M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Problem with 2008 rack and pinion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 03:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 ML350
Problem with 2008 rack and pinion

I purchase my 2008 ML350 (pre-owned certified) in 2010 from a dealer in white plains ny. Since that time, I've taken the truck back several times for a wheel alignment, and also asked them to check the front end for looseness, and play in the steering wheel, especially noticeable on the highway. Each time I got the truck back I was told that everything was ok.
Well the truck is back at dealer with the same problem ... and now that the warranty has expired, they find an internal problem with the rack and pinion, which is causing the loose feeling, and play in the steering wheel. I am certain that this is a problem the should have been found while the vehicle was still under warranty ... now they want to charge me over $2000 to fix. Does anyone know of any issues or campaigns with the 2008 rack and pinion?
Old 11-25-2013, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 honda pilot
nyclad, how many miles on the ML? Yes there ARE issues with the steering rack and pump on MANY 06 to at least 2010 ML'S. There are no recalls that I know of. They should have covered it under warranty-they had to have seen the problem when they checked it prior to the end of the warranty. Insist they fix it under warranty. Believe me, if your ML had NOT been under warranty, the first time you had brought your ML in, they would have immediately diagnosed the rack and pinion problem, and fixed it right away to collect the $2000 plus it will cost you. Honest car dealers-a oxymoron.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:30 PM

2008 ML350
Hey kenleepearl, thanks for responding ... i have about 66200 miles on the truck as of today. My extended warranty ended May 22, 2013, and after looking at my previous service history via Mercedes Benz service history online, I discovered that I've been back to the dealer four times this year for a wheel alignments, and on two of those occasions, complained about looseness and play in the steering wheel (3/04/2013 and 3/18/2013). I haven't spoken to my service rep today, but i did send him a frustrated email. I also called Mercedes Benz Corp who responded by opening a case, and said that they well call the dealer and find out what's going on.

we'll see tomorrow ...
Old 12-01-2013, 01:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
99 E 300TD, 02 E320, 2013 ML350
nyclad, just talk with the service manager and try to work something out. If your ML was under warranty when this issue was present they usually will help you out. Every dealer is different but that ridiculous comment above about the dealer not fixing it because you were in warranty is stupid. Techs are all flat rate and do not get paid unless we find a problem. Believe me, everytime a car is brought in for something, we want to find a problem because that is how we get paid. If your not a tech its hard to understand how tricky and difficult some problems can be to find. Those years did have a problem with the control head leaking on the rack on certain part numbers but that did not cause looseness. Anyways let me know what they say and good luck
Old 12-01-2013, 05:26 PM

2003 honda pilot
1. The dealer makes a LOT MORE MONEY fixing a car NOT under warranty than they do fixing a car UNDER warranty-that is a FACT. Too much work done under warranty is bad for the dealers bottom line. 2.NYCLAD brought the ML SEVERAL into the dealer several times indicating the problem and the dealer said "everything ok" when it was obviously NOT ok as a problem was found soon after, when the warranty had expired-what more proof do you want. The problems with the steering rack, pump etc, are NOT "tricky and difficult" to diagnose. I don't know where mstrbenztech gets his information, but the steering rack and pump problems on the ML's have been endemic and ongoing on a large number of ML's, and there has been service bulletins on this issue. The only ridiculous comments are the ones made excusing the dealership for not fixing the problem when the ML was brought in. This problem of dealers avoiding warranty repairs, and claiming "everthing is ok" when they are not, then diagnosing the problem after the warranty has run out is S.O.P. at many dealers, despite the "tech on flat rate" comment. NOTE: Many techs work on flate rate PLUS commission-I know an Audi tech, and non-warranty work is where the action is.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:40 PM

Yes, some dealers are different and take care of the customers better than others. Also, Im a long time Mercedes tech so don't tell me they cant be "tricky" to diagnose. Im a diagnostic tech and all I work on is comebacks, noises and stuff that's hard to diagnose. Yes, the ML steering problem has bulletins but its not for internal noises or looseness, its for leaks at the control head. Most of you guys just want to bash the dealer without getting all the facts and that's a FACT. Im trying to help people out here and advise them what to do. NYCLAD, just wondering have you ever gone on a road test with anyone from the dealer?? I recommend everytime you go in for something, go on a road test with the foreman/tech. This can really help us out. I try and road test with the customer on every car I work on so I know exactly what they are experiencing.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:54 PM

NYCLAD, let me know what the dealer says. Also, try to get details on what they say is wrong with the rack. If they don't end up helping you, I could always get it in the shop and take a look at it for you to verify what they are saying is wrong
Old 12-01-2013, 05:58 PM

2003 honda pilot
If the dealership that nyclad went to, did not road test the car after it was brought in several times with looseness and play in the steering wheel that was noticeable on the highway (a dangerous condition) that service department is one to avoid. The steering rack and pinion in the 2nd gen ML's have been a known problem, and I wouldn't be surprised if nyclad also had leaks-I think there is a connection there. That problem is NOT tricky to diagnose-if one is really looking.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:08 PM

I agree, I would hope they road tested multiple times and did not just blow the concern off. I advise customers to road test with someone at the dealer so they can show them exactly what they are experiencing and then the dealer cannot say there is no problem found.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ML 350
My 08 ml350 also had problem with power steering leak.
Dealer replaced both pump and reservoir but still leaking.
mstrbenztech can you tell me where and what is control head unit is.
I would like to know if there was bulletin on this before I take it back.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:04 PM

Im sure someone can post the document number on here before I get to work tomorrow but there are 2 steering rack part numbers that are affected on your ML. The control head is the top part of the rack gear that is actually spun from the intermediate shaft. The seal is what leaks but it comes as one unit with the head. Ill be surprised if this is leaking and did not see this, its very obvious!! The rack has to be removed and new parts installed.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:34 PM

2003 honda pilot
mstrbenztech is 100% correct. The whole rack unit has to be removed. Actually the whole unit should be thrown in the garbage and a rack unit strong enough for the weight and the stresses of the ML, instead of one made for a lighter weight sedan, should be put on. I'd love to compare the rack unit of a, say 2012 ML and compare it with the rack of a 2008 ML-big difference in heft and quality. Until then the ONLY TRUE fix is the one suggested by mstrbentech. The ML I just got with 43000 miles-i've already budgeted in the price of the rack/pump going south-it will inevitably go bad-just depends upon when.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:48 AM

kenleepearl, I agree on racks not being strong enough sometimes. Not sure if your aware that the 166 chassis racks are all electric. They do have some issues but so far they have been holding up really well. The steering feels great in these in my opinion. Its nice not have the pump, lines, cooler etc. Its makes for a nice clean look and also makes it easy when we have to push a car into the shop , with the key on you have full assist!!
Old 12-28-2013, 03:56 PM

2008 ML350
Just want to thank you guys for responding to my steering issue ... you've been a tremendous help. Well after gathering copies of all my service records, and sending out numerous emails to my service rep and Mercedes Benz Corp, they replaced my brakes and rotors, (another reason i was there) replaced the steering rack and reservoir, wheel alignment ...for a little over $1900.

The steering really feel a lot better, but unfortunately its back at the dealer for bump steer coming from the right rear...? guess we'll see what they say about that ...