M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

How to adjust speed sensitive volume

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 11:26 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2008 ML320 CDI
How to adjust speed sensitive volume

I'm the new owner of a 2008 ML320 CDI. I've been setting up a few things in the car over the last couple of days, but I have not been able to find (in the manual or in the menus) a setting to adjust the speed sensitive volume. As it is currently, the system is too sensitive - too quiet stopped at a light changes to a bit too loud by 25MPH.

By the way, I have the HK audio system with the CD changer, but no DVD video.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2008 ML320CDI
Here's the location of the manual for COMMAND system.

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/servic...&class=M-Class

Also, it appears that you cannot adjust. It takes into account speed and ambient noise. See Below.

Automatic volume control
The automatic volume control feature
adjusts the volume depending on:
 vehicle speed (only in vehicles without
premium sound system*)
or
 ambient noise inside the vehicle (only
in vehicles with premium sound
system*)
Old 06-30-2014, 10:24 AM

2008 ML320 CDI
Originally Posted by 06e320cdi
Here's the location of the manual for COMMAND system.

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/servic...&class=M-Class

Also, it appears that you cannot adjust. It takes into account speed and ambient noise. See Below.

Automatic volume control
The automatic volume control feature
adjusts the volume depending on:
 vehicle speed (only in vehicles without
premium sound system*)
or
 ambient noise inside the vehicle (only
in vehicles with premium sound
system*)
Thanks.

Do you have the same sound system in your car? If so, what is your impression of the automatic volume adjustment - how well does it work for you?

In my wife's Cayenne, SSV is directly adjustable in various levels of sensitivity from the head unit's menu. I was hoping to find the same in the MB, but all I've found so far are a few references from other owners that were able to get it turned off by the dealer using special configuration hardware... also, from those reports, the only choice is to disable it, and once you do, you can't get it back.

I think I'll give my local dealer a call to see if there's anything else they can tell me about it.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML 350
I have an '09 with the upgraded HK system with the DVD player and I haven't even notice the volume automatically adjusting and I listen to music 24/7 while in the car if not on the phone. Strange to say the least as this probably would have bugged me not being able to adjust it.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:47 PM

2008 ML320 CDI
I just checked the local dealer. They said it is not adjustable. Hopefully I'll get used to it.

The manual says it should be based on internal noise in my car (with premium sound), this might be more of an issue, then, when my family is in the car and we are talking but also have music playing at (supposed to be) low volume. We talk louder, the music gets louder, we try to talk over it, so it gets louder still....
Old 06-30-2014, 12:54 PM

ML 350
Originally Posted by SQLGuy
I just checked the local dealer. They said it is not adjustable. Hopefully I'll get used to it.

The manual says it should be based on internal noise in my car (with premium sound), this might be more of an issue, then, when my family is in the car and we are talking but also have music playing at (supposed to be) low volume. We talk louder, the music gets louder, we try to talk over it, so it gets louder still....

Man that totally sucks. Especially if its that noticeable. We don't need the computer to tell us where we want our music volume!
Old 07-01-2014, 11:00 AM

2008 ML320 CDI
I called the dealer yesterday and they said they had no option to adjust it.

I also verified the behavior more closely, with no-one else in the car, and it is definitely tied to speed and definitely too aggressive. Too quiet stopped at a light gets a little too loud in one step around 25MPH, and turns to much too loud in a second step around 40MPH.

I'd much rather not have this feature at all than have it work this badly.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:41 PM

ML 350
Man, what a bummer, I'm sorry to hear that. Sounds worth researching whether or not this can be disable someway, even outside of the dealer.

I think automatic volume control should always be adjustable. We have a Lexus GX 470 and you can either turn it off or turn it on.