M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Rear Camber Bar Correction For Lowered Suspension

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 02:11 PM

Received 67 Likes on 55 Posts
R230
Rear Camber Bar Correction For Lowered Suspension

For those who have lowered there ML and hate the negative camber look and horrible tire wear and loss of traction and handling I have an answer.
The oem rear end has a +/- 1/2 degree camber. not enough for any sport spring drop let alone an Airmatic 3-4" drop.
The rear can be adjusted back to 0 or anywhere inbetween with an adjusatble camber bar I have. I'm on week 2 of driving to make sure its complete and looks good so far. I will follow this up with #'s of $$ and make some people much happier soon
P.S. Bars are Aircraft grade anodized Aluminum and rod ends are Stainless

Old 10-26-2012, 12:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
I'm going to lower my R Class around 1.25", do you think I'll have issue with camber and if I do do you think the stock setup can compensate for it with an adjustment? Or will I need this kit?
Old 10-26-2012, 04:59 PM

R230
Yes You'll be in the -2.5~3 * area. The factory only has a +/- 1/2 * adjustment so unless you want that piano in the backseat look you'll need to push the camber back with some type of camber adjustable bar.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:30 AM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
2019 S560 Maybach
I want to lower my ML soon, because the fender gap is turning into a real eyesore.
I am new to lowering, but have read a lot about Eibach & HR.
Would I need this with either of these kits? (~1.5/9 front, ~1.5 rear)
Also is there something for the front tires I could use if the camber gets too bad?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
Old 10-31-2012, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
Originally Posted by Hary Gahtoe
Yes You'll be in the -2.5~3 * area. The factory only has a +/- 1/2 * adjustment so unless you want that piano in the backseat look you'll need to push the camber back with some type of camber adjustable bar.
Thanks. Can you please share where to get this kit and will it work with the W251? I'd imagine our suspension components are very similar, but not sure.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ml 420
ML 420 Adjustable Camber Kits

Originally Posted by Hary Gahtoe
For those who have lowered there ML and hate the negative camber look and horrible tire wear and loss of traction and handling I have an answer.
The oem rear end has a +/- 1/2 degree camber. not enough for any sport spring drop let alone an Airmatic 3-4" drop.
The rear can be adjusted back to 0 or anywhere inbetween with an adjusatble camber bar I have. I'm on week 2 of driving to make sure its complete and looks good so far. I will follow this up with #'s of $$ and make some people much happier soon
P.S. Bars are Aircraft grade anodized Aluminum and rod ends are Stainless

Hary,

Great work on creating these arms chap.

I live in the Uk and i'm really keen to hear more info on these arms as soon as you have it.
Nb. I'm happy to pay any postage to ship the items when the arms are available for sale.

Are you creating a set for the front of the ML? I have a 420 on Air and it would be great to be able to adjust the camber on all corners.

Look forward to your reply.

Sean
Old 09-14-2014, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML 350
Hi Hary,

Where can I get these camber rods to correct the negative camber in the rear. I have not yet installed the h&r lowering springs yet, still waiting for the bilstein hd b6 shocks to arrive.

Thanks,

Robert
Old 09-15-2014, 02:29 AM
SPONSOR

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts
Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
Originally Posted by xxGenericSNxx
I'm going to lower my R Class around 1.25", do you think I'll have issue with camber and if I do do you think the stock setup can compensate for it with an adjustment? Or will I need this kit?

For all SUV's we manufacture Front Camber and Caster and Rear Camber and Toe adjuster kits.

Since the mid 1990’s dealers and alignment shops “full 4 wheel alignment” is now only front and rear Toe adjustment!

Many owners becoming increasingly frustrated, constantly changing tire brands or going from one dealer or alignment shop to another, not realizing that the reassuring “full alignment” – the reality is above Toe only adjustment applies!

At K-MAC we saw the need therefore to reinstate the precise ongoing adjustment capability which was OEM to the 1990’s.

The unique K-MAC patented design kits are precise single wrench adjustment on car (accurately under load direct on alignment turntable).

Allowing to return vehicle to factory specs after altering height, fitting wide profile tires/rims, load carrying, curb knock damage or to change, fine tune specs on track days.

Resolving premature edge tire wear with the:

FRONT KIT
Fixing steering pull, improving traction with the Caster facility allowing reduced dive/lift under brake and acceleration with more straight line directional control – less wander at high speeds

REAR KIT
Can adjust, fine tune to reduce premature inner edge tire wear, gain maximum traction. Also includes extra Toe adjustment to cater for the new Camber facility.

Unlike the alternative “Adjustable Camber Arms” – advantage with K-MAC rear kits is that they do not move top of tire outwards (this reducing all important clearance to outer fender) when adjusting to fix premature inner edge wear.

No special tools are required to fit. The front and rear bushes also replace the highest wearing bushes at the same time and have twice the load bearing area of OEM. 2 axis movement is also maintained without the use of air voids allowing improved traction under braking and better steering response.

NOTE: W164, 166 front suspension the first bushes to fail are the lower control arm inner rear (and they are expensive to replace), K-MAC front kits include these in a uprated heavy duty design as part of the Camber and Caster kit.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:43 AM

R230
You could. Albeit If you're just going an H&R sport spring the height change isn't significant enough to need an adjustable bar.

I've used bars almost identical to these in a W208 CLK 430 with a H&R spring and Bilstein Sport shock.
The camber was in align within MB spec using the adjustable bars and worked great. In hindsight, I wished I could've had a better shock.
Problem with your W164 is going to be the sub par ride quality of Bilstein Sports. Even using a 20" tire lowered ride will seriously degrade overall ride.

I did a 20" tire/10"wide rim and it's so close in size to a factory 19" you'll regret spending that much for such a small change within a week of finishing.

Go up to a 22" tire/wheel that suits the vehicle and the Bilsteins will make you feel you traded for a lowered 98 Honda Accord. Way too harsh.
Only way to pull off a decent lowered ride height is possibly a Koni adjustable
shock with a compound double piece spring unless you have MB Air ride.

I made the camber bars for the ML from measurements needed to go 3" drop. Rear Body mounts are actually too thin and are distorted by the rod end slightly. You'll actually need to stiffen the body rear camber mounts to use something like this.