M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

ML63 wont start after accident

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 03:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes ml63
ML63 wont start after accident

Hello, i recently bought a 2009 ml63 from a local auction site fro salvage cars. Anyways all panels are nice and straight there is only front end damage. The front bumper is broken up little and the hood is bent about 25%.The lights are in tact and the grill is only missing the star/ fog laps are theer and so are the light washers. (i will post pictures, i dont have them at the moment) Anyways, i paid 18k for this car and it seemed like a pretty good deal. Others before have gone for 21k or even upwards of 25k. Anyways there is one problem, the engine apparently as i was told on the lot wont start. Anyways, why wont it start? airbag on driver side was also deployed and that's the only one. the engine wont crank. Is it because of fuel cutoff switches or something? (sorry for not posting pics.)Someone please guide me in the right direction. Thank You
Old 07-01-2014, 01:49 PM

2012 ML550,2009 ML63 Rentech,2010 C350 Sport
Yea it is because of the fuel cutoff switch. Once you get it repaired at a auto body shop take it to Mercedes and see if they can reprogram it.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:35 AM

Mercedes ml63
So that means fuel cutoff switch has been activated. Alright that makes sense. well after its repaired we can probably take to our local Mercedes dealer to reprogram it. Anyways here are some photos of the actual vehicle. I also had a another few question, 1) where might this fuel cutoff be located. and also on the photo of the engine bay, to the left what is the black box?and also the amg engine cover is also missing. anyways, thank you for your reply

https://www.flickr.com/photos/123969657@N04/
photos.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 Mercedes ML 350
Looks like fixing it should not be much of a problem for the right people .
Sorry that I can not help with your questions but it looks like you will come out well ahead in this deal.
Please keep us posted how it goes on .
Old 07-02-2014, 08:04 PM

'13 ML350 Bluetec, '16 Subaru Legacy; '94 Toyota Pickup
Looks sharp

I like the wheels. I hope it all works out for you.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:16 PM

Mercedes ml63
Originally Posted by beerj
Looks like fixing it should not be much of a problem for the right people .
Sorry that I can not help with your questions but it looks like you will come out well ahead in this deal.
Please keep us posted how it goes on .
We'll with right people working on it it won't be difficult to repair. I have a friend who is a Mechanic and also owns a body shop. I will keep you guys posted. By the way did you look at the photos? Anyway I will keep you guys posted
Old 07-02-2014, 08:21 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
2018 C63S
its the kill switch for the fuel
Old 07-02-2014, 08:29 PM

Mercedes ml63
Originally Posted by Vincecam
I like the wheels. I hope it all works out for you.
Hi Thanks! these are the 21" wheels that are optimal for the Ml63. I hope I can't get her fixed up as soon as possible so I can drive her. Some of the other users have given some insight. However I still have some questions. Anyways I was thinking of upgrading the wheels to asanti Monoblock 502 22" but I'm not really sure if I should upgrade or stay stock. Also does the Ml63 have high or low offset? Anyways thanks for the support ! I will try to have her fixed up as sat as possible! Thanks

http://www.discountedwheelwarehouse....%2Es&pID=45853
Old 07-02-2014, 08:35 PM

Mercedes ml63
Hi we'll the the ml63 will be here in about 2-3 days it's on its way. But I'm still not sure about the black box next to the little green piece in the photos of the engine. Also since only one airbag is deployed do you think the engine damage could be possible? The amg engine cover thing is also missing. I'm worried if the ml will crank or not. It's most likely the fuel cutoff as many of you have mentioned. Where is it located? Also as shown in the pics on the above link in one of posts, the pass anger and curtain and all other airbags were not deployed. Only driver side was deployed. So I really hope that because it's minor damage that it should start. Also does anyone know where I may be able to find parts for her in BC Canada, near Vancouver or on USA Near Seattle ? Anyways somebody please guide me in the right direction.i will keep you guys updated on it.also if someone knows what options list is for a 2009 ml63 that would be awesome to have. Please tell me which options are standard and optional equipment. Please loo at the pics as we'll and please assess the damage. I appreciate all of the support. Thank you

Last edited by shinystorm0; 07-03-2014 at 02:08 AM.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2008 ML320CDI
Originally Posted by shinystorm0
Hi we'll the the ml63 will be here in about 2-3 days it's on its way. But I'm still not sure about the black box next to the little green piece in the photos of the engine. Also since only one airbag is deployed do you think the engine damage could be possible? The amg engine cover thing is also missing. I'm worried if the ml will crank or not. It's most likely the fuel cutoff as many of you have mentioned. Where is it located? Also as shown in the pics on the above link in one of posts, the pass anger and curtain and all other airbags were not deployed. Only driver side was deployed. So I really hope that because it's minor damage that it should start. Also does anyone know where I may be able to find parts for her in BC Canada, near Vancouver or on USA Near Seattle ? Anyways somebody please guide me in the right direction.i will keep you guys updated on it.also if someone knows what options list is for a 2009 ml63 that would be awesome to have. Please tell me which options are standard and optional equipment. Please loo at the pics as we'll and please assess the damage. I appreciate all of the support. Thank you
The black box you refer to is the main relay box. If its crumpled, you may end up needing that as well. I am not sure how repairable it is. You keep saying engine wont crank, do you mean not even turn over, or it turns over but will not start. If it does in fact crank over, but not start, then the fuel cutoff could be the cause, however, if it wont even turn over, I think the problem is going to be in that relay box. Good luck.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:10 PM

Mercedes ml63
Originally Posted by 06e320cdi
The black box you refer to is the main relay box. If its crumpled, you may end up needing that as well. I am not sure how repairable it is. You keep saying engine wont crank, do you mean not even turn over, or it turns over but will not start. If it does in fact crank over, but not start, then the fuel cutoff could be the cause, however, if it wont even turn over, I think the problem is going to be in that relay box. Good luck.
Hi, we'll that clears up a few of my questions. So the black box is the relay box. In the pics it looks like the cover is off off of it so I hope that it should be fine. We'll on the lot where I purchased the ml63 It didn't crank at first after a few tries it sounded like it was starting as the crankshaft was turning however the engine didn't start most likely due to the duel cutoff switch. Is that also in they relay box? Anyways when the Ml63 arrives I will take a look at the damage and try to repair as soon as possible. I also just wanted I ask do you think that this was a good deal For the price and damage? Thank you very much for your guidance I really appreciate it. Thank you
Old 07-03-2014, 01:47 PM

2008 ML320CDI
I dont really know whether or not its a good deal, I know AMG's are an exception, as they are a limited production vehicle. If that vehicle were selling in PA, even in fair conditions it would go for 38K from private party. I would say this one is below fair. If you are in fact going to put her back together, I would use MB parts and not some knockoffs, thus retaining as much value as possible. You wont know until you start tearing it down what else is wrong. Just by looking I would guess, airbag, front fender(s), hood, radiator, ac condenser etc. You may be looking at 10K just in parts. That being said, if you get in and decide to part it out, you probably can make your money back. I dont know if this is available to CAN residents, but epc.startekinfo.com is MB's online parts. You can enter the VIN, and then create a shopping list, it shows exploded views of parts etc. No prices, but you could shop some of the MB dealers that have online part stores directmercedesparts.com, is one that comes to mind. Best of luck, I hope it works out in your favor.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:37 AM

Mercedes ml63
well the ml63 arrived today and the damage is minor to repair. Anyways, i have heard that the exhaust doesn't sound as good as i hoped it would have. What is the best exhaust on the market for this ml63 w164 and or should i just take out the cats and resonators?
Also has anyone done this before? does the cel light come on? anyways, does someone have a video of the sound with no cats and resonator delete? Thanks
Old 07-08-2014, 09:00 PM

2006 Mercedes ML 350
My advice is to leave Mercedes to be Mercedes as much as possible .
Everything that you install that is not OEM will reduce the value .
I am burning up to see this AMG running again .
Old 07-10-2014, 03:08 AM

Mercedes ml63
My advice is to leave Mercedes to be Mercedes as much as possible .
Everything that you install that is not OEM will reduce the value .
I am burning up to see this AMG running again .
We'll the ml63 arrived and it's been a few days. I have started taking it apart and inspecting it for what damage has occurred. It looks alright. Even the parking sensors in the front work which is surprising. I will try to get it on the road as soon as possible. I will be using OEM parts so that she will look her best. It's also a fully loaded which is a plus!!!!!!! It has rest seat entertainment and keyless go, backup camera and a lot more. I will try to keep it as stock as possible. However I may want to renntech tune it or change up the wheels. I will still keep this set and also have a second set for winter or vice versa. Also about the exhaust do you recommend that I take out the cats resonators and muffler or just muffler an resonators? I have heard the exhaust on it a few days a go when a friend of mine brought his to the shop it's sounds ok but it's not really what I expected. I know that the c63 with same engine sounds great and with not resonators or cats it sounds like a true beast. Anyways i will keep you guys posted!
Old 07-10-2014, 09:41 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2008 ML320 CDI
Where do you live? Removing cats is technically a fine-able offense nationwide, but is not inspected in a many places. Here in Colorado Springs you could probably get away with it. Denver would be harder. California would likely be impossible.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:28 AM

Mercedes ml63
Originally Posted by SQLGuy
Where do you live? Removing cats is technically a fine-able offense nationwide, but is not inspected in a many places. Here in Colorado Springs you could probably get away with it. Denver would be harder. California would likely be impossible.
well if not cats i was thinking of removing resonators and mufflers.This would allow for a more free exhaust system and sound would of course be improved. I live in Vancouver BC.there have been lots of people who have decatted cars.Lots in terms of exotics so Mercedes, BMW Porsche etc It isnt really a problem in most parts. In delta , a city in BC the police is kinda tough but not really and some of them are ***** but then again i would say they are still nicer than many police forces at most it might be a warning or ticket. In Vancouver since it has lots of exotics I believe it should be fine. I will keep the cats and all of the resonators and mufflers if i need to put them back for inspection or air care.Anyways do you think the car will sound better with only cats removed or resonators and cats or resonators and mufflers or all three cats resonators and mufflers removed? I will keep you guys posted Thanks
Old 07-11-2014, 07:57 AM

2008 ML320CDI
Originally Posted by shinystorm0
well if not cats i was thinking of removing resonators and mufflers.This would allow for a more free exhaust system and sound would of course be improved. I live in Vancouver BC.there have been lots of people who have decatted cars.Lots in terms of exotics so Mercedes, BMW Porsche etc It isnt really a problem in most parts. In delta , a city in BC the police is kinda tough but not really and some of them are ***** but then again i would say they are still nicer than many police forces at most it might be a warning or ticket. In Vancouver since it has lots of exotics I believe it should be fine. I will keep the cats and all of the resonators and mufflers if i need to put them back for inspection or air care.Anyways do you think the car will sound better with only cats removed or resonators and cats or resonators and mufflers or all three cats resonators and mufflers removed? I will keep you guys posted Thanks
Personally, I am confident the AMG group has tuned this vehicle to maximum performance using what is on it. I doubt you are going to get any more bang for your buck by altering the exhaust..
Old 07-11-2014, 01:54 PM

ML
Looks like your from Edmonton, AB from the Weber Motors sticker? If which body shop are you taking it too? I would highly recommend Jim Young Collision.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:26 PM

Mercedes ml63
Originally Posted by UR2SLO
Looks like your from Edmonton, AB from the Weber Motors sticker? If which body shop are you taking it too? I would highly recommend Jim Young Collision.
Hello, well the ML63 is from Edmonton, Alberta because thats where it was given its salvage title. A couple of my friends from Edmonton brought to us on a flat bed truck. The ML63 is currently in Vancouver, British Colombia. Anyways i have her sitting in my garage at the moment and removed the bumpers the lights etc so that we can see what kind of damage has occurred. I appreciate the suggestion to use Jim Young collision. However the ml63 isnt in Alberta any more. Anyways in BC i have friend who owns a local craftsman collision and will most likely get the work done by him. Anyways i was thinking of modifying her a little bit by adding darker 1% tint and some 22'' , decatted and maybe even renntech ecu tuning. I will keep you guys posted and post some more pics. I appreciate your suggestion thank you! i will keep you guys posted! the ml63 should back on road in maybe a few weeks at most. once again i appreciate the suggestions thanks!.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:37 PM

Mercedes ml63
Originally Posted by 06e320cdi
Personally, I am confident the AMG group has tuned this vehicle to maximum performance using what is on it. I doubt you are going to get any more bang for your buck by altering the exhaust..
well i guess your right it wouldnt really add much power to the ml63 because it already has 507hp and 465lbft of torque. I mostly want to take out the resonators and mufflers maybe cats for improved sound. one of friends brought his ml63 to the shop some time ago it didn't sound as impressive as i would have hoped. It was also a face lifted version i believe it was 2010 ml63. Some cars with the same engine sound much more impressive such as the c63 and e63 the w211. They sound much better and have more depth to the sound. I was wondering if maybe modifying the exhaust could make it sound more like this:
link:

if it could sound like that it would be amazing! I really want to make the exhaust sound like this to show the power of the 6.2L naturally aspirated engine. it would be awesome if it can sound like the one in the video. although different the engine is the same thus the sound should match. Also would a c63 exhaust fit the ml63? the difference in length of the cars is only 4inches give or take.Anyways i will keep you guys posted!

Anyways i will keep you guys posted Thanks!

Last edited by shinystorm0; 07-14-2014 at 03:51 AM.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:34 PM

2006 Mercedes ML 350
Is there no up-date at this time ?
Whats the progress report ?
Old 08-06-2014, 03:26 AM

Mercedes ml63
We'll at the current moment I have ordered parts for her. I have ordered a new hood, front bumper and mounts etc. Also does anyone know whee to get an illuminated Mercedes star? I will keep you guys posted!!
Old 08-06-2014, 03:52 AM

2006 Mercedes ML 350
Were you able to find the hood and bumper in the right color or do you need a new paint job ?
Old 08-23-2014, 02:27 AM

Mercedes ml63
Were you able to find the hood and bumper in the right color or do you need a new paint job ?
Hi sorry i havent been able to reply for awhile. I have the parts ordered and they are coming from germany. I have the the mounts for the hood, radiator, ac condenser at the moment. The hood and bumper are coming from germany and also a new front grille.The bumper is oem color same with the hood. the ml63 is in the bodyshop at the moment. I have also spoken to MB of Vancouver for updated comand system software and newer rear screens. those will be fitted after rebuild. It should be done before the end of august. Once again i apologize for not responding to the posts on the mbworld forum. I will keep you guys updated.Also same question as last time, how would i get the exhaust to sound better and more like an sls amg. they both use a similar engine so the sound should be relatively the same. Thanks!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ML63 wont start after accident