblue tank and replaced the DEF level sensor and refilled the tank (under warranty). Everything appears to be fine. No drama, no nothing. MB and the dealer stood by their product and I am very satisfied. There was never a concern that the car wouldn't run. All I got was a "Check Adblue" light, that went away when I switched menus on the dash. It just wouldn't clear when I knew the level was at least 1/2 full.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:13 AM

ML-350 BlueTEC
Originally Posted by DC-IT
AdBlue does have an expiry period.
You could check the bottle to see if it's past it's shelf life?

Other than that it is not mandatory to buy it from M-B.
I've used after market DEF on my ML and 335D without any issues so far.
The after-market DEF is working fine in mine as well.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:34 PM

ml350 bluetec
Saw one gallon of blue at local autoparts store for $16. Is this a deal, or might it be out of shelf life date?
Old 06-30-2013, 02:46 PM

2010 GL 350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by brandmaier
Saw one gallon of blue at local autoparts store for $16. Is this a deal, or might it be out of shelf life date?
PEP Boys or other autoparts store generally charge about $15/2.5 gallons here in my area. I don't think that $16/gallon is that good of a deal.