M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

ML 350 Homelink near zero range

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 ML350
ML 350 Homelink near zero range

Hi all - I just got as 2010 ML350 and the Homelink, despite many repeated attempts to program and reprogram, will not give off a strong enough signal to open the garage door(has a Chamberlain opener) from more than about 3 ft from the closed door. Also, it works only sporadically. I have corresponded with Homelink, Chamberlain and my dealer about this and tried essentially everything they suggested. We even tried building a parabolic reflector to put around the Chamberlain antenna to amplify the signal (no effect). Has anyone seen a similar issue - and if so, did you find a solution?
Thanks
pbalaw

Read more: https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w...#ixzz2cA3YwThd
Old 08-20-2013, 06:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 ML320cdi Irid.silver, 2013 VW Jetta Prem. Tdi Dsg red
I noticed the home link on my ML (08 320cdi) gives a weak signal also, although not as bad as yours. I have to be closer than a car's length away to use mine. My 2010 Subaru Outback 3.6 Limited's home link was much stronger. It would open the door from the road, about 3-4 car lengths. I don't know why the MB's signal is do weak.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 ML320 Bluetec
You can talk about it until you are blue in the face and never fix it. Should be a warranty item. Should be easy enough to prove. Have the dealer's representative drive a company car to your house and key their Homelink to your door. Then let them do the same for yours. If they get satisfactory range and you do not then they need to replace your Homelink.

Also now you have lots of experience with Homelink you know how to reset their unit to clear your door from its memory.

I trust you executed a Homelink reset on yours some time during your experiments? IIRC one of the early steps uses an existing controller to teach the Homelink what protocol to speak. Once its speaking the right dialect you then tell your garage door to accept the next controller it hears.

Can't hardly imagine any digital error causing loss of range. Digitally it should work or not, nothing in between. Thats the definition of digital.

Oh, and mine works as far as any other. At least 100'.